Alpair 10P vs A12P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right, it's not a published design, it's an MLTL I just whipped up for the 10.3 to ~meet the desired 30Hz target. So I can't tell you specifically how it sounds. I don't much like attempting to give subjective descriptions anyway since I lack the writing skill of, say, Srajan at 6moons. FWIW though:

-Since I've tuned it low, outright SPLs & dynamic range will be somewhat reduced compared to one tuned slightly higher. It's not terrible as you can see, but it's a bit more than I personally care for.

-The alignment itself is slightly damped as you can see; it may need a little extra damping in practice though depending on room position & acoustics.

-I used a 2in vent to keep the duct length reasonable; this does mean mach is a little higher than I like. Again, it's not bad, but higher than I personally like.

-General characteristics should be exactly what you'd expect from the 10.3 in pretty much any well-designed vented box, BR, MLTL or whatever. It's assumed to be lined throughout with 1in acoustic fibreglass for Hi-Vac ducts, Ultratouch or similar.

Last edited:
Scott any plans to publish it soon. I looks somewhat similar to Bob Brines MLTL in SPL. His website has an MLTL for A10.2 with plots. Not sure about A10P he does not mention anything there. Bob did you make any changes to the existing MLTL for A10.2 to fit A10P. Is there any plots available with A10P MLTL ?

Scott - since I don't generally search for or pay much attention to such modeling graphics, ( I just build the damned stuff) - how would those compare to Pensils for the same drivers?

The drawings for those are already published, but presumably the graphs would predict some performance differences that may or not be subjectively significant?

As for prosaic superfluity, Sjaran certainly does sometimes remind me of Salman Rushdie's more flowery magical realism contortions;)

Not that much Bob. ;) Two or three inches judging from the dimensions on your site. You have mail.

Chris -basically, this box has about 10Hz more on the bottom end & a more reactive impedance load. The pensil alignment is a higher gain type sometimes used in pro-audio & targets a flatter impedance load, fairly close to a TL. This does of course vary depending on how people decide to stuff it. If you'll forgive the expression... :D

Last edited:
Ha! Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Attachments

• Spanish_inquisition.jpg
    Spanish_inquisition.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 393
well, I think he's addressed the question as best as he could here (post 11) :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/242790-my-favorite-alpairs-2.html#post3639442

when I say "as best as he could" I mean that he'd probably say, not for the first time, that on a good day he might be able pick his favorite for a particular application (room, type of music) but would probably like avoid answering a definitive "best in this box" like an Internal Revenue audit of personal expenses charged to the company ;)

oh, yes, I think the answer was same basic box, but adjustments to stuffing and port length required - but didn't specify the latter if he even has the figures?

of course, I'm probably out of place second guessing his reply - the delay was probably due to still recovering from his birthday celebrations, I understand it takes longer to get 'ur done after a certain age :)

Last edited:
Bob I see the measurements of your M10-A10 with A10M. So I was wondering if you have any with A10P? Does both drivers have the same T/S parameters? Did you make any design changes for A10P to include in the M10-A10 MLTL enclosure?

The FR plot on the web page is the A10(M).2. The A10(M).3 and the A10P.1 go in the same box with a bit of retuning. When (if) you get the plans, I will reveal all.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.