Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ok, so I did the test with my Alpha 20 running 1.35amp bias with R131=0.47R and R132= 0.22R.

I used two 270ohm (5W) resistors in series for the high impedance case for 3.52vrms or 9.96vpp.

Then with a 10.0ohm 2% 10W resistor I measured 3.39vrms or 9.59vpp.

So (1-9.59/9.96)=0.0368 or 10ohm/0.0368=27.2 DF - fairly close to the 30 DF Hugh predicted for the Alpha 20 running 1.93amps bias.

So one thing that is important is to use very low impedance speaker cables. They do make a difference. 16ga stranded copper zipcord is not as good as solid copper 12ga Romex. So back goes the Romex into the speaker setup.

Nice !
Directly after the theory to see the realworld measurements and that they match :)

An example of the technique I used can be downloaded from Bob Cordell's website.
It's SPICE Tutorial Examples\Figure 19_7\Damping factor

It puts an ac analysis signal at the node of interest: between 8R Rload and ground.
Vin2 is the voltage between the new ac analysis signal and Rload.

Don't forget to remove the ac analysis signal from V1, the sine wave voltage source at input.

I think once you have a damping factor above 100 you don't hear a difference.

So now the Alpha20 can be configured for two different damping factors, a low and a high, just by connecting the fb resistor on another place.

This Alpha20 is a very flexible design,
DF, gain and 8R/4R easily adapted to personal preferences.
Congratulations Hugh for this !

Attachments

• DampingSim.gif
    DampingSim.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Well, my 15" bass/mid is something like 96db/w/m so there will be audible diffirence. Gab and I actually share very similar systems :D altough Gap's version is much nicer looking. Interesting to see what will be preferred. I can imagine that with metal music bigger might be better, some genres maybe otherwise.

What I understand now is with Alpha you can also change DF but it might effect sound quality?

Theres quite bad internet connection, so difficult to read previous posts from here. Answer is probably there already.

xrk971

So one thing that is important is to use very low impedance speaker cables. They do make a difference. 16ga stranded copper zipcord is not as good as solid copper 12ga Romex. So back goes the Romex into the speaker setup.
Talking about cables (impedance, capacity, inductance and RF interferences: star quad geometry) maybe someone is interested:

Belden DIY audio cables

Belden DIY audio cables

-> Low-Inductance DIY Braided Hi-Fi Speaker Cables

-> The Importance of Star-Quad Microphone Cable - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

DIY speakers cable with star quad geometry I think is a good idea. Something like these commercial cables:

XTZ XTZ Star Quad NLP 2x2,5mm 2,8 m - XTZ,Swedish Design, speaker cable

Audiophile idea: made with Neotech SOCT.

-> http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137288.msg1493866#msg1493866

Last edited:
To finish,

Some days ago, by mail, Magico speakers use Canare 4s11. After a search:

magico speakers canare 4s11 - Google Search

-> Speaker Cable for Old Quad Loudspeaker (aka 57) -

Audionirvana.org

Bill, I'm using Canare 4s11 pretty much everywhere (FWIW, Magico uses 4s11 to internally wire their Q series on down). I'm agnostic about wire brand, I look for certain electrical characteristics and good materials/construction. 57s don't put special demands on cables, YMMV

Off topic:

Talking about expensive Magic speakers...

NRC Measurements: Magico S5 Loudspeakers

SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements: Magico S5 Loudspeakers

[URL]https://www.soundstage.com/images/stories/loudspeakermeasurements/magico_s5/thd_95db.gif[/URL] !!!!!!!

[quote][B]Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise[/B]

Chart A: @ 90dB, 50Hz - 10kHz (measured @ 2m)[/quote]

[COLOR=green][B]f > 70 Hz nothing[/B][/COLOR] !!!!

