Aleph-X Official PCB rev Beta & 1.0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chad,

Take your time so that you can play around with the Beta board before you order the Rev 1.0 boards.
We don`t need to ruin your Christmas!

I haven`t time to use these boards before January anyway...

I don`t think anyone have such a hurry to get the boards.
Price and quality are more important :D
Anyone?

Again, thanks for doing this! :cheerful:

Remember, no matter how many boards you get, NO spin-outs, NO opening your Aleph-X clone business, NO reselling for 50 bucks a pop or anything of the sort ARE ALLOWED. :skull: That would seriously **** me and a few others off :redhot: and force us to start taking appropriate measures :headshot: .
A stereo in everyroom of the castle like Harvardian is ok, friends and family is ok too but that's about it.

I ordered 6 beta boards and 20 rev. 1 boards. This is my justification:

6 boards for basement home theater
4 boards for my workshop
2 boards for kitchen stereo
2 boards for computer system
6 boards for bedroom home theater
2 boards for garage
4 boards for friends

And I'm not mentioning here my main system which will be still p2p silver wired and is using 4 channels, but in a future be upgraded to 6 channels.;)

This is the best amp I've built and I will be converting all my other amps to Aleph X. When you calculate the total cost, it suddenly comes apparent that you can have very good amp for very little money. Why not use this opportunity?
I was the first one against the group purchase, but since it went through....:angel:

Opportunity like this comes only once in a big while, and I would be very unhappy if I didn't estimate my boards' reqirements properly.;)

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
I ordered 6 beta boards and 20 rev. 1 boards. This is my justification:

6 boards for basement home theater
4 boards for my workshop
2 boards for kitchen stereo
2 boards for computer system
6 boards for bedroom home theater
2 boards for garage
4 boards for friends

And I'm not mentioning here my main system which will be still p2p silver wired and is using 4 channels, but in a future be upgraded to 6 channels.;)

This is the best amp I've built and I will be converting all my other amps to Aleph X. When you calculate the total cost, it suddenly comes apparent that you can have very good amp for very little money. Why not use this opportunity?
I was the first one against the group purchase, but since it went through....:angel:

Why not do them all P2P with silver solder? :D

Sounds like you will have quite the full home system. What will you be using for pre-amps for all of these?

--
Brian

Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:
Whenever possible, no preamps.

For Home Theater I have Citation 7.0 AV Controller and Technics SA-DA10, which I'll use as preamp only.
After all, I am Turbo Hobbyst. ;)

You are quite the turbo hobbiest. What do you intend on using for a volume control?

You will be spending a lot of money on transformers and heatsinks :)

--
Brian

Taco said:
Just limit the max boards per person (some exceptions for the developers ofcourse). If people want >6 boards (3 amps) it's not logical anymore. Or they must have a good reason, friends can order their own boards I think.

And what when someone decides on full tri-amp 5 channel surround, which is not all that uncommon. It calls for 15 boards right away.;)

Joined 2002
Peter Daniel said:

And what when someone decides on full tri-amp 5 channel surround, which is not all that uncommon. It calls for 15 boards right away.;)

Agreed, I really don't see much of a point of setting limits. If someone really wanted to exploit the design that has been posted on the forum, it would be easy enough without buying pcbs. It would take a bit of rigorous effort in making pcbs.

Now, I would hate to have to deal with the power bill associated with running 15 channels of Aleph-X at once...

--
Brian

BrianGT said:

What do you intend on using for a volume control?

You will be spending a lot of money on transformers and heatsinks :)

--
Brian

I already have most of the heatsinks. And Plitron is right around the corner.;)

Surround volume comes with surround preamps. I don't know if I'll be modifying that. Otherwise I'll probably stay with switching attenuators (I have 3 Electroswitch and 1 Elma units)

If I want to go cheaper, I'll use series resistor, shunt pot type. I used to have remote in my preamp, I don't have it now, but I don't really miss it.

No need to justify anyone's number, nor to limit the number at this stage. :) I am getting 30 by the way. The home theater crowd with an active system in mind does indeed require lots of boards I am just trying to be pre-emptive by reiterating the spirit of the whole initiative and adding a little disclaimer to cover our ***** in case Nelson changes his mind.
My guess is that when it's all said and done we'll have in the neighborhood of 500 boards. With these kind of numbers it will be tricky to keep track of what's going on. I remember Nelson saying something to the extent of 'up to 100 boards I don't care'. Peter probably has the correct quote in his archives.

PS ALSO, in order to appease the diyaudio gods I'll be sacrificing a pair of my boards by sending them to Nelson.

If the price drops any further, I might send a pair to john-china, since he seems to have problem with payment.;)

sorry sir
because i am in china , i have any no visa ,no master card
, no paypal. i can not get any board pcb from outside china.
so i asked that shy question. i think i should do myself to clone your pcb. that is my only way to aleph-x.

Peter Daniel said:
If the price drops any further, I might send a pair to john-china, since he seems to have problem with payment.;)

sorry sir
because i am in china , i have any no visa ,no master card
, no paypal. i can not get any board pcb from outside china.
so i asked that shy question. i think i should do myself to clone your pcb. that is my only way to aleph-x.
:) 'That's what friends are for' :)
Better a golden heart
than a golden crown.

Order status update...

Well, I think I can safely say that there's unanimous support for extending the order schedule. So, it's open season again on orders until December 8th or so. Then I'll close the order again and work out the final price. That leaves two full weeks for everyone to get their payment to me before Dec 23rd, when I leave for Christmas vacation. As before, please don't send payment until I've closed the order and calculated the exact price. This way, I won't have to process refunds for surplus payment.

As far as putting a limit on orders, I'm not going to impose a limit at this point (unless someone is requesting an absurd quantity), as there are very few orders above 10 units. I think 20 is pushing the reasonable limit. Also, large orders will require more expensive shipping, and packaging will be troublesome since I won't be able to simply slip the boards in a padded envelope and send them off. I'd ask that members try to restrict their orders to 10 units or less.

My primary mechanism to prevent unscrupulous use of my Aleph-X PCB design is to keep the original CAD files and gerbers to myself and grataku. I will NOT be releasing these file to anyone! I have had several requests for the CAD files, and I don't mean to be rude or to impede the efforts of others, but I think that any genuine hobbyist is willing to either create their own layout or join one of the group orders.

Anyway, just a heads-up that I am taking a 4-day weekend for the US Thanksgiving holiday. So I will be away from my computer until Sunday night, Dec. 1st. I will reply to emails received over the next four days on Sunday and Monday.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.