• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Active Crossover Board Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Two questions

Great board, but I was wondering about a couple of things:
  • What high-accuracy caps do you suggest I use for the freq-setting components? I'm wondering about which caps (and from which reseller) will fit into that space.
  • I tried the spreadsheet, and it gives me LP and HP only for q of 0.5 or greater. What if I need lower Q? Optimised active filters sometimes have funny Q requirements
Thanks for a great design.

High-accuracy caps

Some other options I found were
  • Panasonic PPS film caps, from their ECHS series, on Digikey. 2% tolerance. Digikey part number for the 100nF cap is PS1H104G-ND. Priced $1.95 in single pieces. Unfortunately you'll need 14.5x6mm board area for each cap, and 10mm lead pitch.
  • Panasonic P series polypropylene caps, Digikey part number P3104-ND for the 100nF, 2% tolerance, $0.86 in single pieces. But 17.5x7mm board real estate needed.
  • Panasonic ECQ-P(Z) series polyprop film caps, Digikey part number P3925-ND for the 100nF value, 2% tolerance, $0.82 in single pieces, but 17x7.5mm board area needed, 7.5mm lead pitch.

Which of these will fit?

So, am a bit confused about what caps to look for. :(

Hi,
cascade a pair of Butterworth (Q=1/sqrt(2)) and the output is Q=0.5 (Bessel) just right for 4pole Linkwitz Reilly.

Cascade a pair of Q=0.5412 (gain =1.1523) and Q=1.3065 (gain =2.2346) gives Q=0.7071 (Butterworth and overall gain of 2.575, +8.2db)

The resulting Qt=Q1*Q2....*Qn

That's the beauty of this topology, ECV S&K, gain and Q can be varied without changing F, they are independant.
Unity gain filtering involves a lot of maths and unmatched component values that require absolute accuracy rather than just matching but at a fixed gain cf +8.2db of the ECV Butterworth.

Hi,
buy 100s of 5% and select MATCHING values for each frequency. Try to better 1% for caps and better than 0.3% for resistors.
Polyester are rarely available in 1%.
1% polystyrene used to be readily available, but more difficult now.
1% or 2% polypropylene are available at more cost and in the larger values in bigger packages.
1% Mica are available in smaller values but have the wrong pin pitch.

No easy answer.

BTW,
single pole fiters can get away with 5%, 10% is rubbish,
as the filter steepness increases the required accuracy increases to match.
for 2pole you may get away with 2% and for 4pole 1% but I would go for closer matching, absolute accuracy is not required for frequency, but it is needed for gain (just as well DMMs are more acurate on DC voltage, pity about the resistance accuracy)

Found a cap -- almost

This is BC Components metallised polyprop filter caps, 416 series. 2% tolerance. The 100nF has footprint of 6x 7.2mm, lead pitch 5mm. Digikey part number BC2054-ND. Sold for $0.63 each.

This one is a shade shorter in length and half a millimetre wider in fatness, than what the board seems to allow. Maybe it'll do, maybe it won't.

What do the rest of you use?

AndrewT said:
Polyester are rarely available in 1%.
1% polystyrene used to be readily available, but more difficult now.
1% or 2% polypropylene are available at more cost and in the larger values in bigger packages.
1% Mica are available in smaller values but have the wrong pin pitch.
I guess Bob and Jens had some cap in mind when they did their designing? What were they planning to use? And I don't remember this factor being discussed in the threads either. Is it only me who's struggling to find good caps? Some people have posted photos of populated XO boards, I wonder what they used.

AndrewT said:
an old gripe of mine.
I did not see any value in flogging it yet again, but I joined this one very (too) late to have any influence.
It's a relief that Jens has allowed the posting of his Eagle files on the thread; one can try making more space for the caps if at all there is any space to play with. Getting a DSPTH board made at this end of the world is easy; I can get them done quite inexpensively.

If you can live with only 10 nf, Wima FKP2 1% will fit.

I have also used Panasonic ECQ series 2% polyprops - they are a bit big at 100 nf but if you can live with the lead length of them standing above (or below) the board they sound nice.

Otherwise I pull out the big bag of 5-10% caps and my meter and pick matching caps.

The cap footprint was a tradeoff between available board space and the functions available on the board. One of the design constraints was to make the board fit the free version of Eagle's 80 x 100 mm footprint. I would have preferred two all pass sections, but I cannot cope with SMDs...

BobEllis said:
If you can live with only 10 nf, Wima FKP2 1% will fit.
Who sells these?

I have also used Panasonic ECQ series 2% polyprops - they are a bit big at 100 nf...
A bit big??? They are huge by the standards of this board. As per my Digikey data sheet, they're 17mm long, as against this board's limit of 7 or 7.5mm. :(
...if you can live with the lead length of them standing above (or below) the board they sound nice.
You mean let them float so high that they are above other components? Okay... that's a thought. Options increase.

Otherwise I pull out the big bag of 5-10% caps and my meter and pick matching caps.
Yes, that'd do too, I guess. I can just use ordinary polyester caps I guess.

Any pointers about which types of caps "sound" better?

I would have preferred two all pass sections, but I cannot cope with SMDs...
Oh absolutely. I'd agree on that SMD front totally. Thank God you haven't gone SMD, though Jens seems quite comfortable with the idea.

And about Q less than 0.5, do I just cascade stages as AndrewT was suggesting?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.