[URL="https://www.stereophile.com/content/magico-s5-mkii-loudspeaker-measurements"]Magico S5 Mk.II loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com[/URL]

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Maty,
I have not tried star braided cables but my experiment with regular OFC 16ga stranded zipcord vs 12 ga solid copper Romex was quite disturbing.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/315971-belden-diy-audio-cables-8.html#post5380201

I never believed that cables had much of an effect but it’s easy to measure and know for sure. The FFT and output impedance test doesn’t lie.

I am not sure $50k unicorn breath infused cables make a difference - but pure solid copper thickness sure seems to make a difference.

I changed the cable from my amp to my front loaded horn subwoofer to a as short as possible (0.5m) dual pair of 16ga stranded zip and it made a huge impact on bass articulation since damping factor went up massively from previous 4pair Cat5 (long length). That was an obvious change that I had put off since I used whatever wire I had at the time to make a connection.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/315971-belden-diy-audio-cables-8.html#post5380201

Cables - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

Note to Hi-Fi Users

If you are a hi-fi user, beware of the pseudo-scientific false claims of overpriced and underperforming hi-fi cables. Avoid these "hi-fi" cables and equip your system with the finest professional cables available. We offer our professional cables in lengths and types that are appropriate for home hi-fi systems. You will save money while getting the very best performance available.
-> Benchmark Speaker Cable - NL2 to Banana - 2 pole - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

[URL]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0321/7609/products/Cable_NL2toBan_full.JPG?v=1417637929[/URL]

[QUOTE][B]Star-Quad Construction[/B]:

This top-quality Benchmark cable features Canare Star-Quad Speaker Cable. [B]Four heavy-duty 14 AWG stranded[/B] conductors are combined into two pairs arranged in a star-quad configuration. The combined conductors are [B]equivalent to 11 AWG[/B], but the [COLOR=Green][B] star-quad configuration reduces magnetic radiation and interference by about 20 dB[/B][/COLOR], making this cable superior to 2-conductor cables.
[/QUOTE]Maybe would be a good idea [B]ALPHA[/B] with [B]SpeakON speaker connectors[/B] like PA amplifiers. And the preamp too. ALL with [B]SpeakON from Neutrik[/B].

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I own the Benchmark amp and use the SpeakOn connectors and plan on doing so with the ALPHA as well. I'm building a pair of open baffle speakers with the Fane 15 inch full range driver and will use SpeakOn there as well.

That Benchmark amp has some impressive specs. Will be interested to hear your subjective comparisons once built.

Hi Hugh, X,
A question about a small capacitor.
In the original Alpha20 schematic there's the C4 18p capacitor,
with the 22k fb resistor it makes a lowpass fb (<400khz) to Vvas (I think).
But in the BB and the 4R version that capacitor is omitted.
Is it of no importance ?
Regards,
Danny

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Danny_66,
Perhaps you have not seen the definitive BB schematic (version Beta v1) that was just produced, since I have not yet posted it until now. It has a larger 47pF NP0 or silver mica C111/C1110 capacitor on the feedback upstream of the the Aleph sense resistor(s) R151-153 and only an 18k carbon film downstream of the sense resistor. This was the circuit that Hugh gave us to produce and I am sure it was after careful analysis of the stability margins.

attachment.php

Quite a simple amp though isn't it?

There is also the associated PWM controller, which I would not worry too much about as we can also get standalone COTS PWM fan contollers with temp sensors for $6ea.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Alpha-BB-Beta-v1-Schematic-PWM-Controller.png
    Alpha-BB-Beta-v1-Schematic-PWM-Controller.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 493
  • Alpha-BB-Beta-v1-Schematic.png
    Alpha-BB-Beta-v1-Schematic.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Yep, still quite simple, almost the same as the Alpha20 except for the ground lift.

I see that the C4/C105 18p resistor is also omitted here.

Yes, ali/ebay is your friend for cheap PWM fan controllers.
I would definitely use a complete separate power supply with a little transformer for powering the fans and the PWM controller.
So both circuits/grounds are completely separated.

Regards,
Danny

Last edited: