Aleph-X builder's thread.

Re: shorted MOSFETs

lgreen said:
... I think I made a mistake by using arctic silver thermal compond with mica insulators under the MOSFETs, I think the devices were under sufficient pressure that the grease become conductive...

I don't see why this would be a problem? I do it all the time. It's hard to put them under extreme pressure with a #6 screw? And I'm not aware of this thermal compound becoming electrically conductive under these circumstances... You may be refering to the e-poxy like compound they have. That would only be a problem if your thinking of removing them. But, I guess you are :xeye:

Re: shorted MOSFETs

lgreen said:
I think I made a mistake by using arctic silver thermal compond with mica insulators under the MOSFETs, I think the devices were under sufficient pressure that the grease become conductive.

I wouldn't think this would be a problem either. Personally, I use Arctic Silver for CPUs because of it's thicker consistency, but not for semiconductors though. But I don't think it makes a huge difference with either one so why chance it.

Oh and regular white Thermalcote is rated for higher temperature if it makes any difference.

There's no substitute for the right heatsinks. I don't think you're going to make up for undersized heatsinks with some esoteric grease.

Re: Re: Re: shorted MOSFETs

lgreen said:
Question 1: How many transistors do I need to buy and match? and what is supposed to match what? Should I start over with a complete new set of 12 matched transistors for the channel or can I get 3 matched to each other? Putting in 12 matched devices is going to be pain! Maybe 24, have not looked at the other channel yet.

I'm not familiar with the design totally off the top of my head but 4 banks of 3?... Sounds like at a minimum you need to mach a bank of 3. Possibly 2 banks on the same side (top or bottom), 6 total :xeye:

lgreen said:
Question 2: I recovered some sil-pads from a 1998 receiver. Have these worn out or can I use them? I didn't think that it was possible for these to wear out but I could be wrong.

I would say: do not re-use silpads...

lgreen said:

There is a screw plus a copper bar with 4 screws that pushes each set of 3 transistors down. So we are gettning a lot of force...

Sounds like a better way to apply force evenly but, torqueing to spec is always a good idea. Nelson often points out the torque Pass Labs uses(on 1 screw with a washer) on their product but, I don't remeber off the top of my head. Maybe you want to buy a torque screwdriver???

:D

Are you guys serious or just fooling around to kill time ?

Why would anyone want to match the current sources and output stages on opposite sides of a balanced amp that employs feedback to set the gain, and has trimpots to adjust the output DC level.

That's similar to matching four gasturbine engines for exact identical fuel efficiency to use on a 747, and then modulating the fuel supply of each individual engine to obtain identical thrusts.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The TL431 is a nice part. When you are biasing an amplifier using a
Vgs or Vbe multiplier, the bias voltage not only depends on the temperature
but also on the current run through the bias transistor, and you will find
that varying. If you make the bias voltage generator independent of these
two parameters, then it's easy to compensate the bias (or not) with a
thermistor in a circuit with an arbitrary coefficient.

:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
just thinkin' .... and looking at 6moons XA.5 pictures ..... ( what else - I certainly can't just go and build Cheff's great UP UGS amp ) ......

I'm gonna major ROFLMAO ........ in this yore days of prestigious exotic fifi gadgets , Papa is sending signal (in XA.5 amps ) through two 220uF , on each side .......

and these amps are judged as finest money can buy ......

hehe , another explanation why Papa is always smiling on funny pictures ...... fooling audiophools again , and making things in pure engineering way , again ..........

am I right , or I'm right ...... ?