Aleph J-X Amp Project

I am looking at transformers to, do we have to stay with 18volt secondary or can we use a 30volt secondary creating an amplifier with more volts output and less current for those of us who do not need to drive a 2ohm load speaker, but an 8ohm or 16ohm speaker insted, could someone please guid me here, because I dont think that the front end could handle the regulated 42volt supply created with a 30volt transformer, but that could be adjusted for the front end down to 25volts and leave the regulated 42volts for the power transistors IRFP240, I beleave that they can handle this voltage with extra heatsinks and a couple of fans

Read whole topic but did not find the following answers about Aleph J:
1. What's minimal recommended capacitance in a PSU per channel per rail if bias is 2A for example?
2. It looks like nobody is using a speaker protection circuit with those amps. Are they so reliable or is the rail voltage too low to damage a loudspeaker (25VDC will give ~75W at 8Ohm load)?

I am looking at transformers to, do we have to stay with 18volt secondary or can we use a 30volt secondary creating an amplifier with more volts output and less current for those of us who do not need to drive a 2ohm load speaker, but an 8ohm or 16ohm speaker insted, could someone please guid me here, because I dont think that the front end could handle the regulated 42volt supply created with a 30volt transformer, but that could be adjusted for the front end down to 25volts and leave the regulated 42volts for the power transistors IRFP240, I beleave that they can handle this voltage with extra heatsinks and a couple of fans
I am thinking of using 25volt or 30volt transformers because I am finding trouble locating a toroidal 18volt 1000VA transformer, or something above 500VA because I am making two monoblocks to minumize speaker cable length to 6inchs.
Could someone please direct me to were I can purchasae a 18volt toroidal transformer above 500VA, perferable a 1000VA just in case I choose to use electrostatic speakers in the future.

I am building a pair of mono AJ-X, I am finding alot of transformers toroidal up to 250VA, but I have found a 900VA but it is not toroidal, dose this matter if the transformer is not toroidal, the transformer is '
Multi-Purpose International Transformers, from
www.signaltransformer.com

i'm also building 2 mono AJ-X and am slowly accumulating all the parts needed.

my one really big issue is that these monoblocks will be in my living room
and therefore MUST be attractive.

i found some reasonably attractive boxes at modu in europe but i don't believe the heat sinks (about 45mm fins) will be sufficient to handle the heat load.

modu

can anyone point me to any other sources of attractive cases which either come with heat sinks as part of the package or boxes that are attractive and can have heat sinks attached.

thanks

I have solved my transformer problem now 600VA 18V AJ-X monoblocks, I cannot find out where to find current stock of IRFP044N transistors, or is the IRFP240 a better choice for my AJ-X monoblocks.

Could someone please tell me the differance between 8mA & 10mA 2SJ74 (s) being distributed, which one do I buy?

I have found the transformer I can use at www.antekinc.com 18v 8.3A + 18v 8.3A + 18v 8.3A + 18v 8.3A = 150VA + 150VA + 150VA + 150VA = 600VA $65.00(US$).
Do I just group all of the same colored wires together to make it 18volts 33.3Amps

thank you Bill for your direction to www.antekinc.com

Not quite - if there are four 18V windings you connect two pairs of windings summing to 2 x 18V @ 16.6A, then if you want to use a single bridge, connect one set of opposite ends to make a 36V Center tapped output (18-0-18). You can also just rectify each pair of windings to get your positive and negative rails.

If you are looking at the AN-6218 then it's connect reds together, blacks together and this is your primary. For single bridge operation, on the secondary side, connect one blue and one green to make the center tap.

Last edited:
On the same note, make sure that you identify the pairs of leads that are connected to the four windings before you tie them together. It is possible to short one winding by connecting a blue and green lead from the same winding.

The 240s are supposed to be better with 24v rails but I don't know that as fact. The 044s used to be easier to find.

In the AJ-X documentation for the power supply, it has terminology 47m\40v, dose this mean 47,000microFerrrids 40 volts? and also it says 100n, what is this in microFerrids? is it a nanoFerrid, what is it in microferrids? If I get a better understanding I think that I should use the power supply given in the AJ-X documentation, dose anyone have any other ideas before I order parts?