aleph theatre?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
actually, as mentioned before, the heatsinks, top, bottom, and back panels will be black anodized. however, ive heard that a clear anodized will dull the finish. i would love to keep the finish EXACTLY as it is. maybe a kind of polish or something would be the ticket.

thanks for everyone's compliments :) hopefully ill be working on this consistantly for the next month or so. i estimate maybe 2 months left, instead of the 4 as projected earlier.

(not bad for my FIRST diyaudio project ever... well, not including my gainclone...)

scraggles said:
Wow, that's some seriously inspiring case work, great job!

I'd recommend you seek out a stove enameler to finish your faschia's. They will be able to give you a high quality laquered finish that is oven baked. The kind of finish you see on expensive car alloys.

Personally I would not recommend it. The beauty of properly brushed aluminum is when it is in its natural form and not covered by some sort of laquer. You might as well do it out of wood, prime it, do the brushing and paint with laquer. Nobody would see a difference;)

Anodizing would be better. I dulls the finish a bit, but not much, it actually be more uniform and if your brushing is not that deep, it will be still a bit shiny. But of course, it's your choice.

Before doing any serious finishing, try both methods on a piece os scrap and see what suits you better.

more progress!

many pretty pictures for all those who care.

the tower of power:

Attachments

• 09060002.jpg
    09060002.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,647
very true. notice how i said these have been in progress for 1.5 years? they are still many months away from listening to...

i was saying to my friend just the other day that i'm almost ready to just mount it all to a piece of particle board and just listen to it, i dont care how it looks anymore :) that is until i saw them all put together.

i got ALL my inspiration from this site, if it wasnt for the many "look at my finished aleph", i wouldnt be to this point. (and of course nelson helped it out too.)

its going ok. im waiting on a few things to happen before i can resume progress. its such an involved project that a lot of things need to happen in particular order...

im busy with full time work and full time school right now, so free time isnt something i have. i should be able to do some more work in mid to late december through early january before next semester starts up again.

the cases, however, are almost finished, the boards are completely done. we just need to mount the boards on the heatsinks, get caps and transformers wired and put the whole deal together. sounds simple enough, but will take a few months of time.

however, i think santa is getting me a drill press for xmas, that should help move things along!

cowanrg

The chassis really look great, and the stack is very impressive. I have been building some 1.2 Alephs and the machine work is quite a hassel. So how much did a machine shop charge you for the face plates or did you make them.

Also, who makes the Sinks your using, Very Nice Job. Hope the sound as good as they look.

Regards

:) :santa3:

the faceplates were around $100 each. this was a big favor by someone.

the heatsinks are originally from aavid, but we got them surplus from MECI. i forget the profile number, but i found the exact profile on aavid's website.

i wish nelson sold empty cases, would have saved me over a year of work!

i just got a drill press and a bench sander. now if i could buy free time (sears doesnt sell any :( ) i will be set! im going to be working on getting the chassis all sanded and pretty here within the next week. then, its on to stuffing and anodizing. then, im done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.