Aleph J-X Amp Project

Are you suggesting, that to use a balanced output you need to have a passive crossover espescially designed for balanced signals?

I deleted that post minutes later. I posted it under a false belief which quick research revealed. Not as different as a thought, but there are still differences. I believe the component values have to be calculated differently.

This thread discusses it. Re: post 7, I thought the 'span' was necessary but apparently it is only optional.

ballanced amplifier speaker xover

Are you suggesting, that to use a balanced output you need to have a passive crossover espescially designed for balanced signals?

Hi everyone,

I dont have the equipment to experament with a ballanced amplifier and driver output, you might require a special speaker xover with ballanced output amps or you will blow your speakers bydriving them with a full bandwidth signal matched with a highpass signal for your mid & high frequency drivers ?
For me buying more xover components will cost allot because it cost me over $1,000.00 for the components for the current passive xover I have now .

Ian

ballanced passive x-over

I don't know of any speaker manufacturer who make speakers designed with balanced/symmetrical PASSIVE crossovers.
This is giving me a headache though.
Bloody AC signals.

Hi everyone,

I have never seen a current manufactured x-over designed with the ballanced amplifier in mind, maybe we are the first ones to address this problem, I know I never thought about it untill I was ordering components for my passive x-over at the input of my Aleph J-X monoblocks, here I am required to treat the + & - independent of each other, and I have not found a schematic of current electronic crossovers doing this, that dose not mean that they are right, this is supposed to be the "state of the art".

Ian

Last edited:
Grounding Question

Hi Everyone,

I am at the point of making my last connections, and I am not shure, do I take the 3rd prong from the plug in the wall ground and hook it up to the ground in the Aleph J-X mono amps. I have made amps like the David Hafler DH200 30 years ago where there was no AC wall current plug used with the 3rd ground wire on it taken from the wall, and I have seen Nelson Pass Power Supply Schematics with this wall ground noted in it connected to the amp ground afterpassing through a capacitor & resistor & two diodes connected to each other inversly then connected to the amplifier ground ?

Help Me Anyone, I dont want to make a mistake at this point ?

Thank You

Ian

size of power supply fuse with 600VA transformer

Hi,

I have finally completed one mono Aleph J-X, and have tryed to power up, but I keep on blowing the fuses just past the two Bridge Rectifiers, I am useing a 18volt 600VA transformer and have used slow blow 8 amp fuses at this point, but one of them keeps on blowing. The information from the Antek transformer manufacture has the tansformer output listed at 8.3 amps or 15.6 amps or 31.6 amps
Antek - AN-6218
The amp looks like it has been built correctly, what value should I use for the power supply just past the Bridge Rectifiers ?

Thank You For Any Help

Ian

Attachments

• AN-6218.pdf
    40.3 KB · Views: 93
fuses

All of your conclusions seem to be faulty

The inside temp of your chassis should be less than *40 unless it is completely closed up. The caps will last a lot longer than 4 mos.

The BOM you have posted is for the Aleph J, designed by Nelson Pass. It is a single ended class A amp.

The X amp, and the JX are experimental amps designed by forum members, and modified to a high degree for differing reasons. They are based on the Aleph current source patented by Mr Pass, but he did not design these circuits. There are lots of completed JX amps with happy owners so we know they work well, but there is no set BOM for the JX as far as I know. It would be best for you to communicate directly with someone that has built one or two, and heed their advice.

Why don't you contact Peter Daniel?

Best, Bill

Hi,

Its been a while since I have herd from you, what do you think the fuse values should be with a 18volt 600VA transformer in a mono amp just past the two Bridge Rectifiers ?
I am stuck at this point, starting a completed Mono Aleph J-X because I keep on blowing a fuse when I turn on the power, I have been using 8 amp slow blow fuses.

Antek - AN-6218

Ian

Attachments

• AN-6218.pdf
    40.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Hi,

Its been a while since I have herd from you, what do you think the fuse values should be with a 18volt 600VA transformer in a mono amp just past the two Bridge Rectifiers ?
I am stuck at this point, starting a completed Mono Aleph J-X because I keep on blowing a fuse when I turn on the power, I have been using 8 amp slow blow fuses.

Antek - AN-6218

Ian

bill fuss past away last summer.

yes sadly he did and its mentioned under his username if someone took the trouble to look.

I agree it really would be better if you started a new thread rather than filling this one with the unending stream of 'problems' posted here over the last 2 years.

work out what the inrush current will be based on your power supply transformer, inductors, resistors and caps, then size your fuse accordingly.