Aleph 3? Project.

ale3-pwr.gif

Now is clear like water, and the floating ground disappear

Last edited:
Hi KD, all depends of the price of the loudspeakers. Long time ago I was trying a 2sk134/j49 and one of the 134 short circuit internally, in less of 1s the loudspeaker (audax high sensitive one) push out and fried instantaneously. Once in my life is enough, now the lowther EX4 I am using hornloaded I recently exchange actually bleeding my blood. If you inter connect a couple of DC sensors that cost 3£.
Best regards

Last edited:
I run my Aleph 4 without speaker protection. Purists will say that a protection circuit will degrade the sound, the design itself is robust so it's unlikely to fail.

actualy, there is only a matter of time before outputs fail. in most cases they become open circuit and the rest of the outputs takes the current. the less outputs you got, the higher the risk. if one output fail in a 2 pair amp, the secund output of that pair must handle twice the current, and will fail in a very short time. then you have full railvoltage on the speaker output. in a 5 pair amp, the remaining outputs (4) will only need the handle 20% more current and will survive much longer

What i did not get is why the secondaire voltage needs to be higher if i would want to build a stereo amp with just one transformer. And the floating ground. No good?
I made the schematic the way i thought was right, so if there is a fault in it, it's mine.
I get why the voltage needs to be higher in a mono. the constant current draw of the amp. But another 14v higher in a stereo ?

To put it in the most basic terms that you can visualize look at how much VAC you are sending to each channel in the two versions. If you use both windings of the single transformer for a single channel mono block then you are using 44VAC total for your +/- DC rails. If you break up the two secondaries in a single transformer to provide power to two separate channels then you are only sending 22VAC to each channels +/- DC rails. So you will only develop around half of the DC voltage in the latter example.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Zoef -

Please decide if you want to make monoblock or stereo amp. This determines the scale of the PSU.

With the amp PCB you have, a single stereo amplifier will be more logical and straightforward to build - one channel on each heatsink, one heatsink per side of the chassis. The Aleph 3 is also a good size to run from one PSU.

The PSU rail voltage needs to be approximately +/-25V (a volt or two in either direction won't make much difference.) Look for a 0-20V/0-20V or 40V Center-tapped transformer of 400-600VA (for stereo)

The diyAudio PSU circuit board will work very well - Universal PSU V3 - Circuit Boards

Please read this guide - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...circuit-board-v3-illustrated-build-guide.html

To daddy and nr12 , the kk schematics you posted are the same ones i posted (begin of thread) for using in a monoblock. (Always the plan)

About the schematic everybody replies to , i asked is this is this the right way for a stereo configuration. But i guess it's not.
I thought if i have a big 625va transformer with two 22vac secondairies i could use each seperate winding for one stereo channel this way. (One winding for one channel.)
I understand i can not this way.

About the voltage, i thought (i got the advise here on diy) i needed to mutiplie the ac voltage with 1.2 to get right dc for a class a amp. 22vac x 1.2 =26.4vdc
I always thought each winding gives 22vac so each winding could power it's own pcb.

6L6 thanks for the suggestions . I allready have 2 clc/crc boards that came with the amp pcb's. So a mono would be the obvious way to go. Just want to know how to build it if i make a stereo amp using the 2 clc/crc boards.(waf is very low on monoblocks and i allready have the huge speakers [emoji12] )
I thought one secondaire winding one rectifier one clc/crc board one amplifier pcb.

you do get about 26Vdc. between power+ and power-(that is +/-13Vdc). not +/-26Vdc (52Vdc between power+ and power-). you have 2 rails feeding the amp. each at 26Vdc. +26Vdc and -26Vdc. each of those 2 rails need a 22Vac secondary winding.

Last edited:
Zoef, I made a lot of these mistakes about 13 years ago when I started down the path of constructing my Aleph 5. At least you are asking questions first. I assumed I had everything figured out and started buying parts. I was going to build a dual mono and I did the same thing. I failed to recognize further splitting up the secondaries would drop my DC rail voltages in half. In my case I purchased a 2 X 25VAC 1000VA Plitron transformer with the thinking that I could use it for either a dual mono or a single stereo supply. What you can do is to use the transformers 44VAC to feed your two power supply boards in parallel. In this manner you are not running a true dual mono as the same transformer secondaries are feeding both channels. However the separate rectifiers and filtering caps per channel will provide better channel isolation if that is what you are looking for. That is what I ended up doing with my Plitron transformer.

Just so you know, the 625VA rated transformer you have is large for an Aleph 3. Due to this the loading on the transformer secondaries will not be that high and the voltage out will likely be slightly higher than the 22VAC that it is rated for. It could be as high as 22.5 VAC X 2 or slightly more. If you have the manufacturers spec sheet for it you can likely figure this out. I would do as 6L6 recommended earlier and purchase a transformer specifically for the Aleph 3, using the specs he gave you.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
About the voltage, i thought (i got the advise here on diy) i needed to mutipliy the ac voltage with 1.2 to get right dc for a class a amp. 22vac x 1.2 =26.4vdc
Yes.

I always thought each winding gives 22vac so each winding could power it's own pcb.
No -- the amp circuit (either stereo or mono, makes no difference) needs +25V...0...-25V, I.E., a bipolar power supply. The transformer should be either 0-22V, 0-22V or 44V center-tapped.

I already have 2 clc/crc boards that came with the amp pcb's. So a mono would be the obvious way to go. Just want to know how to build it if i make a stereo amp using the 2 clc/crc boards.
Oh! You never mentioned having PSU boards. :)

Please post a photo of the PSU board, -- I suspect with proper parts, one PCB is more than enough for stereo amp. You could also use both if you need/want.

Chamberman, 6L6 thank you.
Glad i asked. Bit ashamed i did not realize it needed + and - 25v.

Good to know we were all noobs once chamberman[emoji18]

6L6 here is a picture of one of the boards. Got two of these.
Got some ixys hexfred 68a rectifiers . They will not fit on the board so i will connect them myself outside the board. (On a heatsink)
I am not going to use resitors but 2.5mH 10A chokes (got 4 of them, again i think mono would be better.)
Would 2 transformers in one case be a idea? Or would they interfere with each other.
Like you said, would be very heavy amp. 4 big chokes and transformers.....
4360d56ad5b948ed2b94c7fd49cc1d52.jpg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
most probably not , if you have proper snap-ins

just in case ..... if you take computer-grade ( colloquial term for beer can sized caps ) with mounting screw on bottom , be aware that in most cases these screws need to be isolated from chassis ; when got from proper vendor , you get isolating washers for that