agree with doug self?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually I have found that musicians generally aren't even interested in high end audio.

More often than not they have crappy, sub $1K systems which would make audiophiles blanch....

Yet they are quite happy, and miss very little of the performance.

Why is that?

That's one of the best questions I've heard asked on this forum Hugh. Kudos:D I have some notions about how to begin to answer that question myself, but I'll hold back to see what other ideas come up.

Interesting that B&W have marketed some of their speakers using Alfred Brendel. Wonder what speakers he'd have if they hadn't...:p

Probably they won't know if its a real violin or a synthesized one in that situation. I'm interested in hearing such distinctions myself.
They sure will if they have any experience. And its not the quality that makes the difference its the performance.

Quote:
By the way if you still dont understand, the answer to all of the above is EMOTION.

And so? I do understand emotion

And do you think the same part of the brain processes emotion and sound quality?

So you're going on to say that sound quality is not art

Of course it isnt art.

They sure will if they have any experience.

At 100mph. 30 year old truck. With the window open. AM radio.

Experience of what then? Driving?

And do you think the same part of the brain processes emotion and sound quality?

I hardly know where to begin with such a question. The brain does not 'process emotion' rather it creates it. Emotions are most probably neuropeptides (endorphins are one such), so they don't locate themselves in one part of the brain, they tend move around in the bodily fluids. As for 'sound quality' its also a creation of the brain - there is no sound quality in what's commonly called 'the objective world' - merely vibrations.

Of course it isnt art.

Well that settles it then. Of course.:D

Try and get the point which was: the composer is worth 10 times the sound crew because the emotion in the music is worth a lot more than the sound quality.

So given that people will pay more for some musicians, but not all, how does this relate back to the original point? Orchestral players are notoriously not particularly well paid and its them who are responsible for putting the emotion into much movie music. Or do you believe that the emotion is somehow hidden in the score? If its emotion that gets the most money, then those players ought to be paid more than the composer - after all the composer just produced notes on a page. A MIDI synth could be used to create the music.

Just to remind you - you claimed that sound quality and musical quality were probably processed in different parts of the brain. And you claimed that sound quality and musical quality were totally unrelated things.

So far you've gone off on various tangents rather than substantiate your claims.

I agree with Hugh's point that musicians can enjoy the music without paying attention to the sound quality. I don't see how that supports your claim that they're unrelated when a person is listening to a high-end system. I'll merely cite that audiophiles often use the term 'musical' of a good sounding amplifier or system. To them, a good sound is evaluated precisely by its ability to convey music in a way which affects them emotionally.

Emotions.. tend to move around in the bodily fluids

Do you just make this stuff up.

"Your brain has a little bunch of cells on each side called the amygdala (say: uh-mig-duh-luh). The word amygdala is Latin for almond, and that's what this area looks like. Scientists believe that the amygdala is responsible for emotion."

Again the point is: music (for 99% of the population) is about emotion not sound quality and there is very little link between the two.

Orchestral players are notoriously not particularly well paid and its them who are responsible for putting the emotion into much movie music

So get them to play Row row row your boat with feeling and you get rid of the composer. The producers will be so happy to hear this.

A MIDI synth could be used to create the music

And some of the best scores were.

So far you've gone off on various tangents rather than substantiate your claims.

What tangents?

I agree with Hugh's point that musicians can enjoy the music without paying attention to the sound quality. I don't see how that supports your claim that they're unrelated when a person is listening to a high-end system

The musician gets the same out of low fi or hi fi so there unrelated. Whats so hard to understand.

Last edited:
Do you just make this stuff up.

Of course I make it up, I'm a constructivist.:D If you're genuinely interested in understanding the physical basis for emotions, you could do a lot worse than reading Candace Pert's 'The Molecules of Emotion'.

"Your brain has a little bunch of cells on each side called the amygdala (say: uh-mig-duh-luh). The word amygdala is Latin for almond, and that's what this area looks like. Scientists believe that the amygdala is responsible for emotion."

Did you get this from wikipedia? Ah, no, I see one stage back from that - kidshealth.org.

Again the point is: music (for 99% of the population) is about emotion not sound quality and there is very little link between the two.

Aha we've found consensus. Almost. I'd say that audiophiles and diyers are probably less than 1% of the population, so no disagreements there. And you've moved from 'unrelated' to 'very little link' so I guess that counts as progress.:D

Did you get this from wikipedia? Ah, no, I see one stage back from that - kidshealth.org.

Trying to keep it at your level. Is it incorrect?

I get the feeling your just trying to argue, and since Ive made my point more than clear to almost eveyone else, im out of hear. Besides, anyone who thinks the composer isnt resposible for the emotional content of a movie score knows little about music.

