Alesis RA-100 Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK. This reqires a bit of explanation. I like the combination of push pull EL84 pentodes with Kimber 4TC braided loudspeaker cable. The cable is very low inductance high bandwidth. The cable exposes inherent HF distortions in amp, and serves as some kind of tone control, adds a pinch of sharpness to LF. (Very few transistor amps sounds good to me with this high capacitance cable, transformer coupling helps here). It is impossible to replicate this "tone control" with opamp based preamplifiers. The bottom line is that this combination gives pleasure in listening, no matter how technically flawed.
Here is a reading material for you.

Here is a reading material for you.

I know many things described in this text, but not all. But, it is all in one place and very useful to read. Thanks for the link.

With transformer coupled valve amps, high capacitance is not an issue that affects stability. It is more of an issue with transistor amps. I remember 23 years ago my friend used two runs of Kimber 4TC (bi-wire) with Audiolab integrated and it triggered output protection, turned amp off. I think that capacitance of 1m of Kimber 4TC is about three times as ordinary dual core loudspeaker cable (around 150pF).

All I can say is that some people do not hear the differences between cables, but I do. But I can not say that more expensive is "better", that you must invest a fortune in cables, all I say is that different cables sound different. As I type this I am using ordinary lightning flex 16 gauge for a speaker wire with transistor amp. With the amp I use it sounds excellent. Also, cables are directional. I conducted many tests and concluded that all cables sound better in one direction, especially interconnect cables.

all I say is that different cables sound different.
Same cable can sound different too. All you have to do is turn you head little bit while listening and you will notice it.
Also, cables are directional. I conducted many tests and concluded that all cables sound better in one direction, especially interconnect cables.
I've seen claims of those posted on internet but no proof of those.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.