adding resistor in series with tweeter in active sytem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
https://www.beyma.com/getpdf.php?pid=TPL-200/H

simulate this, i run it with 3,3ohm series resistor

Since impedance curve is flat, you can "simulate" the consequences same as if a resistor.

I think this thread takes the prize for speculation unanchored in reality. So far, these "what if...." simulations are trivial and I'd say the "analysis" is still trivial enough to do in your head even if we knew what are the Henrys for any of these tweeters.

The real question is how a tweeter responds to damping factor. And nobody has posted an intelligent word on that topic.

B.

Last edited:
I think I've now worked through this enough to understand the implications of adding a series resistor to the tweeter.

Have included some additional plots for current, impedance and power through the tweeter. It seems that if a 4 ohm tweeter is designed to have a relatively flat response at then adding resistance will change the slope, power (sound level) and phase. All in all adding resistance does change the sound of the tweeter. However adding series resistance doesn't appear to cause any catastrophic electrical results.

Interestingly, if the tweeter's native response is downward sloping then adding resistance seems to flatten this. Also adding resistance reduces the phase shift of the voltage going through the tweeter.

Thanks to all the helpful contributors-you inputs were much appreciated.

Attachments

• vifa_current_impedance.pdf
    11.9 KB · Views: 75
  • vifa_power.pdf
    12.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Seems this is an old conversation- BUT
somebody mentioned the AMT tweeter here. I tried a system some years ago with standard hifi woofers 2x8inch and an AMT tweeter.

Then i added an resistor to lower the efficiency of the AMT. when i did similar with the same additional amplifer with less gain the sound was much better. more direct and less behind the curtain.

what did happen?

So you did two attempts to reduce the tweeter level, one with a resistor between the amp and the tweeter and one with a lower gain amp but without the resistor? If so, then the sound levels was the same in both situations?

Anyway, I too tried the tweeter padding with resistor in an active setup but didn't liked that sound compared to the resistorless setup.

Last edited:
Generally, resistor will not provide equal attenuation at all frequencies because it will interact with a frequency dependent tweeter impedance, hence different frequency response of the tweeter. On the other hand, lower gain amplifier will provide equal attenuation at all frequencies. It is no surprise there is audible difference between the two, and no, it is not a "resistor colouring the sound".
However, I am surprised that AMT driver, which has flat impedance, sound different with resistor than with pure lower gain, as @Bassda finds out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.