Aloha F5 v3 Monoblock build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're coming along nicely... What else is still on the shopping list?
I'm putting together my order at McMaster for all the fasteners to put the chassis together. Trying to get as much as I can on this order. What is the recommended size fastener for the chips to the heatsinks? In your build guide you have a hex headed bolt and a washer. Is it best to use the Keratherm pads from the DIY store?

Thanks in advance

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Using a deluxe chassis from the diyAudio store?

IMG_1352_zps9fb0c96c.jpg

Mounting hardware -
M3x5mm (PCB to standoff)
M3x10mm (Mosfet-heatsink)
M3 standoffs, 5mm thread depth (PCB-heatsink)
Fender washers (For mosfet)

( I don't know what exactly the screws are for the IEC, it's more a function of the actual piece you use, but likely countersunk M2 or M3)

Yes, use the Keratherm pads from the store.

Last edited:
Using a deluxe chassis from the diyAudio store?

IMG_1352_zps9fb0c96c.jpg

Mounting hardware -
M3x5mm (PCB to standoff)
M3x10mm (Mosfet-heatsink)
M3 standoffs, 5mm thread depth (PCB-heatsink)
Fender washers (For mosfet)

( I don't know what exactly the screws are for the IEC, it's more a function of the actual piece you use, but likely countersunk M2 or M3)

Yes, use the Keratherm pads from the store.

Thanks for the info!

But no, I'm not using the DIY chassis. That would be too easy ;)

I'm building my own. I just received my aluminum flat stock pieces for the top and bottom, front and back, and platform for the large dia caps.

Now a few hours of drilling and taping ahead of me

image.jpg

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the info!

But no, I'm not using the DIY chassis. That would be too easy ;)

I'm building my own. I just received my aluminum flat stock pieces for the top and bottom, front and back, and platform for the large dia caps.

Now a few hours of drilling and taping ahead of me

View attachment 438186

Haaha same here...:) seeing all that aluminum makes me want to build something....
Good luck.

More parts have arrived, fasteners from McMaster, Toshiba K170 and J74 Jfets from Spencer, Toshiba 2SJ201/2SK1530 Mosfets from Tech-DIY, Keratherm insulators, and speaker and soft start boards from DIY store;

image.jpg

The mosfets from Tech-DIY were ordered matched. This is how they are marked;

K1530
1.72, 172, 1.72, 171, 2.20, 2.21, 2.21, 2.21

J210
222, 222, 223, 223, 194, 195, 195, 195

Are these number close enough for this build?

So many parts to order! I'm putting a spread sheet together with all the boards BOM's marked up with what I'm buying different and pricing for comments.

I'm trying to buy all the hard to find and long lead parts first.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Mosfet are completely and overkilly well matched. You have 2 sets of 4 per channel.

There is no reason to match N to P, so don't worry about it at all.

The rest of the parts are available form Mouser or Digi-Key, in stock an ready to ship Monday morning.

Comments -

DO NOT install the soft-start and/or DC protection board until the amp is completely operative, tested and burnt-in. Use the CL-50 or -60 for inrush protection in the meantime.

The Mosfet are completely and overkilly well matched. You have 2 sets of 4 per channel.

There is no reason to match N to P, so don't worry about it at all.

The rest of the parts are available form Mouser or Digi-Key, in stock an ready to ship Monday morning.

Comments -

DO NOT install the soft-start and/or DC protection board until the amp is completely operative, tested and burnt-in. Use the CL-50 or -60 for inrush protection in the meantime.
Thanks for taking time to comment and the confirmation on the Mosfet's.

Buying straight from the published F5 Turbo BOM would be too easy ;) and does not show the magnitude of all the other parts that need to be purchased to build the whole amplifier. Especially if you color outside the lines a little.

I'm assuming your comments about the soft-start and speaker protection implementation are referencing to independently verify the operation of each system of the amp prior to integration to minimize troubleshooting? Or other?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Buying straight from the published F5 Turbo BOM would be too easy

But strongly suggested.

independently verify the operation of each system of the amp prior to integration to minimize troubleshooting?

Yes. Build the amp. Get it working. Build the soft start, install, get working properly, build DC board, get operative, install.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.