Alpine MRV-1000 repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could the use of mains powered kit as the source be the cause of my problems?

I checked the cd player (tascam CD-RW901) and the RCA shields were definitely 0 ohms to the case of the unit and the mains earthing pin.

Would running a head unit off the same supply as the amp be the best solution?

Mains powered equipment (in the US) is isolated from ground unless it has a 3-pin power plug. Even then, the audio may have isolation.

For now, simply connect the input RCA shields of the amp to the primary ground on the amp. Then it shouldn't make a difference what you use as long as the shield ground in the signal source is intact.

A normal head unit with its ground connected to the power supply feeding the amp would do this. This is what amplifiers expect to see as a source.

That seems to have solved it. I'll have to do this as standard practice from now on as floating input grounds seem to cause all manner of issues.

It mutes ok both at switch on and switch off but it does seem to un-mute as the caps discharge after switch off which allows some noise through the speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.