AKSA 55, 100 - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe brother Charles big magic.

Thanks.... thanks a lot.

Temperature here is 29 degrées.... pizza keep warm for 10 minutes with the card papper case openned..and i have introduced into an aluminium rounded dish and into the oven when the girls arrived.... was opened to show you the pig meat condimented with nice spices ....the guy is Italian...reason why te pizza is awsome.

Buffalo female cheese and special things made by the Italian pizzaiolo wife.... very different than the US ones.

Cheers!

Carlos

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Carlos,
We are somewhere below 20 °C here. It's actually chilly and drizzling, our way of saying very light rain. Our Pizza has not yet arrived. Either it will walk in with my wife, or some poor fella will come by later with it.

It's time to turn up your AKSA amplifiers to warm this place up.

Hey! I hear Anita coming in. It might be dinner time!

Here you have another picture.

attached,

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• aksa.jpg
    aksa.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 437
Rabbitz is super skilled into photography..also build things very pretty

and use to build several speakers and amplifiers too.

The guy is a super DIYer.... humble...too much to his skills.

I have several pictures from him.... all them lovely, not only technically, but also the quality of construction of his amplifiers he used as model to produce nice pictures.

I think i will produce a slide movie..so nice are his pictures...will select musics from the sixties and will produce some.

He has an Aksa amplifier, so crispy the image is, that i cannot post as secrets will be clear there.

here you have Aksa amplifier from Rabbitz... lovely construction..do not know if was Hugh that made this one or if was Rabbitz... seems to me Rabbitz as he is very carefull with details... a little bit more than Hugh i think.

Here is the last image posted... something to compensate that poor Hugh was smashed here for some time....

regards,

Carlos

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hey.... they're my amps.

The one in post #324 and #328 is the Lifeforce 55 with Hugh's supplied modules and my installation. I have very fond memories of this amp as was very priviliged to be part of a tweaking process by Hugh the master. It was facinating to follow the attention to detail and thought process involved. It was one of the highlights of my DIY amp building and thank Hugh for the communication as it unfolded.

The amp in post #326 is my mongrel AKSA 55N+ as it is really a mixture and is my current amp. It's built on boards supplied by Hugh when I bought the LF55 and became an amp where I could try a lot of different things which I wouldn't have done on my beloved kits for fear of destroying them. A great opportunity for a builder thanks to Hugh.

Thanks for your kind words once again Carlos. :blush:

Chris.... it's just below 20°C here and I'm feezing my butt off. Brrrrrr :cold:

My 'topless' AKSA 55N+...

Built it me self with some advice from Hugh
Listening impressions? I like it... a lot. and I've only got about 20 hours on it.

My current set up:

Lossless ripped CDs to my pc (MacBook)
Digital out (USB) to a Peter Daniel NOS DAC
DAC to a Peter Millett Hybrid Head phone/line stage
Pre to AKSA 55N+
Amp to MJK Open Baffles (Eminence Alpha 15 + Fostex 103)
(some times, I'll use some vintage Klipsch Heresies, very sensitive

It really does sound great. Waiting for a few subtleties to fill in. It gets better every day. I have a little hiss (as expected) from the Pre but otherwise its dead quiet and oh yes, the set up goes very loud and clean.

Great Amp. Great service from Hugh. More pictures to follow

Attachments

• dscn0005.jpg
    dscn0005.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 809
Last one...

A final photo with the entire set up. The listening room (currently) my office. Far less than ideal. I can't bear to bring it home... but I've promised the neighbors a listen and some beers...

You can see the DAC, pre, AKSA N+ and Open Baffles . A bit tight, but it's the best d**n sounding office on campus, by a many country miles.;)

Ryan (one happy fellow)

PS. I used a purple led.... ummm because i can.

Attachments

• dscn0008.jpg
    dscn0008.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 779
Ryan,

That's a beautiful layout, very clean, uncluttered, nice wiring (although a tad long?). Innovative mount for the heatsink, too.

Thank you for your favorable comments and a glimpse of your amp. It steadily gets better as it beds in, but it may degrade for some while before that happens. I suspect this has been Kenji's issue, but time will tell....

Cheers,

Hugh

Cheers Hugh,

Yes, I wrestled with the length of the mains wiring etc. All of the input and output wires are short (i.e. near the back of the chassis). To achieve that, the mains run and ground lines to star are long. But, it is dead quiet so no complaints here.

I posted the layout over on the 'issue' thread. Mine is only a working example (one of many many)

The heatsink is mounted on alum. pillars that I fab'd.

Thanks for the great amp, great service and great music Hugh!!

Ryan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's the way to do it.

Hi Ryan,
I'd have to say that your wiring job is excellent! Really, the optimal way to lay out an amplifier. You have satisfied every requirement for keeping the AC mains away from everything and all other cables are reasonably short.

When the layout and wiring has been done properly, things will always work out well.

Just think. The power transformers are near the front. That means that if you were to rack mount this amp, the bulk of the weight is supported by the faceplate. If you are simply sliding the amp into a shelf, the weight near the front makes it much easier to do. Meanwhile, the signal inputs have a very short distance to travel. So a small capacitance or distance to pick up noise.

Again, well done!

-Chris

Dear members,

I think the sound is now settling down with more 'good' periods although it still fluctuates.

However I have tried two cd players with this amp, and both have presented a loud hum, presumably a ground loop hum.

My previous amplifier never had such problems. I spoke to Hugh about this and he blamed the DAC. I spoke to the DAC manufacturer and he pinned the blame on the amp. So we have a situation where each are blaming the other and I am caught in the middle.

The way I see it is that it is an issue of compatibility. My question is why is hum more prevalent now than with my previous amp?

And how would I get rid of it?

Keep in mind that the cd player I tried only had 2 pins on the power input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.