Aleph J-X Amp Project

what are C4 and C1 in microFerrids on the AJ-X power supply given in 'Aleph JX Single Ended Class A Power Amplifier' project documentation, this would really help me if someone can translate this for me. This is from following file:
http://www.rsaudio.de/AlephJX/ajx_en.html power supply schematic.

Thank You scatterbrain001

speakers building now needing amazing amplifier for above 100Hz
-4way JBLs with 18in subs in 14ft transmission lines + 12in low mid range in a back wave horn 100hz to 500hz + 1.75in titainium compresion driver 500hz to 4kHz + 98db ribbon tweeter over 4kHz

capacitor calculator

If you download the capacitor calculator from the web you will have all the information you need to transfer pico, nano, micro, farads into decimal equivalents and relation to each other.
Can be a very useful tool when ordering caps which have Uf designations only.

Tad

Thank you for guiding me to the capacitor calculator, it has helped me choose the power supply I will use, the one given in the AJ-X document.

I know that I might have allot of simple questions I need answered, but I dont have anyone else to talk to about this audio research searching for the 'state of the art'

scaiff001,
Hey that is what we are here for. Ask all the questions you need to.
When I first started this hobby I did not understand the nf,pf,uf designation. The capacitor calculator fixed that.
I have a very limited knowledge on this subject but, have managed with the help of others to assemble some sweet amps. You could never afford one of the commercial Aleph amps -- unless you had lots of money-- so this is our way in.
I have used several of the Antek transformers and they have all functioned perfectly. The service is excellent.
Just do not skimp on the heatsinks on any class A build. Do a very thorough research job when ordering components. You can find some very good deals if you are patient and get as many items as possible from on source to save on shipping.

Tad

Dose anyone know what the Relay part number is in the 'Power Switch - Rush Current Limiter' schematic for the 'inrush current limiter for big transformers'?

or is the 'inrush current limiter for big transformers', I am using 600VA with each AJ-X mono amp, not required?

Thanks for your help.

understanding notes made above title box of the 'Aleph JX Power Supply' schematic

The following note is above the Title Box for the 'Aleph JX Power Supply'
with a file name of 'PowerCaps.pdf' , the file is attached below.

J7-J8, J20-J21 2x 1.5 Ohm / 50W
J9-J10, J22-J23 2x 2.7 Ohm/ 50W

dose this mean that 1.5Ohm + 1.5Ohm resistors connect between J7 & J8 and if so are thay in parallel or series?

or dose this mean that 1.5Ohm resistor connects between J7 & J8 ?

Thank You for your help.

Attachments

• PowerCaps.pdf
    9.1 KB · Views: 183
adding a Choke to a CRCRC power supply

I am concerned that there is no Choke on the Aleph JX power supply, file name PowerCaps.pdf , I am thinking of adding a 8mH coil to the power supply with more capacitors, making it a CLCRCRC, is this a stupid thing to do, because I am undecided about which one to use because I have an understanding of how the CLCLC works and do not understand how the CRCRC can do the same thing but I have been lead to understand that it dose, or is it just cost effective, so I thought I could just combine them. Is this ok to do or will I have some problems other than making it cost more.

(33kuF+33kuF)+8mH+(33kuF+33kuF)+1.5Ohm+(33kuF+33kuF)+2.5Oh(33kuF+33kuF)

I intend on using the 33kuF=33,000microFerrids because of price and I was lead to believe that it is better using twice as many capacitors of lower value than using one with high value, can someone comment on this please before I purchase my parts, I will be purchasing my parts as soon as I recieve delivery of my eight 2SJ74-BL transistors.

Attachments

• IMAGE#15copy#2-00.00.00.18inJBL14ftLabyrinthSub-12inJBL-1.75inJBLHorn-5inRibbon.00.jpg
    IMAGE#15copy#2-00.00.00.18inJBL14ftLabyrinthSub-12inJBL-1.75inJBLHorn-5inRibbon.00.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,013
  • PowerCaps.pdf
    9.1 KB · Views: 111
you may be right, the 8mH coil is big and expensive, but I was influenced by Nelson Pass(s)Zen Variations#5 page7 power supply with a 2mH coil I thought it said 10mH that is why I chose 8mH first, it was my mistake thank you for drawing my attention to it. and I was also influenced by www.kk-pcb.com/power-x.html Aleph X power supply which uses a 1.8mH coil. I will use a 1.8mH 10awg 0.14Ohm costs $72.97, at Solen Solen Electronique Inc. Dose anyone know of a less expensive coil that will work?

Are the transistors on this schematic power supply required or do the CCS transistors on the AJ-X do the same thing?

Attachments

• PS- ZenVeriations5 pg#7.jpg
    PS- ZenVeriations5 pg#7.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 938
Last edited:
you may be right, the 8mH coil is big and expensive, but I was influenced by Nelson Pass(s)Zen Variations#5 page7 power supply with a 2mH coil I thought it said 10mH that is why I chose 8mH first, it was my mistake thank you for drawing my attention to it. and I was also influenced by www.kk-pcb.com/power-x.html Aleph X power supply which uses a 1.8mH coil. I will use a 1.8mH 10awg 0.14Ohm costs $72.97, at Solen Solen Electronique Inc. Dose anyone know of a less expensive coil that will work?

Are the transistors on this schematic power supply required or do the CCS transistors on the AJ-X do the same thing?

Oops, you are speaking about PSU choke, mine is for speaker X-over - without core... :whazzat:
Sorry!
:cheers:

May I suggest that you study all of the Zen articles more thoroughly before you attempt to build this unit. You would be wise to explore the operation of the Aleph current source very thoroughly, maybe even build a Mini Aleph, before you attempt the X amp. Knowledge is free, but it requires a step by step approach and takes some time. Building this unit is quite different than baking a cake, the AJ-X does not use CCS in the output section, it uses Aleph dynamic current sources.

I do appreciate your eagerness, but please study and learn, we are all still learning.

Best, Bill

error referring to the CCS and the Aleph

May I suggest that you study all of the Zen articles more thoroughly before you attempt to build this unit. You would be wise to explore the operation of the Aleph current source very thoroughly, maybe even build a Mini Aleph, before you attempt the X amp. Knowledge is free, but it requires a step by step approach and takes some time. Building this unit is quite different than baking a cake, the AJ-X does not use CCS in the output section, it uses Aleph dynamic current sources.

I do appreciate your eagerness, but please study and learn, we are all still learning.

Best, Bill

Yes I have studied all of the Pass Projects, some of them I should read again. When you said "it uses Aleph dynamic current sources", is this similar to the "modulated supply for a Zen Amp" Page3 Zen Variations Part3 ? I know it is in 'Zen Variations Part9' I was not thinking when I said "CCS", I meant IRFP240(s)used for its modulating power supply, I think this is correct,is it? I have been thinking of it as being a CCS power supply that modulates, I know it dose not make sence because a CCS dose not modulat, I will begin to think of it in its own way of working without thinking of CCS first, I dont know why I have been doing that.
Thanks for pointing that out so I will look over the Pass Projects again now that I have a better understanding of what I am doing, I will probibly make more errors but I have been trying, but I have not been thinking clearly lately.

Attachments

• AlephCurrentSource.jpg
    AlephCurrentSource.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 887
  • Modulated Supply For Zen- Zen Variations Part3 pg3.jpg
    Modulated Supply For Zen- Zen Variations Part3 pg3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 866