Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Which reminds me, did you ever finish your build of the Alpha, Pinocchio?

Hi X,

I've been working on my DSD DAC for the past several months and also vacations. I'm almost done with the DAC but missing the new server to re-sample to DSD 512. Currently using Roon and DSD 256 but want to use HQplayer within Roon with extreme DSD settings... :D

Basically, I'm missing the output devices and fans for the Alpha20. I need to think of an original chassis to host it due to the fan. It is not as conventional build as we know it. I've been thinking of a computer tower but with modified back and front.

All the best!
Do

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Do,
Good to hear that you are deep in DSD!
The Alpha 20 can be installed conventionally on passive heatsinks as thermal load is fine. It fits UMS heatsink offered by DIYA store in fact! I have mine mounted on Dissipante 4U x 300mm. All stand-off and MOSFET bolts match up perfectly.

Here is proof it fits UMS:
661769d1518342164-aksa-lender-mos-hybrid-aleph-alpha-amplifier-alpha20-amp-build-05-jpg

Last edited:
Hi Do,
Good to hear that you are deep in DSD!
The Alpha 20 can be installed conventionally on passive heatsinks as thermal load is fine. It fits UMS heatsink offered by DIYA store in fact! I have mine mounted on Dissipante 4U x 300mm. All stand-off and MOSFET bolts match up perfectly.

Here is proof it fits UMS:
661769d1518342164-aksa-lender-mos-hybrid-aleph-alpha-amplifier-alpha20-amp-build-05-jpg

Nice!

5U/300mm is a nice option too for those of us in the USA, and we can kick up the current to 2.4A for 115W dissipation (like suggested in the previous schematic), which will be about 20-21 deg C increase with 25 degree ambient= 45 deg C (113 deg F) total per heatsink...not bad.

Best,
Anand.

The problem is shipping and exchange rate and customs. The chassis almost doubles in price when reaching home...

I have the same problem with cost and shipping. But fortunately a chassis for class A is easy to make. Once you have the two heatsinks, you just need top, bottom and rear panels - which is easy to make and drill yourself. And lastly a thicker aluminum faceplate to round it off.

That's the route I went with my ACA and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. An added bonus is that you get even more bragging rights, having made the chassis yourself.

Below is my ACA chassis - all home made, except for anodizing and machining of the faceplate.

Attachments

• ACA_side.jpg
    ACA_side.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 326
  • ACA_front.jpg
    ACA_front.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Beautiful work Skylar! Totally pro looking - you should be very proud. Photos of insides?

Thanks guys.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but here are two pics before anodizing and painting. X, you should recognize the cap Mx's on the bottom panel. :p

It took two weekends to sand away the saw marks on the heatsinks!

I also custom designed the boards and had it made by seeedstudio.com because the store didn't have stock. Now I have even more bragging rights! :D

Attachments

• ACA.jpg
    ACA.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 190
  • ACA3.jpg
    ACA3.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 198
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
XRK,

My apologies. I did that with just some simple calculations, correct me if I am wrong, don't want to steer anybody the wrong way! :eek:

Best,
Anand.

No worries, I seem to remember a well-respected member on the Pass forum saying that the 5U 300mm heatsinks on the Dissipante/Deluxe chassis were good for about 75w as they would be at 55C for 25C ambient. However, 55C is just a human-touch comfort/safety issue, one could probably run a little hotter and electronics won't mind, it just will be uncomfortable to touch for more than 2 seconds.

My 4U at 55w is running 45C so that seems to make sense.

3D construction started (3U):
- BOSCH 20x20mm profiles with accessories
- 4x NOCTUA NH-D9L

- Toroidy TTSAS0800-2x25V

Missing input filtering with DC blocker and pro channel, cap multiplier, CRCRC (probably new design based on Prasi´s one).

I´ll define the volume for my UPACC (with 7" display).

JP

Attachments

• BB-ENCLO-BOT.jpg
    BB-ENCLO-BOT.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 448
  • BB-ENCLO-TOP.jpg
    BB-ENCLO-TOP.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 454
Joined 2014
Paid Member
3D construction started (3U):
- BOSCH 20x20mm profiles with accessories
- 4x NOCTUA NH-D9L

- Toroidy TTSAS0800-2x25V
JP

JP,
Nice clean enclosure rendition for the BB :)
I think maybe you should increase transformer VA and output voltages thought, especially if not in mono block configuration.
I’m using a 600va, 2x32v trafo with CRCLC and get an end result of +/-38.5vdc with a single BB channel connected.

Progress...

Two 600VA donuts.

Main power PCB with filtering, DC blocker and terminals for the two donuts and the UPACC between the two donuts.

Big dual power supply board with Graetz rectifier, capacitor multiplier, CRCRC and star grounding stacked up. Not finished yet but good progress.

JP

Attachments

• BB-ENCLO_2_2.jpg
    BB-ENCLO_2_2.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 346
  • BB-ENCLO_2_1.jpg
    BB-ENCLO_2_1.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 344
  • BB-SUP_1.png
    BB-SUP_1.png
    537.2 KB · Views: 331