Advice for novice speaker builder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello again!

I contacted Solen on December 22 and the expected delivery of the Satori 5" mid has been delayed until January 7 or so.

In a somewhat fubarian maneuver I managed to order the wrong tweeters. The Solen staff have been fantastic! I hope these can be made to work. They are SB Acoustics model TW29R(Satori). They have a 101mm faceplate.

Would x-overs 400 hz and 3.2K hz work out? (Approximately).

JReave: Thank you and Merry Christmas!

The Satori tweeters are a step up from the originals so you won't have any problems there. I had worked up a xo for your previous selections and the xo points ended up at 400Hz and 2500Hz. The Satori tweeter can cross lower than the 29RDNC so you can take it lower if you want to but what ends up happening is you sort of let the drivers determine what will work best in terms of slopes and phase alignments. I think I would shoot for about the same xo point to start off with with the new tweeter.

You are very welcome and Merry Christmas to you too.

Some Deep Thoughts brought to you by Jimmy154

Super broad general rule for me:
Every octave you go down you need double the Sd.

You need to listen a lot to figure out what you want or be able to cut through the BS by having very good knowledge about all types of physics.

Seems as though dome midranges are slowly replacing cone midranges (in some design goals), just like dome tweeters took over cone tweeters. For your vocals/midrange enjoyment and for on-axis listening I would think or listen to some dome midrange designs. Personally I don't "design" speakers for on-axis listening so I don't use them.

Making a MTMWW with 7 inch woofers makes no sense to me.
Then again making passive speakers or reading/replying to threads on diy audio or making speakers at all, makes no sense to me.
Then again, again, the human condition makes no sense to me.
Then again, okay last time, what do I know?

Try to realize making speakers takes a long time and you might want to stack the odds in your favor by not using sheep drivers. Took me 20 years to realize this. This applies to just about anything, like the "Art of War". Also all the little things add up in speaker building (and life?).

Depending on where you are coming from a minidsp can be a godsend to those experienced or far too many choices for the inexperienced newb to fully grasp. Minidsp's other than the Sharc and DRC (FIR) cannot make phase adjustments. Per channel you have input level, 1 (global) six band PEQ, crossover (type or direct biquad), 1 six band PEQ, delay (upto 7.5ms in 0.02ms steps), polarity and level in that order.

Poweramps to do so can be expensive, but again depending on your level of experience can improve this cost. Example, purchased two 4 channel amps kits prebuilt (just laziness on my part) for $80 each. Cheap enough, but power supplies are not included. Seeing that these things are not standard off the shelf items must be designed and built. Again level of experience comes in handy. For my needs it worked out that I can modify a pair of 625va Torroid transformers from Parts Express that are on sale for $70 each. Now for filtering/storage we'll need caps 'n rectifiers and to power it up safely requires a softstart. Parts to do all this is another ~$150. End of the day I have spent ~$500 for 8/ 120w @4 and is rated for 2 ohm. Not very cheap but definitely not what I'd call expensive. Could have built speaker passive as I designed but this gave so much more flexibility. Things I could only dream of >20 years ago simply would not pass up doing today.

Jimmy, my speakers are mtmww or mtmmm depending on how you concider it. Cross points at <140 and 2.1k. Reasoning behind why is simple. When a woofer is required for midrange duty and Xmax is exceeded the resulting distortion breaks up vocals quite badly. Releaving the mids of deep bass duties clears the midrange by not forcing a 2k signal to ride on the back of an A note thats pushing Xmax to the limit. Another reason for the cross points is to maintain the critical vocal range to a single driver. There are many other reasons for these choices specific to the design goals and room loading/gain that figure in.

Jimmy, my speakers are mtmww or mtmmm depending on how you concider it. Cross points at <140 and 2.1k. Reasoning behind why is simple. When a woofer is required for midrange duty and Xmax is exceeded the resulting distortion breaks up vocals quite badly. Releaving the mids of deep bass duties clears the midrange by not forcing a 2k signal to ride on the back of an A note thats pushing Xmax to the limit. Another reason for the cross points is to maintain the critical vocal range to a single driver. There are many other reasons for these choices specific to the design goals and room loading/gain that figure in.

I always say this or at least think it.
I never quite put it as well as you.
This is the number one problem with 2-ways, for me at least.

25-32 mm tweeter, then 7 inch mid and 15-18" woofer is pretty standard and should sound great even at pretty loud volume, but wide boxy speakers are not so popular with a lot of people, so they use smaller and/or more woofers, including me, when I had a 3-way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.