Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, 1k is perfectly good for R1270 and you have a zero adjustment Class A amp! This amp works so brilliantly and after firing up two sets now - I can say it’s not a white knuckle experiment anymore (can’t be said of some other amps - especially ones that have 4 pots all interdependent and affect offset AND bias, uggh ... to think we used to deal with that - and then the DC offset drifts from startup to warm, and changes depending on if amp lid is on or off!

Last edited:
Class A power amp.

PASS LABORATORIES XA60.5

Wzmacniacze stereo - testy

24888-max_pass_laboratories_xa605_lab02.jpg

To English with Google

As the name suggests, the XA60.5 is a 60 W device, but it is a value for the A-class operating mode, not the maximum of the amplifier's capabilities. Above 60 W the terminal goes to the AB class, and to determine its typical output power (distortion THD + N = 1%) can be indicated as much as 123 W at 8 ohms and 229 W at 4 ohms. Sensitivity is 1.4 dB.

Noise level of the amplifier does not exceed the -90 dB ceiling, and this is a good result, as well as 112 dB dynamics. The frequency response (Figure 1) extends from 10 Hz with a barely noticeable drop to 100 kHz, at this frequency the level at 8 ohms is -2.1 dB, and at 4 ohms -2.3 dB. In the spectrum of distortions (Fig. 2), apparently the third harmonic can be seen, reaching -72 dB, further shows the fifth and seventh, but already significantly below -90 dB.

When we look at Figure 3, we see THD + N distortion lower than 0.1% in the initial output power ranges. This status is maintained up to 57 W at 8 ohms and 102 W at 4 ohms. The shape of the graph is quite unusual for the transistor amplifier, because minimal distortions appear quite early, at around 3 W for 8 ohms and 5 W for 4 ohms. Above this power, the THD + N increases up to the clipping area.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
PASS LABORATORIES INT-60

Wzmacniacze stereo - testy

Not able to read polish but Stereophile review says INT-60 at $9k and 55kg is an awesome amp. Class AB though. Again, the dominant 3rd order and presence of 5th & 7th harmonics makes for a different sound than the Alpha I’m sure.

Pass Laboratories INT-60 integrated amplifier Specifications | Stereophile.com

Here is Stereophile measurement for 20w into 8ohms:
1116PInt60fig10.jpg

Pretty clean actually for that level of power.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thanks X,
I will try to get those updates done today, listening to this ALPHA20 has become addictive :)
....Also, I have an amplifier just like you’re talking about and can’t figure out why the cover changes the bias? It’s not related to heat because it happens immediately once the cover is on.

No maintenance ALPHA20 sweet!! :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks X,
I will try to get those updates done today, listening to this ALPHA20 has become addictive :)
....Also, I have an amplifier just like you’re talking about and can’t figure out why the cover changes the bias? It’s not related to heat because it happens immediately once the cover is on.

No maintenance ALPHA20 sweet!! :D

The lid changes bias or DC offset? If it changes offset immediately there may be a change in the ground to 0v impedance when kid screws are in. Maybe it connects front to rear panels electrically?

The Alpha appears to have a self correcting auto DC tracking functionality built into the topology (like an opamp servo) even though there are only 6 transistors total. Because that’s the only way you can get 0mV DC offset from cold to hot without a pot.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For feedback resistors it seems high quality (Vishay Dale or Yageo) metal thin film and carbon film are about the same. But increased 3rd order for thick film metal oxide.

For power source resistors on Aleph CCS and Aleph current sense resistors it would appear high quality metal oxide (Light blue Panasonic ERX) are same as Aliexpress 3W 1% metal thin film (bright blue ones), are good equally. However, Vishay Dale wirewound:
ALSR03R3300JE12 are not suitable. Neither are Vishay Sfrenice wirewound RWM0410R150JR15E1 and I assume these are all inductive.

The white cement filled non inductive prismatic box style KOA Speer use a single U shaped metal filament like a fuse so should be good. I have not tried those but expect they should be decent.

Last edited:
A head-up for those using processor cooler and planning the final set-up: some modern Mini- or Cube PC cases can be misused as eye-catching minimalistic amp enclosures, see brands like Jonsbo, Lian Li or Fractal Design. They are mostly well designed for good inner accessibility and airflow, some with really silent 120mm or even 140mm fans. Some as Kolink Satellite+ on UK Amazon go for under GBP35 and are real bang for the buck, some as Streacom DB4 are even for 300 bucks terrific aesthetics, if you go for such kind of things...;-)

Attachments

• Kolink Satellite+.jpg
    Kolink Satellite+.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 366
  • Streacom DB4 black.jpg
    Streacom DB4 black.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 521
Maty Tinman,
It seems this Polish magazine only reviews amps with dominant odd order distortion harmonics? There must be people who like that sound? “Analytical” is what some call it I suppose. It accentuates treble and gives sense of superior resolution.

How many commercial amps do you know with H2 predominance?

Class AB H2 predominance?

You know, I like very much the sound of your F5 Juma's. But I need power with my 86dB (2.83V/1m) -4.7 Ohms minimum- speakers.

I would like an ALPHA class AB amp with same harmonic profile.