• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.

UCViKg8a5CqqtbcVvS7p0VwsCQIHbf3X1_qokRCZDCu_s4B_7BZDcnTeT9ZbqS3MxTIiQEXJH5Y-iYo1LPMwztfUfDPJB1BVgtvsMCc4tyQVawgRy0spcEwrIWECkEIxuE1lAukzrOuw3Loy2-myAjBJjw3GpAPs92m7bzrCGUwIPGRAdVaoPRRHK55r7L81IKBb_LjHaYBYJ56WSuXOiZkGe9vYG4OJIIH_ALOq7jg9bkPtUGFL5jSR79s9ZsY-NA2rdDcu1y63SFCS8XPM6lwA_tRqFLrol-RoyLgmpOelNbcW1I9M7QI2a9dJ1-ynk-p7KEpi6m2MR1oZVlmYVbVUfW0OA3-V2c1sLCHpo2gzPNBOs_jmUeh31Zr3nYuk7hVdcCnB5jC6JURNzqLZnCyaEk1J7zQaEPkhI8Jh0DWwDULqFJwarJ1KDLhdAmcoyfhgOriLVRS8tiVrCTETjDCbkWYHhwF4fyDK24CHf0N0ofk4lXYf3USjvKZzqT0eJxiA5vj1UPm2DNr0c4Wld2s_O_-Ua72y8Z0nGAeA17bKkBiecQ7S1y99YMjWyUHA3sh-7f-72A0GpiKL5gYJqZvgd13riV0ndUK50Esgx0afjosPUYyS8YKm0IMRlanYW_DWU7sUMvYCJRo1pp-8naUPuN1tnQn81SOa7Ap_2A=w971-h794-no

Received the SilentSwitcher board few days ago. Quickly wired it up and powered the DAC board with a 5V 2A phone charger. My initial listening impressions were very positive, the DAC sounds really good with the SilentSwitcher psu.

The new DAC is heavily populated but still same size.

The new DAC will get a really cheap front end. Only LED's, led driver for I2C bus and maybe an encoder. So the front can be simple and cheaper 2 layer PCB.

One more thing. I will do a variant that has DSD1794A mounted as well. 99.5% the same circuit...

Attachments

• usb dac top v11.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 173
  • usb dac bottom v11.pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 121
MIRAND AK4490 USB DAC V1.1

Hello Guys/Girls

The new DAC is sent to production and the boards will arrive the 14.02.17

As you can see the board is heavily populated on both sides.

This DAC is backward compatible with Revision 1.0 but also on the same time it can with the right software, control a display, buttons, led’s, switches and attenuators.

But we had to make it 2mm larger on the left side to get all down onto the board.

The interfaces present for audio sources is:

SPDIF – RCA (up to 192KHz/24Bit)
SPDIF – Optical (Up to 96KHz/24Bit)
I2S – 3.3V CMOS level (Up to 192KHZ/24Bit)

SPDIF and I2S runs through an SRC4392 sample rate converter where the signal is converted to 192KHz/24Bit. It is to lower Jitter and at the same time the combination of good SPDIF receivers and a good Samplerate converter is difficult to get at a better value and space.

Oscillators:

The oscillators used can be low cost FOX as is in the V1.0 DAC or it can be the expensive and very low phase noise Crystek CCHD-957 oscillators. (There is one crystal oscillator that is not possible to change but it is used as a reference for the SPDIF input to detect the sample frequency)

USB:

USB is galvanic isolated now. We use a DC/DC converter from Murata, but it can be feed with an external +5V source that is isolated. J11 is the input for that voltage. J13 is a control signal for an external source if you want’s to turn it off. Data rates is still the same as for the version 1.0 -> 384KHz/32Bit and DoP 128/DSD 256.

Reclocking and control of I2S/DSD signal path:

Reclocking and mux control is done by the CPLD found on the backside of the board.

Maincontroller:

The maincontroller on this board is an ATSAMD21J18A from Atmel which is an Cortex M0+ with 256Kbyte of flash and 32K sram. Now Cortex M0+ is not the fastest controller on the Market but still fast enough for the required functions. And it has a lot peripherals! Connector J17 is of interest for OEM integration as well as a cheap front panel for DIY audio.

