AD1865N-K dac Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Brian for the input.

I got rid of the popups installing Avant Browser, it even sounds an alarm when it has rejected a popup!!! that can be disabled, but in the meanwhile I have it on, it gives me great pleasure!!!

Avant Browser is a %&#%%# of a browser, not going back to IE.

jean-paul
Although they might be very good I think ( assume ) that TDA 1541 is better and it happens that I have some of those too. I am obviously influenced by Elso who said many times that even TDA1543 in non os mode sounds better than AD1865N-K.

You think not correctly. Your virus is guilty in all.

2All

AD1865 is much better than TDA1541 under the objective characteristics . But not it is important. AD1865 is better in the subjective sound characteristics appreciablly.
Open your eyes. You can to read, how TDA are good much and very much. I think, that the people, which write it, never heard others DACs, similar AD1851/1861/1865.
AD1862 is best of all DACs of ADI and better than PCM63. But PCM63 very good DAC also.
Sole advantage of TDA is an opportunity to fasten it direct on I2S.
AD requires the shift register in a case "1x" (without oversampling).
Also try necessarily AD811 or AD812 as I/U-converter (without cap in feedback, differently will be oscillation). Resistor worsens monotony of a scale DAC at small levels, if it is used as I/U ñonverter.

Listen and you will see.

And I can tell only one about such miracle as TDA1543.
Sorry, but place TDA1543 on a dump for a long time.
It is my experience.
Regards
Halyavshick

PS
AD1865N/K is dual, 18bit.
There are is mistake on website ADI.
I contacted with ADI support. It is the answer of them.
This is a mistake on the web-page.
The following versions of the AD1865 exist . They are all stereo DACs.
AD1865N
AD1865N-J
AD1865N-K
AD1865P
AD1865R
AD1865R-J

I had a similar question last month . I have pasted the email thread below :

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
have been checking with the factory on this 10-year old device.
I now have the answer :

Hi Chris,

The AD1865N-K has .002% typical, .0025% max THD+N, but is otherwise the same as the other versions of the AD1865. It is still a stereo part with the same pinout.
Best regards,
David McGaw
Senior Applications Engineer
Digital Audio Group
Analog Devices

Õàëÿâùèê said:
jean-paul

You think not correctly. Your virus is guilty in all.

2All

AD1865 is much better than TDA1541 under the objective characteristics . But not it is important. AD1865 is better in the subjective sound characteristics appreciablly.
Open your eyes. You can to read, how TDA are good much and very much. I think, that the people, which write it, never heard others DACs, similar AD1851/1861/1865.
AD1862 is best of all DACs of ADI and better than PCM63. But PCM63 very good DAC also.
Sole advantage of TDA is an opportunity to fasten it direct on I2S.
AD requires the shift register in a case "1x" (without oversampling).
Also try necessarily AD811 or AD812 as I/U-converter (without cap in feedback, differently will be oscillation). Resistor worsens monotony of a scale DAC at small levels, if it is used as I/U ñonverter.

Listen and you will see.

And I can tell only one about such miracle as TDA1543.
Sorry, but place TDA1543 on a dump for a long time.
It is my experience.
Regards
Halyavshick

PS
AD1865N/K is dual, 18bit.
There are is mistake on website ADI.
I contacted with ADI support. It is the answer of them.

Hi Halyavshick.
I tried PCM56, AD1851, TDA1541AS1, TDA1543, TDA1545A and AD1865N-J, and AD1865N-K. all NON-OS.
So I have experience.
My personal preference is the TDA1543 but Thorsten likes the TDA1541 much more. It is all a matter of taste and probably also equipment: loudspeakers, amp etc. AD1865N-K is second best in rank for me.......

:cool:

Õà?âùèê said:
Hi
.....a good another ;)

If it is interesting, Wadia 23

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

All photos can be seen here
http://purer.myrice.com/Digital/wadia23.htm

Can somebody translate the text?
Very interestingly, with what is used op-amp there?

Regards
Halyavshick

The OP-Amps is Burr-Brown OPA606KP.
I can translate the text which you want to know.
;)

Hi, Marlowe.

Very interestingly there is everything, that is written about PCB from this foto, including local power supply.

But it is especial:

What is algorithm of a digital filtration used by AT&T`s DSP ( ...x oversampling, number of taps...)

How are connected DACs IC, in the differential or in the parallel mode?

...I/U stage used built-in DAC IC op-amp or...?

Thank you
Best regards

Õà?âùèê said:
Hi, Marlowe.

Very interestingly there is everything, that is written about PCB from this foto, including local power supply.

But it is especial:

What is algorithm of a digital filtration used by AT&T`s DSP ( ...x oversampling, number of taps...)

How are connected DACs IC, in the differential or in the parallel mode?

...I/U stage used built-in DAC IC op-amp or...?

Thank you
Best regards

There is no information about Algorithm and I/V stage in the text.

There are four power supplies totally:
1) transport servo,
2) digita output and clock (the small PCB mounting the transport servo PCB),
3) DSP
4) DAC and output stage.

The AD1865 is used in 19 bits decoding in mono.

Sorry guys, I was out in a trip for several days.