Trying to keep it at your level.

Which part of your brain was responsible for processing which 'level' I'm at ? Curious to learn more.

Is it incorrect?

Not so much incorrect as simplistic and doesn't pertain to the current discussion.

I get the feeling your just trying to argue, and since Ive made my point more than clear to almost eveyone else, im out of hear.

Cool, given your feelings I think that's the best course of action. You're not here to hear, just to make your point to your own satisfaction.

Besides, anyone who thinks the composer isnt resposible for the emotional content of a movie score knows little about music.

Ah, that wouldn't be me. It would be you that thinks responsibility is an all or nothing thing - myself I veer very much towards collective responsibility. That would extend to the conductor too - he (or very rarely she) bears a high level of responsibility for eliciting the higher emotions from the orchestra. But ultimately, its about the players to deliver based on inspiration from both composer and conductor. A MIDI synth delivers no emotion, even when programmed from the same score.

Abraxalito

"Well you'll certainly not be doing this experiment then as you're already 100% sure of the result. You might wish to read up a long article about Bob Carver on Stereophile. Then again, since you seem to already "know" that all amps sound the same, you probably won't want to read it"

Well I've read it, and the conclusion it comes to seems to be that Bob Carver could make an ordinary $700 amp sound exactly the same as a megabuck amp by matching the electrical parameters (gain, mains voltage etc etc.) through his nulling technique first. That suggests that it's the minor differences in frequency response, gain, mains input voltage etc that make amps sound different rather than expensive boutique components and cables.

I remain of the opinion that any two competently designed amps will sound precisely the same - provided their electrical characteristics are equivalent.

Last edited:
Well I've read it, and the conclusion it comes to seems to be that Bob Carver could make an ordinary $700 amp sound exactly the same as a megabuck amp by matching the electrical parameters (gain, mains voltage etc etc.) through his nulling technique first. QED methinks.

QED indeed. No, you haven't missed anything. You've implicitly admitted that the amps initially sounded different - Bob Carver had to work his 'magic' to make them sound the same.

Now do you wish to re-state your original 'all amps sound the same unless driven into clipping' claim with additional qualifications?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Gentlemen, the OP sought views of agreement with D. Self's publication(s). I for One would be pleased to hear more of them. Bickering over argument itself is fun for undergrads and perhaps bored intellectuals but does nothing for the thread but terminate it in disgrace.

Same crew - same inevitable results, guys. I read that some of you can do much better when you choose.

Last edited:
Yes, reluctantly agree with Ian. This is getting a bit ad hominem, and going nowhere except acrimony.

Sooner or later one or both of you will be modded out - considering this is such a wonderful forum for people with strong opinions, is it worth it?

I always drag this one out, but here goes again, 'And the fighting was bitter, trenchant and deeply vindictive, because the stakes were so low'.

Cheers,

Hugh

Gentlemen, the OP sought views of agreement D. Self's publication(s). I for One would pleased to hear more of them.

So by all means, offer yours. No other postings are preventing you from doing that. Its well known that Doug himself is fairly dismissive of what he terms 'subjectivism' - so arguments in relation to that topic are indeed relevant to whether we agree or disagree with Mr. Self.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sorry to disappoint but my rambling support for science was posted on P2. I have no need to go on but perhaps we still have worthy critics out in cybersphere?

Maybe Doug could be coaxed from his foxhole to add to the merriment and we can all discuss with less accusative dialogue. At this GMT unfortunately, I doubt it.

Last edited:
QED indeed. No, you haven't missed anything. You've implicitly admitted that the amps initially sounded different - Bob Carver had to work his 'magic' to make them sound the same.

Now do you wish to re-state your original 'all amps sound the same unless driven into clipping' claim with additional qualifications?

Abraxalito

You're far too selective in your selection of the quote. You omitted:

"I remain of the opinion that any two competently designed amps will sound precisely the same - provided their electrical characteristics are equivalent."

OTOH, you can design with THD solely in mind and somehow deal with the poor correlation between good sound and low THD?

What exactly is the correlation, Wahab, can you describe it usefully to me?

Hugh

As pointed by Abraxalito, i didn t say that such a correlation exist,
at least not in the sense you re quoting.
Certainly that stability is a parameter correlated with "good sounding".

About THD, the less the better , as this allow for true hifi
reproduction.
The SET amps may sound well to some ears, but it s not hifi anymore
since they don t provide accurate linearity.
As already pointed many times, it happens that some people like
the tubey high level of THD..
Why ?..Because it s a mean to add some musical brillance to the sound
contrary to a baxandall tone control that will increase brillance without
discrimination between the harmonics ranks..

As a useful experience, try an APHEX Aural Exciter with a SS amp
using a CD that has usually a clinical sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.