Aleph 30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: My Aleph30 Starting Problems

Algar_emi said:
My problem, if a problem it is, is that when first starting the amp, The current on the Positive side of the supply jumps to the maximum of my test supply (limited to 3A for testing), then after about 1 sec, it drops to the normal 1.5A.

Is this normal?
If not what can cause this behaviour?

Do not worry, very normal. I just finished my A30 as well, 2 days ago - same problem. The current jump is due to Inrush current, which is from the transformer. (I measured this inrush current with a peak crest meter and it was as much as +33A and -17A on the 1st few cycles. This is for onle a split second then it starts dropping.) Best solution are to fit a slowblow fuse AND add a thermistor inline just after the primaryside fuse. (As in Aleph3) This method works perfect. More about this here:
http://www.meritekusa.com/meritek_pdf/O.01_09_NTCpowerThermistor.pdf
http://www.kristronic.com/softstart/tech.htm
http://www.tortech.com.au/article.html

Post some pic's if you got and good luck with your project.

R21 result

UrSv said:
Yes, lowering R19 will decrease the bias. Try connecting a resistor in parallell with R19, say 470K, and see what happens (you can do that with alligator clips for easy removal). Remember that you may have to adjust R21 for the current source gain gain.

/UrSv

Swede: Did you actually change R21 on your amps and what was the result?

Just BTW

Why do I see this where Swede's signature is suppose to be?

"__________________
perl -ne'chomp;$a.=pack"b*",$_;END{print"\n$a\n\n"}'<<RM
RM"

Just out of curiosity.

HUM

Just got my aleph 30 going. I am using it single ended. There is hum that I can just hear from the listen position about 10 feet(3 meters) away. My speakers are not supper efficent. So this seems a bit much. Is this normal or to much hum? My power supply is an exact copy of the original aleph 30. My other impression is that this is a pretty dark sounding amp. Pleasant sounding and smooth but covering up detail.

Thanks in advance.

Paul,

hum should be inaudible at more than a few cm from your speakers so if you hear it at 3 meters something is not quite right.

Dark sounding? I can imagine what you mean but can´t really find this in my Aleph5 (wich should sound more or less the same). Of course it depends on where you´re coming from (amp wise) but I must say that one of the things the Aleph does really good is revealing small details in the music that go by unnoticed with lesser amps. It does this without sounding aggressive or bright.

How have you set your bias and ac-current gain?

william

Gnomus: Thanks. I have the same feeling of the loss of details. I believed ( according to furore of other diyers and rewievs) it could be something wrong on my side. In all probabillity not. Thank you for you oppinion once more. By the way it seems to me that the older Aleph 3 sound better than A30 in this point of view. So I rebuild A30 to A3, rised bias (to 0.9A per case and I am experimenting with BJT input differential - I gaves lower THD, sonically I dont know now what happens.. I can only anticipate).

With out regulation is the Aleph 30 hum free? Or, is there normally some low level hum that can be heard at the speaker? Because, I remember reading some place that they work well with horn type speakers.

Still find the amp sweat, rich and full sounding. Very musical. And that works with music. Detail is lost. But, maybe over time the amp will break in and sound more open. I am not one that is in the camp that believes that electronics changes a lot after it does the "break in thing" . After an hour or so I feel that is the sound of the electronics and do not expect any big changes.

Thanks!

200uV noise is hard to comprehend. I need an analogy. Like it would be as loud as the sound of an ant waliking on leaves if you could hear it. Maybe very faint hiss heard with your ear at the tweater is on target? Or a range. A high figuar that would be considered noisy and a low figuar that would be nearly impossible to hear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.