Aleph J Schematic

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:
You mean my own 250's ...:clown:

I ll first try the J fet front end you posted, on a little daughter board, together with my A5 ...

Manu

Magura said:

I'll sort you out with 250's.

I still have a few that are not spoken for.

Only condition is that they are not just collecting dust.

Magura :)

it's not even hard or frightening to say ..... I like ya guyzzzzzz :clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yoke said:
Wel,l just to see if I get this right, you are talking about new version of X amp ?

If so I’m interested for some ;-)
(Why not. I have whole bunch of alephs so having one more could not hurt ;-))

What is with those IRFP 250? Are they hard to find?

nope ..... that is not new ; just look at last pages of few last active AlephX threads ..... boyz do that again and again ........

ya know - to vec i vrapci znaju ...... :clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yoke said:
o.k. but you are talking about new set of PCB for the some sort of X amp which is diferent than alephX V1.0 PCB ?

nope , really ;

connected to "Burning Amp" topic , I'm working with AR2 on transfering his set of V1.0 pcbs to X with Jfet input ;

who knows ...... - Manu recently shows some excitement for constructing pcbs , and he is "pcblessles" for that project ...........

I am too lazy and too dumb for that sort of things ....... :clown:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
carpenter said:
I think I just got lucky:

I was rummaging through my pcb collection and ran across a pair of BrianGT Aleph boards.

I'm comparing schematics (Aleph 3 and Aleph J) and they seem similar except for values, transistors, and transistor footprints.

Looks like I've got some reading to catch up on--unless Nelson's planning a quick turn around on his pcbs. Just in case, I've got a little bitty kitty hidden under the house... :eek:

Hummmm.:)

I agree. The BrianGT boards look like they will work for this. I did an Aleph 2 and used an extra set of the external FET boards for the 2, so I have a spare set for the single FET version. Worth trying with some matched 250's I have and will see how it turns out.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To clarify further, the boards are Aleph X 1.0 so they are X'ed already, but Zenny is gonna help AR2 (and apparently a 100 other guys and their brothers - including me and my brother!) change the inputs to JFETS, the "latest thing" by slightly changing the boards. It shouldn't be a bunch of changes..

As I mentioned elsewhere, Nelson told me that the IRFP250's are just a TO-3 can with 2 IRFP 240 dies inside. Clearly you can use 240's but you need twice as many ( my math skills- amazing! ) Apparently they are pretty pricey these days, as I believe that they are no longer made. If you can't use TO-3 format you don't want IRFP250's

A major factor driving this is that a bunch of us got lovely and huge amp chassis' with heatsinks and power supplies donated by Nelson at the Burning Amp Festival. It is a bit more complicated because the chassis came with 240's and 9240's installed for a pushpull setup. But we also got pocketsful of IRFP250 MOSFETS so why not use them?

Variac said:

As I mentioned elsewhere, Nelson told me that the IRFP250's are just a TO-3 can with 2 IRFP 240 dies inside. Clearly you can use 240's but you need twice as many ( my math skills- amazing! ) Apparently they are pretty pricey these days, as I believe that they are no longer made. If you can't use TO-3 format you don't want IRFP250's

But we also got pocketsful of IRFP250 MOSFETS so why not use them?

There seems to be some confusion about those TO-3 can parts.

The TO-3 can parts are IRF250, the IRFP240 and 250 are of the TO-247 package variety.

It's not all that complicated, as the parts that comes in both flavors, are named IRF-XXX for the TO-3 package, and IRFP-XXX for the TO-247.

Just to make sure you're all on the same page.

Magura :)