AD1865N-K dac Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: How do I calculate the compensation capacitor?

Oli said:
I I would like to calculate a suitable compensation capacitor. The data sheet gives confusing information about the choice of compensation capacitor (The formua makes no sense). Is there a formula for choosing an appropriate capacitor at Iout and a compensation capacitor for a given opamp and desired transfer function.

Hi Oli,
As I said the compensation cap can be part of the analog low-pass filter. Just fill in the appropiate crossoverfrequency and type and order of filter in FilterPro.
The minimal value for Ccomp is 100-330pFwith a 3k feedback resistor.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Could 2nd order MFB provide a solution?

Elso,

After dabbling with the idea of discrete I-V conversion I have decided to keep things simple and stick to op-amps

I have just been playing with Filterpro and instead of first order circuit I have been experimenting with 2nd order MFB. This arrangement rather neatly shunts RF to ground via a capacitor before the feedback loop (hence reducing TID). The capacitor in the feedback loop provides a the second pole of the filter and appropriate phase compensation.

My only question is - Is such a second order filter, with input resistors a virtual ground for the current output of the AD1865k?

I am getting there slowly!

See AD797 datasheet

Analogue Devices use the technique mentioned in my previous question in the AD797 data sheet (Audio DAC application).

Does this provide a clue for the formulas I need to get a Bessel filter with a desired -3dB cutoff for this 2nd order filter?

Nobody yet seems to know the answer- perhaps the output impedance of the DAC itself forms part of the filter?

Re: Could 2nd order MFB provide a solution?

Oli said:
Elso,

After dabbling with the idea of discrete I-V conversion I have decided to keep things simple and stick to op-amps

I have just been playing with Filterpro and instead of first order circuit I have been experimenting with 2nd order MFB. This arrangement rather neatly shunts RF to ground via a capacitor before the feedback loop (hence reducing TID). The capacitor in the feedback loop provides a the second pole of the filter and appropriate phase compensation.

My only question is - Is such a second order filter, with input resistors a virtual ground for the current output of the AD1865k?

I am getting there slowly!

No. There will be a varying, frequency dependant impedance.
Best solution is to use a) No analog filter 1 x opa
b) 1st order (c parallel to FB R) 1 x opa c) 3rd order,
2 x opa, 1st opa has single pole as in b) and second opa follows
with additional 2 orders.
If you are running tube stuff, often no filter is fine!

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks Terry!

Thanks Terrry. I am using transistor amplification and will probably go for a first order filter with C parallel to Rfb around the OPA. This currently works on my prototype with no obvious distortion. I just felt a little more could be achieved by shunting RF straight to ground before the OPA. Out of interest, do have a look at the aforementioned Analogue Devices application note. Clearly the maths exist somewhere to perform the required 2nd order filter with no resistors at the input of the OPA- hence a virtual ground exists. This novel circuit includes the RF reducing capacitor.

A possible solution relating to my previous quesions on this thread....

'The use of a capacitor across I-V conversion op-amp input to shunt noise directly to ground and produce a 2nd order response'

I have been busy this week, but I spent some time studying the maths relating to my problem. Eventually, however, I thought of solving the problem empirically using spice simulation. I used WinSpice shareware and downloaded spice models of real op-amps from various manufacturers. The individual behaviour of the op-amp is critical to the choice of component values. In the attached picture I have chosen an OP275 for example purposes only- I will possible use AD8610. The 1.8K resistor is the Thevenin equivalent of the output impedance of my AD1865 DAC.

Attachments

• oli'si-v.jpg
    oli'si-v.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,241
There's more....

Here is the resulting response curve (See attached picture)

What does everyone think of this method?

I am striving for a transient perfect response. What does this look like on such a graph?

(I think... the phase characteristic around the -3dB cutoff frequency will have perfect symmetry like in my example - True or false?)

Attachments

• oli'si-vplot.jpg
    oli'si-vplot.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,142
Check out the reponse curve..

The -3dB cutoff is rather high, but I wish to reduce phase shift at 20kHz.

Note how the phase response looks flatter and overall more linear. This linearity, however is not centred at the -3dB frequency. In addition, phase shift at the -3dB frequency is not 90 degrees.

Which of my plots represents a better transient response?

Attachments

• oli'si-vplot.jpg
    oli'si-vplot.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,041
Built it!

I have just finished building and listening to the later circuit. It certainly sounds better than the internal I-V conversion- more highs, greater depth, transparency and deeper bass. The slight grittiness that existed before has gone!

A word of caution- Initially the DC offset was a large 27mV. This was remedied using DC offset correction as suggested on the Burr Brown datasheet.

The characteristics of the OPA627 are apparent- Almost too hi-fi. The bass is a little overblown. I can live with this sound and it is certainly a better overall choice than the internal converter. I think I will try the AD1865, however, as I have read claims of a more natural sound.

BTW does anyone have the answer to my aforemention question:

What does the phase response look like for a perfect transient response?

Grounding confusion

It has been a while since I wrote in this forum.

It is interesting to read some of my previous correspondance and my misconceptions at the time!

Progress with my AD1865 DAC has been slow but steady.
I am still using OPA627s as I/V conversion- Nothing else seems so transparent.

I wish to do the 'proper thing' when decoupling the supplies of the OPA627s. Currently I am connecting a ceramic capacitor directly between +v and -v. I believe Kui Yung Wang uses this arrangement.

Would it be better to connect a capacitor between +v and ground and another capacitor between -v and ground?

If so, should I decouple using the Right and Left ground pins of the AD1865 (for better separation), rather than the central analogue ground point? If I do use the Right and Left ground pins to decouple noise from the supply lines am I in danger of polluting my I/V converter. The non-inverting input of each opamp is tied to these Right and Left ground pins of the AD1865.

Any thoughts- I am quite confused

:confused: :confused:

Hi Oli,
I am also currently using opa627 as I/V for my AD1864 within my Proceed DAP and alsoare looking intothe best way to decouple them. The Proceed uses a decouple cap between +12 and -12V. I replaced this by two caps between +12 and grnd and -12 and grnd. Because I want to change the grounding within the DAC I run into an article of Analog Devices,which has some interesting comments on both the grounding and decoupling. (I don't have the link here, but the name of the articleis: "An IC Amplifier User's Guide to Decoupling, Grounding and Making Things go Right for aChange'. AsI understand the article correctly it tells that you should decouple the V- in case of opamps that use PNP-transistors as input (negative supllycoupling) and V+ in case of NPN-transistors. (positive supply coupling). The cap should in both situations be as close to the V+ or V- railas possible.

Hope the article provides you some more hints.

Some good grounding ideas!

Calimero,

Thanks for the info. I have just read the data sheet from the Analogue Devices website. Indeed this does suggest decoupling -ve to ground for the PNP topology. It also shows a capacitor connected directly between +ve and -ve and not between +ve and ground. This seems strange- I wonder why Burr Brown, Analogue Devices and other manufacturers suggest +ve to ground in so many of their application notes when a direct +ve to -ve connection appears to be superior?

:cannotbe:

Note the method of separating power ground and signal ground. This should avoid polluting of my opamp's non-inverting input. Just to add to my confusion a special method is suggested for virtual ground type circuits. I am presenting my DAC with a virtual ground using the OPA627 as an I-V converter.

:bawling:

No longer confused

:D :D :D

No longer confused!

The guys at Analogue Devices have clarified the matter.
13.5Mhz refers the mimimum specified operating frequency.

i.e. the DAC will handle frequencies up to this minimum limit.

A rather poor way of describing this parameter if you ask me

:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.