On the picture of J17 we can see 3 SERCOM ports. SERCOM can be configured as I2C, UART or SPI interface. We have inputs for an encoder as well (+3.3V signal level) and last we have an IR data pin.
Firmware upgrade:

Firmware upgrade is done through an RS232 port connected to J12. To Do upgrade an reset is necessary and a high level on J17 Boot pin or by pressing S2 while booting.

Outputstage:

The output stage is the same as for the V1.0 of the DAC. Only spacers will need to be higher (15 – 18mm instead of 12mm in V1.0)

I think that was it for now.

Mainboard with simpel frontpanel price:

407€ + shipping

Early bird:

326€ + shipping

Simpel frontpanel with have an IR port, LED's, Button and holes for an encoder.

BR

Sonny

Attachments

• ak4490 USB DAC V11 J17 .png
    ak4490 USB DAC V11 J17 .png
    18.2 KB · Views: 637
  • ak4490 USB DAC V11 top side.png
    ak4490 USB DAC V11 top side.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 638
  • ak4490 USB DAC V11 bottom side.png
    ak4490 USB DAC V11 bottom side.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:
Hello Guys/Girls

The new DAC is sent to production and the boards will arrive the 14.02.17

As you can see the board is heavily populated on both sides.

This DAC is backward compatible with Revision 1.0 but also on the same time it can with the right software, control a display, buttons, led’s, switches and attenuators.

But we had to make it 2mm larger on the left side to get all down onto the board.

The interfaces present for audio sources is:

SPDIF – RCA (up to 192KHz/24Bit)
SPDIF – Optical (Up to 96KHz/24Bit)
I2S – 3.3V CMOS level (Up to 192KHZ/24Bit)

SPDIF and I2S runs through an SRC4392 sample rate converter where the signal is converted to 192KHz/24Bit. It is to lower Jitter and at the same time the combination of good SPDIF receivers and a good Samplerate converter is difficult to get at a better value and space.

Oscillators:

The oscillators used can be low cost FOX as is in the V1.0 DAC or it can be the expensive and very low phase noise Crystek CCHD-957 oscillators. (There is one crystal oscillator that is not possible to change but it is used as a reference for the SPDIF input to detect the sample frequency)

USB:

USB is galvanic isolated now. We use a DC/DC converter from Murata, but it can be feed with an external +5V source that is isolated. J11 is the input for that voltage. J13 is a control signal for an external source if you want’s to turn it off. Data rates is still the same as for the version 1.0 -> 384KHz/32Bit and DoP 128/DSD 256.

Reclocking and control of I2S/DSD signal path:

Reclocking and mux control is done by the CPLD found on the backside of the board.

Maincontroller:

The maincontroller on this board is an ATSAMD21J18A from Atmel which is an Cortex M0+ with 256Kbyte of flash and 32K sram. Now Cortex M0+ is not the fastest controller on the Market but still fast enough for the required functions. And it has a lot peripherals! Connector J17 is of interest for OEM integration as well as a cheap front panel for DIY audio.

On the picture of J17 we can see 3 SERCOM ports. SERCOM can be configured as I2C, UART or SPI interface. We have inputs for an encoder as well (+3.3V signal level) and last we have an IR data pin.
Firmware upgrade:

Firmware upgrade is done through an RS232 port connected to J12. To Do upgrade an reset is necessary and a high level on J17 Boot pin or by pressing S2 while booting.

Outputstage:

The output stage is the same as for the V1.0 of the DAC. Only spacers will need to be higher (15 – 18mm instead of 12mm in V1.0)

I think that was it for now.

Mainboard with simpel frontpanel price:

407€ + shipping

Early bird:

326€ + shipping

Simpel frontpanel with have an IR port, LED's, Button and holes for an encoder.

BR

Sonny

Nice Sonny! :)

Taggart2 has asked me if i would provide an outputs stage with the DAC board. First it was not supposed to be so. But i will provide an SE outputstage board based on the ADA4898-2 with no additional cost, and if someone would like to have the Discrete board instead it will cost additional 99€ in early bird with this DAC board.

Mainboard with simpel frontpanel and SE (ADA4898-2 based outputstage) price :

407€ + shipping

Early bird:

326€ + shipping

Mainboard with simpel frontpanel and discrete outputstage price :

526€ + shipping

Early bird:

425€ + shipping

LPS V2.0 as early bird for the DAC AK4490 V1.1 only 139€