Aleph Ono/ Xono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The reason for the board size is this:

The plan was to make two separate housings. One for the PSU, and one for the amplifier. But I didn't want to build two full-size cases (43cm wide), nor did I want to deviate from that size.

The cases I want to make are 21cm wide. If you then put them next to eachother (1cm space between them) They will be exactly 43cm wide together. That leaves 10.5cm per board. Minus a bit for wiring and case, the boards can be 8.5cm wide maximum.

The main board is 27cm long, because the case it needs then will become 30cm deep. The PSU board is only 14cm long, because you will need some space for the transformers :). In general you will see that the two cases together will become the size of a general CD Player, or any other piece of HiFi equipment.

Bouke

Hi Bouke,

I understand your plan. If I understand the layout correctly, you will have the input circuitry at one end of the unit, say the back, and the output circuitry at the opposite end, or the front. You will therefore have to have a long wire running from the front of the unit to the back. I prefer to have the circuitry running side to side, so that the input is at one side of the back panel, and the output is at the other side of the back panel. This does two things, you avoid the need for a long wire inside the chassis, which could pick up all sorts of things, and you avoid routing the output near the input, which could also cause trouble.

I suppose that I can run your board side to side, and have a 30 cm wide chassis. Or I can put both power supply and preamp in the same chassis, with sheilding in between (transformer diagnolly located from input circuitry. I'll wait and see ;)

Cheers,
Rons

Ron,

You are absolutely correct with your interpretation of the board ;) Unfortunately, it will become a tradeoff between long wires (which you can make shielded), or long traces on the PCB itself.
I'll give the thing a good thinkover to make the boards a bit more flexible regarding the connections, but I'm not going to change the sizes. I already got parts for the casing, and it would be a shame to throw them away :)

Bouke.

PS: I now know that the Main board PCB's will be only slightly more expensive. In total the price for a set PCB's (Luxury edition) will become approx. €50 ex. VAT and Shipping.

ONO PCB's

Hello Bouke:

My thanks as well for your efforts.. Count me in as well regardless of how you decide to finish this off.

Could these power supply boards be used with a Ballanced line stage such as the SOBOZ as well? If so I would like to order a total of 4 power supply boards along with the two amp boards.

Best regards

Keith

Re: ONO PCB's

KDT said:
Could these power supply boards be used with a Ballanced line stage such as the SOBOZ as well? If so I would like to order a total of 4 power supply boards along with the two amp boards.

Best regards

Keith

Keith,

I don't know to be honest. All I can say is that it delivers 2x 30V regulated. Although the Ono amp takes about .5 amps max, the mosfets on the PCB can drain up to 3.3 amps continuous, and 10 amps peak. But for that power you'll probably need to cool them. Is that sufficient for a SOBOZ? Otherwise you can try to replace the fets with other types that can drain more power.

Regards,
Bouke

Just finished my Ono (XOno), have a look:

Attachments

• ono-1.jpg
    ono-1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,644
Ron

Really, I have trouble to describe the sound of this fantastic phono-amp. First of all, it has no sound at all. One of the most striking things is the way how it presence instruments and especially voices. Each instrument in an ensemble can be picked and believe it or not, Maria Callas (TOSCA 1953) was staying and singing in my living room. When I concentrated on it, instruments and actors had body, as though I could reach out and feel it/they physicality…
To make a long story short, this is one of the best phono-amp of the market and by far the best I ever had/have! Many thanks to Nelson Pass and Wayne Colburn for all their support to us DIYers around the world.

Jens

Attachments

• ono-3.jpg
    ono-3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,640
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.