agree with doug self?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
"The use of 10R and 1,000uF in the negative rail supply....."

Well, even at DIY level, it is necessary to keep a sense of proportion and not throw everything in the new ideas book into an amp in the hope that one idea will work or that the sum of all efforts will give higher PSRR than what the other guys are talking about.

In Self's amplifier manual, the text is directed specifically to commercial, boutique amp manufacturers. Every cent, ( sorry, P), component, or square mm of PCB real estate is a less pretty case, brochure or potential sales. It is not a definitive text on amp design IMO, nor is it a tour de force of high-end design trends. This is book to avoid waste, pointless complexity and gain maximum specs for the least bucks. Indeed, the big profits have all been made on cheap parts, economical designs and amps that work reliably under adverse conditions. That's not our typical notion of hi-fi nor much of amps to our recipes at all.

However, it is truly great that we DIYers get good learning value from it and I suspect that many of us learned far more from Self than we care to admit. For many years, the only readily available text that informed anywhwere near as widely and well is Randy Slone's "High power audio amp construction manual" and Randy was declaredly inspired by and modelled much of his exploratory work on Self's anyway.

I have indeed read books and papers by Duncan, JLH, and many others but Self's amp. book was the journey I needed to take after 30 years of amateur audio and stumbling around amidst conflicting professional statements, printed works and peer opinions.

I should apologise to readers and authors of other books, even in other languages, in the last 10 years or so that I have not yet heard of. After all, there could be even better books for us by authors aiming their work at our community with their perception of our specific educational needs.

I think Bob Cordell might like to feel he has done this now and we will soon notice the benefits. A great idea and many thanks to him too.

Ian
Like you, I have also read books and articles by Ben Duncan, JLH and others, but Douglas Self is in a class of his own,even though we may not always agree 100% with everything that he writes.This applies especially to his rigid views on Subjectivity. As Douglas keeps revising his books to later editions, it seems that he is still on a learning curve too ?
SandyK

Joined 2006
Paid Member
..in the 80's when i was still at University, my favorite magazine was Wireless World...where you could read great articles from the masters of audio.

Up and comming "youngsters" then were, for me at least, Sigfried Linkwitz with his 3 box active speakers ( 78 ) and Doug Self with his Noise gate articles and Preamplifier initial versions ( he was still in Uni himself )....just looking at the schematics was an experience.

Today i havent changed my opinion on either of them...true masters, as are Bob Cordell, Nelson Pass....many others in these pages.

Diference in points of view only makes this art evolve.

A big thank you to all.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
..in the 80's when i was still at University, my favorite magazine was Wireless World...where you could read great articles from the masters of audio.

Up and comming "youngsters" then were, for me at least, Sigfried Linkwitz with his 3 box active speakers ( 78 ) and Doug Self with his Noise gate articles and Preamplifier initial versions ( he was still in Uni himself )....just looking at the schematics was an experience.

Today i havent changed my opinion on either of them...true masters, as are Bob Cordell, Nelson Pass....many others in these pages.

Diference in points of view only makes this art evolve.

A big thank you to all.

I missed that too, and decided to do something about it ;)

My new bookzine Linear Audio Volume 0 has articles from Doug Self, Siegfried Linkwitz, Nelson Pass, Bob Cordell and a few other giants.....

Just what you'd like ;)

jan didden

Joined 2010
Paid Member
My new bookzine Linear Audio Volume 0 has articles from Doug Self, Siegfried Linkwitz, Nelson Pass, Bob Cordell and a few other giants.....Just what you'd like ;)

Jan, you have moved me from complacency to enthusiasm by your inspiration and effort in getting this project rolling. How could a curious DIY guy resist?

I will look into signing up a.s.a.p.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.