Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

The nice thing with the automated tester on eBay is that it figures out the pins for you. Any orientation works. Whereas the DMM one requires you to put in proper ECB/CBE etc. for it to work. The eBay one also tells you if it is N or P channel mosfet or Jfet, plus the Vgs. Whether or not it has a built in diode.

Awesome, hopefully it arrives fairly quickly. I'm working on measuring and matching all the components I can. I know it's not required, per se, but I have plenty of extra of just about every component so I might as well try to get them tight to spec, and to each other (channel, etc.).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am trying to figure a clean way to route the dual 24v from the external smps bricks into the case. Cannot use the standard 5.5mm barrel connector since cannot have shared ground pins on shell which would touch case ground. I think maybe Neutrick 3-pin PowerCon with two flying leads to isolated 5.5mm barrel jacks. Or install two 5.5mm barrel jacks onto a small piece of FRP (no copper) and mount that where IEC jack used to go.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Vunce, you and Pcgab are my two stars chomping at the bit to start building. I will put your boards in the mail first since you guys are so enthusiastic. I will try to fill the rest of the orders by mid week or Friday the latest. Stuffing boards into envelopes and printing labels is the least fun parts of sponsoring a GB. It usually takes me like 4 hours for a typical GB like this one.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
What about putting the SMPS bricks in a small enclosure all to themselves? Direct wire the ac input to an IEC connector on one end and wire the outputs in series to a Neutrik Powercon connector on the other end and make an umbilical cord for connecting the SMPS case to the amplifier case.
Having two bricks on the floor is a bit annoying, I think I’d rather have a single case solution.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Vunce,
Your solution is elegant and would allow use of an open frame SMPS like a pair of Meanwells. I like the fact my bricks are separate so that I can disconnect and use them
in my other amps (like MoFo). I suppose I could buy another set of 5amp 24b smps - in open frame. The key requirement is that output GND is isolated from Earth GND. This is needed to make dual rail supply by series connection.

Any specific reason to use 2 of the DC-DC boost boards giving +,0 and 0,- voltages rather than use a single board by giving +,- DC voltages to boost?
in/out of negative voltage is connected, the board only changes the + voltage so if you use one high voltage board as in below link you will end up having the + voltage boosted and negative untouched so you will have 12-0-12 boosted to 24-0-12 if you use one board to boost +/-.
in my experience is best to have two SMPS to two boost boards and connect - rail to other + rail to have your 0 rail after boost.

AMAZON - WINGONEER 600W DC 10-60V To 12-80V Step-up Module

I am trying to figure a clean way to route the dual 24v from the external smps bricks into the case. Cannot use the standard 5.5mm barrel connector since cannot have shared ground pins on shell which would touch case ground. I think maybe Neutrick 3-pin PowerCon with two flying leads to isolated 5.5mm barrel jacks. Or install two 5.5mm barrel jacks onto a small piece of FRP (no copper) and mount that where IEC jack used to go.

i m using this :
AMAZON - Panel Metal Aviation Wire Connector

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
GB Status Update:

Pinocchio - 1 pair, Paid
6L6 - 1 pair, Paid
bk856er - 1 pair, Paid
Vunce - 2 pairs, Paid
Pcgab - 1 pair, Paid
jwjarch - 1 pair, Paid