Aleph J illustrated build guide

Hi,
Anyone here using 2x20v instead of 2x18v transformer?
Considering it will have a voltage drop during filtration, especially for the bridge diodes.

(18v x 1.4142)-2.4v = 23v
(20v x 1.4142)-2.4v = 25.8v

2.4v is commonly voltage drop after bridge diodes (1.2v per diode)
If aleph J need 25v then 2x20v transformer will be better I think.

Finished collecting some stuff

attachment.php

attachment.php

Any suggest for the output transistors?
Some people consider FQA series better than IRFP

What do you think? :rolleyes:

If you don't me saying, you have been a bit shy with the solder, you should have a good joint on both sides of the PCB with a 2-sided layout.

Hi,
Anyone here using 2x20v instead of 2x18v transformer?
Considering it will have a voltage drop during filtration, especially for the bridge diodes.

(18v x 1.4142)-2.4v = 23v
(20v x 1.4142)-2.4v = 25.8v

2.4v is commonly voltage drop after bridge diodes (1.2v per diode)
If aleph J need 25v then 2x20v transformer will be better I think.

The similar F5 works fine at 20V x 1.414, the outputs just get a bit hotter.

18V is the normal transformer break point here in the UK. 9V then 12V then 15V then 18V then 24V then skywards.

If you don't me saying, you have been a bit shy with the solder, you should have a good joint on both sides of the PCB with a 2-sided layout.

It is double sided through holes
I think one side solder is fine for through holes

The similar F5 works fine at 20V x 1.414, the outputs just get a bit hotter.

18V is the normal transformer break point here in the UK. 9V then 12V then 15V then 18V then 24V then skywards.

So, it is only because no 20v transformer at the market right?
I am planning to order a custom transformer for aleph J.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Jean - For heatsink size, the 4U chassis from the store should be considered the absolute minimum. These amps do get hot. :)

Wengtech - A 20+20V transformer will be fine. It's going to run a bit hotter, but you can always turn down the bias a bit if needed.

Your soldering looks fine... although you are missing some transistors... :) :) :)

Wengtech - A 20+20V transformer will be fine. It's going to run a bit hotter, but you can always turn down the bias a bit if needed.

Your soldering looks fine... although you are missing some transistors... :) :) :)

Thank you for clean answer. Got it now. Playing with bias.

And yes you are right, it is hard to find original j74 today, china market still have plenty but not sure for originality. ;)

Do you know what is the difference between original and fake one? In measurement for example, or in the sounding for sure.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Anything in that BL range (6.0-11.0) will work. The PCB has a place for a pot on the CCS to help compensate if your fets are out of that range. But don't worry about it.

Ask for something around 8.5 - it's the middle of the range and works great, and he should have a bunch of them.

Spencer supplied mine with an idss of 8.4.The amp sounds superb I think you will like it.

Anything in that BL range (6.0-11.0) will work. The PCB has a place for a pot on the CCS to help compensate if your fets are out of that range. But don't worry about it.

Ask for something around 8.5 - it's the middle of the range and works great, and he should have a bunch of them.

Thanks for the great advise. Will contact him soon.

Aleph J from scratch - part 1

:p so... I started my build, and i would like to show, how i made my pcb's real diy (just kidding).

I start off, drawing the schematic into diptrace(pcbmaking software).
Sometimes i have to make my own parts, with footprints so that the parts fit to my needs. Eventually i made a 2sj109 cause i am so lucky that i got 4 of them.

The layout is then printed, mirrored and cut out.

In progress :

Final. Next move is to etch the pcb.

SUCCESS :) !

This layout is a bit trickey, as i have to make it double sided...
When i make double sided i drill the holes surrounding the top layers, so as to avoid shorts...

Here final picture today... Toplayer of pcb.

I will post again, when i move on...

// Jesper