Aleph X heat sink thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunately, even if the shipments are broke down to several smaller ones, the sinks are going to have to be palletized in a triwall box and possibly even crated. Certain packing/weight requirements must be satisfied if the shipping company will accept them for liability reasons. Usually >150 lbs gets palletized I doubt the manufacturer will let them go out with substandard packing to maintain their reputation for quality. If they are shipped by a truck freight company (probably), they are going to have to be delivered to a place with a loading dock or your going to have to pay a service charge for a forklift. One alternative is unpack the crate/triwall in the truck. It will be a major pain and usually has to be done quickly... so don't send them here... :D Just kidding. Just offering another consideration....

I will try to call them this morning.
Everybody, please put the destination (city, state-province and country) in the wiki list .
I guess I slightly mis-calculated the weight a single pachage would have....errr...10 lb x 260 is 2600 lb. :bigeyes: Although I would like to see the UPS A-hole that wrecked my speakers sweat carring that up the stairs, I think the package will pretty much have to be split. I also believe that people a few people that ordered over 10 heatsinks will have a problem.
I think we need to standardize the packages in small units say units of 4 heatsinks that can be handled by UPS. R-theta will be able to buy a load of cartons of the same size etc etc. At that point maybe r-theta can give us a better deal on handling. which will depend upon the nuber of 'units' one is getting. Most people are buying multiples of 4 heatsinks anyway.
Peter, you are going to have to pickup your order with a truck!;)

9:29 am EST off I go to call r-theta!

Chris,
That size is what is called a 4U in rack mount designation. This type of sizing is for large networking racks and pretty utilitarian in design and not really suited for for hifi. The large steel rack with built in fans into which you directly (ie bolt in) mount your equipment, plays havok with your equipment without a lot deadening added in. HiFi racks are usually in various sizes. It really is a matter of finding what works for you for size, heat dissapation, style, and sound coloration etc. It is a good idea to decide upon a similar or complimentary size for all of your designs. That way, you can build or buy a nice rack that works with all your equipment. Alot of amps, Peter 's Aleph Xs are a good example, are built to sit on the floor or special solitary stands. Many times this is the best method for deadeneing, but you also dont have to lift the heavy things into a rack.:superman:

:att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n:

ALL:
I called Theresa at r-theta here is how it should work.
There are three groups of customers:
US customer, canadian customers and customers that wish to purchase special lenghts. There are different minumum order requirements for US or Canadian orders, and our quoted price is ONLY for the 11x11 inches heatsinks.
I was told that special lengths are, and I quote, "a completely different ball game" should either email Theresa and get a separate quote, which will be higher than the standard, or, and that is my personal suggestion, forget about the special lenght and just join the main order ;)

For US customers there is a 250 USD minimum order, so 250USD x 1.55 = 387.5 CAD. Therefore, at the quoted price that is between 49 and 51 CAD, 8 heatsinks should qualify as minimum order.
A 20% handilng fee will be charged ONLY to orders to the US of less than 250 USD.
IMPORTANT: US CUSTORMERS MUST PAY FOR THEIR ORDER USING VISA CREDIT CARD ONLY, NO MASTERCARD, AM-EX, DISCOVER WILL BE ACCEPTED. VISA ONLY.

Edit###########

MASTERCARD is OK for US orders as long as the customer is aware of potential problems with MASTERCARD exchange rate policy.

Edit###########

So for example I will be buying 8 heatsinks and I will be charged for the say 50x8=400 CAD + shipping, the heatsinks will be packaged and sent to my address.
Members that wish to purchase less than 8 heatsinks, and there are a few in the wiki, should probably merge their orders to meet the minimum. A encourage them to quickly email each other and cluster up their order.

Canadian orders have a smaller minimum of 150 dollars, I don't know how Peter will handle that but I suspect that under these circumstances even canadan members that live outside the Toronto area should probably have the heatsinks shipped directly to their address. FOR CANADIAN CUSTOMERS BOTH VISA AND MASTERCARD ARE ALLOWED

THE FOLLOWING NEEDS TO HAPPEN BEFORE THE ORDER IS COMMITTED:

an email containing NAME ADDRESS, NUMBER OF PIECES, CREDIT CARD NUMEBER AND EXP. DATE should be send to Theresa Clark in reference to quote
RT0143-03 (heatsink profile 65340 11 inch lenght)

tclark@r-theta.com

Alternatively a FAX can be sent at 800 567 7115 (from US) or 905 795 2508 (from Canada)

As soon as the threshold of 100 heatsinks is met the order will be locked and production will start. According to Theresa the production phase should not require more than two weeks, so given a week for people to send their payment information and the holidays, we are looking at mid january for delivery.

Please, put a note in the wiki saying PAID after you do so.

I am CC'ing this to Theresa in order to confirm that all I have stated above is an accurate reflection of our converstation this morning.

May be better to use individual shipping

Thanks, Grataku, for doing the leg work on this order! I have been playing around with estimating shipping costs and it looks like there is not much difference between shipping to a "cluster" and then redistributing and paying the 20% fee. I am located in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania and am looking for 4 of the 11" heatsinks.

Option 1) Small order shipped to my address: 4 x $33 = $132 + $33 (approx) for shipping + 20% for small order = $198. The 20% in this case is $32.

Option 2) Large order shipped to Bpetrus (in Pittsburg, PA) will save the 20% fee, but will incur greater shipping to Pittsburg, then an additional $17 (www.usps.com) to get 40 pounds from Pittsburg to Lewisburg.

Seems like its just better for me to take a small order delivered to my home address and pay the extra 20%.

So in this case I also encourage Canadian customers whose orders are $150 or more to deal directly with R-Theta. I won't be processing any orders that require shipment, only local orders. Since the minimum to meet their requirement is 3 heatsinks I don't think anybody wants my assistance anyway, since lowest number of heatsinks per order was 4.

As we've seen, it really needed an American intervention to close this deal.;)

I had the same problem, I only carry MC. I called Theresa and she told me that MC's exchange rate never matches the published exchange rates and several customers complained when their invoices did not match their POs. That was the reason she gave me for avoiding MasterCard. As long as you are aware of the problem she will take your MC. She accepted mine.

Thanks Grimberg, Theresa didn't say anything to me, she just told me she wouldn't accept mastercard, I found that strange but I didn't think of asking why.
Peter, is there anyway to update my previous post??

:att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n:
For those who read only the last post, the update of my earlier communication is that MASTERCARD is OK for US orders as long as the customer is aware of potential problems with MASTERCARD exchange rate policy.
:att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n:

Still on the subject of using a credit card outside of the US, from my previous experiences travelling abroad, both MC and Visa charge a 1% service fee when they convert currencies. The fee is added to the item amount in US$. In Visa's case, they use the exchange rate published in the WSJ and add their 1% fee to obtain the US$ amount. In MC's case I was never able to get a clear answer from any of their customer service representatives.
I suggest calling your bank to verify if any additional fees apply in your particular case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.