AKSA 55, 100 - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is strange to me those things.

...really, really, really boys...i have made thousands amplifiers and i have never faced so many strange things.

This switches on my "suspection" department.... sometimes i feel that as a theater...... as i have never faced so many troubles with amplifiers, in special the super hyper reliable Aksa units.

Well..if this is really happening.... say....nothing created for fun (a very dark fun i think) i should suggest dear Professor to call a Brazilian spiritualist man, to dance something to keep bad spirits distant...to smoke some cigars and to put some food to the evil spirits that are dominating his home with all those beyong the imagination things happening.

Maybe Inspector Clouseau from the Pink Panther will solve this mistery.

ahahahahah!

I am sorry Hugh, but i am starting to laugh... the tragedy is so big that i cannot avoid to laugh.... Mr. Professor is very creative, or has a very bad luck.... watch the skies above him, and tell uncle charlie if you see a black cloud going everywere he goes.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• bad luck.jpg
    bad luck.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 543
I've recently finished constructing my own AKSA 55N+ refurb from Hugh and I've yet to encounter any issues with the amp at all. The only issue i do have is that I can't listen to it all the time as one must either work or sleep at some point.

Nevertheless it was a painless process of assembly electronically and any questions I had were easily solved with the assistance of google or Hugh. I'm not sure what you're encountering p.smith but a smidge more research could help your cause :)

Here's my efforts below, all mounted in 10mm acrylic.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers,
Huy

Kenji,

I am delirious with joy and relief that the sound is picking up - we live in hope that it will come up to the appropriate standard!!

Carlos,

I have had the pleasure of listening to Huy's AKSA 55N+ in my own home. We spent half a day last week auditioning it. LOVELY sound, I was very pleased and really impressed with the layout and case, which is all glued together.

I am delighted you enjoy Inspector Clouseau of the Surete! The Pink Panther movies are some of the funniest I have ever seen, I distinctly remember about thirty years ago watching the Revenge of the Pink Panther and actually falling out of my chair!! They are up there with the Marx Brothers, they really are.

Gareth,

The light bar is a 5mm diameter perspex tube with two blue LEDs affixed at each end. In the center he has beautifully engraved the logo ASPEN, and when the LEDs come on, it stands out very clearly.

It really is a novel and fascinating layout. It reminds me of an Italian telephone I bought in the late eighties which was built of clear perspex, the entire internals were visible, and there was a ring of blue light surrounding the internals, very spectacular. Sadly, however, it did not work well, unlike Huy's AKSA.

There was absolutely no hum on Huy's AKSA. He took no special precautions, just followed the instructions, and it was quiet as a churchyard.

Huy is fascinated by cars. We discussed the problems of fitting a Lexus V8 to my old Cressida. He proved a wealth of information!

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA said:
Gareth,

The light bar is a 5mm diameter perspex tube with two blue LEDs affixed at each end. In the center he has beautifully engraved the logo ASPEN, and when the LEDs come on, it stands out very clearly.

It really is a novel and fascinating layout. It reminds me of an Italian telephone I bought in the late eighties which was built of clear perspex, the entire internals were visible, and there was a ring of blue light surrounding the internals, very spectacular. Sadly, however, it did not work well, unlike Huy's AKSA.

There was absolutely no hum on Huy's AKSA. He took no special precautions, just followed the instructions, and it was quiet as a churchyard.

Huy is fascinated by cars. We discussed the problems of fitting a Lexus V8 to my old Cressida. He proved a wealth of information! I was very impressed.

Cheers,

Hugh

The lightbar looks good, would love to see a photo of it in action.

Here are the speakers to go with it: http://www.perfect8.com/cube.htm

I was a young driver in the UK when my father went out to test drive a used Lexus with a V8 (he never bought one). I got to try it. Pulling out from a stop into a roundabout I dabbed on the gas pedal. It moved forward so furiously and yet so smoothly with no engine noise that I thought somebody had run into the back of me !

Gareth,

Here is the picture of Huy's AKSA. You can see the blue lightbar clearly, with the highlighted logo.

The Lexus V8 was the most expensive V8 ever developed at $USD980M, and formed the basis of BMW's V8s in the nineties.

They are a superb engine with no known weaknesses, the Japanese equivalent of the small block Chev, but much smoother and more economical.

Hugh

Attachments

• huyng1s.jpg
    huyng1s.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 504
Very nice, good even glow.

V8: agree, Lexus have taken it to a high degree of perfection. I'm no willing to spend that kind of dough. Unfortunately, BMW didn't do it perfectly, some of their V8's had serious issues just a few years ago that were subject to 'quiet' recalls (or so I heard - no lawyers watching here are there ?). My old Ford V8 was a rough beast. Couldn't live with it and sold it after one season.

Gareth,
Thanks for your comments. Acrylic is a bit more tedious to work with than wood or metal however if you have any questions just fire away.

Here are two more images of the light. As Hugh stated, its just a bit of acrylic tube with two 3mm waterclear blue LED's counter sunk either end. One for each channel. Should i lose a channel i will know right away and it also assists in discharging the caps when i turn off the amplifier.

It's not actually a white wire, it's just some fibreglass sleeving. I wanted Black sleeving but the local shop only had that cream stuff. I need to track down some black sleeving as that would look much nicer.

RE: the cube speakers, love them but sadly the budget doesn't allow for their purchase. I do have a spare subwoofer driver lying around which I'm entertaining the idea of placing into a clear enclosure but alas time is not on my side at the moment to undertake that project. One day :)

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/dh_huy/DSC00453_small.jpg]
[/URL]

hate going off topic but you're actually wrong that the v8 would make the cressida handle worse. ironically it would handle better as the v8 sits further back than the straight six iron block 7m inside there.

common conversion these days in australia with quite a few running around the country, some even force fed. anyhow i think that's enough off topic. :)

it may bed down even more and start sounding even better?
really?

I will add that what I initially wrote you, which has been posted here is an understatement because it now sounds much better in all respects.

Moreover the sound is much more consistent. I have listened for the past few days and each day it's been the same.

But the thing that strikes me is the lack of harshness. Is this why the AKsa has been comapred with class A amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.