Nice pic of Wadia, seems to be the only implementation arround that can be seen.

Non of you with a AD1865 DIY project at hand?

Halyavshick,

Many members of these forum are experienced DIY's and have tryed different DAC's with some very sophisticade I/V implementations not using feed back and have posted information on this forum that you can see.

My question would be why are you sure some of the AD Dac's are better than Philips, say TDA1541A-S1?

Hi
why are you sure some of the AD Dac's are better than Philips, say TDA1541A-S1?
Because I listened 1541 and ADI` s dacs (all no OS, and with the same output, and all variants with the resistor, and with op-amp in I/U stage).
My opinion, 1541 isn`t bad, but some musical details on it cannot be heard. Besides, that 14 caps can be changed for others and to select it is possible very long times, almost all life.:rolleyes:
Though ELSO KWAK has answered correctly
It is all a matter of taste and probably also equipment
I want to note still, that I dont like sound R-2R included by balance or parallel. The single connected is more preferable for me always.

Good luck
Make faster yours new DAC and enjoy, and we shall advise something.

Halyavshick,

I'm realy interested on this 1865 dac and have plans to replace the whole delta sigma board of an Onkyo DX706 which has a very good transport, so if you allow please let me ask a few questions:

What's the chip set you are using with your NONOS AD1865?

Is this a stand alone DAC or is integrated to a CD player?

Íi
I used it as a stand alone, with CS8412 (output 18 bit Right Justified or LSB Justified) and used schematics like this for conversion I2S to parallel output ( broken off tact)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

note
This shematic dont work PCM1702/04.

I/U- AD811
LPF- passive C-L-C
OPA627 as buffer

But it is probable for Onkyo, the shift register is required, depending on the decoder.
And so there are not anything difficult , pure clean power supply is the main task. I like to use the shunt regulator TL431 for digital supply.

Regards

Õàëÿâùèê said:
Íi
I used it as a stand alone, with CS8412 (output 18 bit Right Justified or LSB Justified) and used schematics like this for conversion I2S to parallel output ( broken off tact)

note
This shematic dont work PCM1702/04.

I/U- AD811
LPF- passive C-L-C
OPA627 as buffer

But it is probable for Onkyo, the shift register is required, depending on the decoder.
And so there are not anything difficult , pure clean power supply is the main task. I like to use the shunt regulator TL431 for digital supply.

Regards

I'm not good at digital, less at the design level. the most I've done are OpAmp changes and the implementation of the OPA660 as a I/V for my TDA with the ideas of KYW. You may want to look at that thread from recent times.

So I'm seaching all the help I can have for this project since I dont know of shift registers etc.

I'm looking for a simple and good NONOS design based on the AD1865 which I already have. So I have to buy the rest staring with the decoder. So need to know which decoder will be best for the DAC and CD player interface.

In the case of my Onkyo DX706 dac board the the data comes in three wires LRCK, DATA and BCLK and directly feeds an NPC SM5813AP digital filter (receiver?) and from there to de SM5861AP dac's.

Any suggestions?

Hi
apassgear
At first it is necessary to learn a format, in which the data from the decoder to the digital filter are transferred.
If there is used the decoder from Sony , it is probable the data are transferred in a format Right justified/16 bit/48 bit word.
What to determine it is exact, it is necessary to get datasheet for NPC SM5813. It is possible here, but on inquiry by e-mail.
http://www.npc.co.jp/en/product/discontinued.html
Digital filters from NCP rather quite good, may be, to desire to you at first to try AD1865 with it ? It is very simple what to try.

Regards
Halyavshick

Õàëÿâùèê said:

Digital filters from NCP rather quite good, may be, to desire to you at first to try AD1865 with it ? It is very simple what to try.

Jean Paul and Halyavshick (mmm... dificult to wright, I'll call you Haly in the future if you don't mind).

Thanks for the link, I'll "study" the data sheet and see what I can learn from it.

That is an excellent idea to try a mariage between SM5813 and AD1865. Hope is possible.

I'll be back tomorrow, I guess with some questions....

Did check both data sheets, SM5813AP digital filter and AD1865 dac and every thing seems to fit nicely.

Moreover, on the AD data sheet the first application example correspond to the use with the SM5813 digital filter and includes the interconnection schematic between both chips!!! Of course at 18 bit.

Don't know If I have do something with the original clock mounted on the PCB though, it runs at 16.934 MHz according to the shematic. Also the clock has connection to both the digital filter and to the SM5861 dac's.

On the schematic shown on the AD data sheet shows connection from the DF pins BCKO and WCKO to both channels of the DAC and no connection to the clock input on the DF CLK pin. I presume that the DF has an internal clock that can be bypassed when an outside clock is connected to the CLK pin. Is this correct?

The other issue concerns the output of the DAC that has and internal I/V OpAmp with the Feedback resistor for a voltage output from the chip. And the alternative is a current output with +-1 mA full scale.

My question would be which is the best alternative, to use the internal I/V or set up an outboard I/V using the current output?

Also, if I use the internal I/V, would I need a buffer?

Later will show some pics of the Onkyo guts which is built like a tank (don't do them any more like this).

:scratch:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.