• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Active Crossover Board Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Boards have arrived

The PSU kits are kitted except boards and heat sinks (due to arrive today) I will start packing orders and expect to start shipping by Friday.

I suffered a hard drive crash yesterday. I'm glad PayPal will give me packing lists, since my backups were corrupted. All PayPal orders are fine.

If you did NOT with PayPal, please drop me a note telling me what you ordered

I think I have the few who sent checks, but I want to be sure.

well, im really new in electornics, im building some amps, and will build some speakers soon, will be great to use Active Filters. i need an kit for each speaker? my system will have 2 and 3 way systems.

with one PSU How many boards i can use?

have you any soft start boards to sale?

Regards.

Each board is a single channel that can be either two way or bandpass.

A two way stereo setup would require two boards.

A three way stereo system would require four boards.

If you plan a 2.1 system with two way mains and a sub, it counts as a three way system.

Add another board if you plan to use a high pass filter on the sub.

A power supply can deliver 500 mA. This is enough to power 4-6 filter boards depending on features used. Each filter board has up to 9 opamps that typically draw 10 mA each at idle. They probably won't draw much more current into typical loads, but if you try to drive a very low impedance load, expect to see a bit more current drawn.

I had a soft start board ready for prototyping but wasn't smart enough to back it up before my hard drive crashed. I'm working on it again. Hopefully it will be ready to go soon.

ok, for an Home Theater with

two 3 Ways Front Speakers
one 2 Ways center channel
two 2 Ways Rear Channels
one Subwoofer.

I will need 9 boards, right? so i can use 9 boards and 2 PSU, that will be enough, right?

Im interested in the SoftStart too, but can start with this boards first :)

i relly need each kit with FULL COMPONENTS is not easy to find good and legit components in Argentina.

Sam,

OK, for an Home Theater with

two 3 Ways Front Speakers - 4 filter boards
one 2 Ways center channel - 1 filter board
two 2 Ways Rear Channels - 2 filter boards
one Subwoofer. 0, 1, 2 or 3 filter boards

The number of subwoofer boards depends on how you are handling the bass management and whether the sub needs EQ, High pass or LT. The EQ and LT sections are independent - you can patch them into the system anywhere. For example you can use the midrange board's Linkwitz transform for your sub. If that is all you need for the sub, you wouldn't need to use a separate board for it.

If you use your HT processor's subwoofer crossover and your sub does not need a rumble filter, then you don't need any AF4 boards for the sub.

If you use your HT processor's subwoofer crossover and your sub does needs a rumble filter, then you need 1 AF4 board for it.

If you do not use your HT processor's subwoofer crossover (bass management set to send all bass/LFE to the mains) and your sub does not need a rumble filter, then you need 2 AF4 boards. These would perform high pass to the mains and low pass to the sub.

If you do not use your HT processor's subwoofer crossover (bass management set to send all bass/LFE to the mains) and your sub does needs a rumble filter, then you need 3 AF4 boards for it. Two would perform high pass to the mains and low pass/mixing to the sub. The third would provide the high pass.

COMPLETE kits for the crossover are difficult because everyone's needs are different. That's why we designed so much flexibility into it. I can provide the electrolytic and film bypass caps. These are available through my website. Gengis may have some OPA2134s left over. With some thought you might be able to use the same value cap for all of your filter sections and take advantage of quantity pricing. Just keep the resistances reasonable. Some of the major distributors like Digikey and Mouser might be willing to ship to you.

Donoman -

Perhaps you could make the subsonic filter out of an unused EQ or high pass section (say you used 2nd order high pass for the mains there would be an unused high pass section on the board), but it would require some modification to the board. A two way plus sub is a three way system.

This board is set up to be a bandpass (what a sub with subsonic filter uses) or high and low pass filters. A two way plus sub with rumble filter requires two bandpass sections (sub & Woofer) plus a high pass section. This requires three boards. For stereo with a single sub, you could mix the stereo signals from the buffered output and feed to a single board for subwoofer bandpass.

Hi Bob,
I have finished my 2way crossover and it tested great on an Audio Presicion analyzer but I have found a small problem.When powering up slowly with a variac one or both rails on the regulators fail to start .This has not happened yet when power ing without the variac.
Since the output is direct coupled to my midrange amp I am conscerned that if one rail does not come on then a large DC offset may occur and put the driver at risk.
Have you expierienced this problem?Will this only happen when power is soft started.?
I used the LM4040 ,ommited the pots and used 2k for R11 and R13.every thing else is as in the schematic dated 06-04-2006.

Thanks for your time.
Fred
PS.I will probably want to purchase more boards in the next group buy.

I haven't had a fail to start when powered straight from the line unless the output was shorted. I got good consistent starts to 900 mA.

I didn't really have any significant instance of not starting when using the variac, although once I verified that the circuit worked I used the variac to set AC input voltage to the PSU and just switched it on.

Come to think of it, I did have an issue with the higher voltage version not starting when bringing it up slowly. Simply turning it on it fires right up.

I suggest verifying reliable starting with your crossovers before connecting your amps. I always use a large value cap (25+ uf) to protect the tweeter, anyway.

I will order AF4 boards this Friday. Orders have just been slowly trickling in, so I don't think I will order too many extras.

If you want AF4 boards, get your order in by Friday or at least let me know.

EDIT: I only have 6 PSU2.2 boards left after filling existing orders. These are also available with the parts kit.

Active Filter Four PCB
Item #AF4 $38.50 USD
PSU 2.2 Kit
Item #PSU $56.00 USD

its what i have in queue now, btw, please explain me about the
4 pieces 470 uF/25V Panasonic FC capacitors
10 Pieces 100 nF/63V Epcos Polyester Film capacitor
25 pieces BC546C
25 pieces BC556C

i mean, i need to purchase that stuff too? i want to order as much as i can, cos here in Argentina is not easy to get electronic devis at chep price.

if these are part of the boards i will purchase it :)

Hi Sam,

The PSU kits are complete with all parts, you don't need to buy anything for them except mounting hardware.

The 470 uF Panasonic caps are used on the AF4 boards for supply decoupling. You might be able to do without them, but I offer them since I buy so many for the PSU kits. There are spots for two per board.

The 100 nf caps are used for local opamp decoupling. This is absolutely required. Of course you can use any 2.5 x 7.5 mm cap with 5 mm lead spacing that you want.

The BC546C and BC 556C are leftovers from the first power supply buy. I needed 500, but at the time I needed to order parts these were only available in lots of 10,000 each. I still have a little over 4,000. I don't see using that many any time soon so I offer them for sale. They are rather low noise, high hfe (420-800) TO-92 devices. They could be used for input differentials and a hose of other places.

Your order is about average for this time around. Board pricing is based on a quantity that has not been reached, so you are getting a discount there. Please contact me off line to arrange shipping before placing your order. Argentina does not accept USPS Global Priority Mail, so it looks like your shipping via airmail will cost a little more.

I'll buy enough boards so that I will reach the break even point when/if the remainder get sold. If they don't sell, I'll just have to build more active speakers. :clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.