Aleph 30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did some measurements

Hi again,

Couldn't resist... The amp was there, waiting for me.

I read the thread on biasing an Aleph 2:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=4752&highlight=aleph+bias+resistor

Marijan had measured his amp in a number of places.

On one channel I got the following readings:

Rails: +/- 22.5 V
Current on positive rail: 2.6 amps
Hmmm... that gives 117 W idle(?).

R11 (221 ohm) 5.60 V
R14 (392 ohm) 4.11 V
Vce Q5 4.06 V

Source resistors:
+chan (R34 - R36) 0.39 0.45 0.54 [V]

-chan (R37 - R39) 0.51 0.42 0.47 [V]

Well, that seems to be pretty high on the source resistors... And the FET's are not that very well matched. (I could almost tell that by touching the FET's earlier today. Two of them seemed to be cooler than the others).

Let's see here:

I = U / R

R34 0.39 / 0.47 = 0.83
R35 0.45 / 0.47 = 0.96
R36 0.54 / 0.47 = 1.15
-----------------------------
2.94 Amps

R37 0.51 / 0.47 = 1.08
R38 0.42 / 0.47 = 0.89
R39 0.47 / 0.47 = 1.00
-----------------------------
2.97 Amps

My output FET's are IRFP240 which I got from Fairchild. They are TO247 packages and I use silicone pads to mount them on the heatsink.

I find it strange that my humongus heatsink get so warm. I have to take a couple of pictures and post them here, so you'll see what I mean.

Freddie wrote earlier in this thread that his bias current was about 2.1 amps. Mine is close to 3 Amps... Weird...

Can I do anything about this? How hot can the heatsink/transistors get before they get ruined? If I'm fine with almost 3 amps bias current, I won't to anything.

Best regards,
//magnus

Weird measurements

Hi again...

I believe Mr Kirchoff is not on my side today (
I1 + I2 + ... + In= 0) ...

If I have 2.6 amps on the positive rail, it can't be possible for me to have almost 3 amps bias current...

Must be my multimeter that isn't correct enough. It's a CalTek Instrument CM4200. It cost me $100 so I hope it is not that bad after all... ;=)

Well, what I believe is that it is out of calibration between current measurement and voltage measurement.

easy enough

Hi,

The Aleph 30 is really simple to build. Make a search on "Aleph30 PCB" and you'll find a couple of PCB layouts. I did mine based on panos29's design.

Though I already (after a couple of hours of listening) believe 30 Watts is not really enough for me. I think I'll build an Aleph 60 shortly. That will probably do fine. But for Jazz and Classical music, 30 Watts is more than enough.

Best regards,
//magnus

here is one

Attachments

• epsn0001.jpg
    epsn0001.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,311
3/4 from back of base to tip of fins and the initial heatsink ie flat back is 7" x 12" and the l's on the base are 2 " aand the base thickness is 1/4 " and the l's are the same if yuo need any more info let me know and i dont know what to charge i know i cant use them and i want to get 2 heat sinks for my aleph 5's im making mono blocks and need 2 heat sinks one per block ..

J'

Magnus,
Just for comparison and to give you some reference figures, I'm pretty sure it's 2.5A for the Aleph 2. So, 3A for Aleph 30 is definitely too high. But it could till work, I guess, if you have adequate heatsinks, add some additional components etc.

Magnus,
I just looked at the service manuals .... it says 2A rms for Aleph 3 and for Aleph 2, it's 2.5A rms. I hope we're talking about the same thing.
I understand that Aleph 3 is a little different from Aleph 30 but I don't remember what's the difference .... may be higher current for Aleph 30?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.