Active balanced line output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still reluctant to open a book, hey?

Had a second look at your circuit and it appears to have been drawn wrongly: positive and negative opamp inputs are interchanged

Thank you analog_sa,for spotting the mistake in the schematics! This is exactly why novices like me need this forum & people like you to correct & guide people like us! As for your perceived reluctance on my part to refer to technical books before I posted this thread, I did go through a few articles before I started this thread.The reason being, that almost all the articles dealt with only "differential circuits" & if at all only a very few with " active balanced line outputs"! I,usually,do find what I want by ploughing through the 'net,but perhaps I may have not searched properly this time.
If everyone can & should look for (all) the information themselves,regardless how trivial it may look to experts like you,then this forum & many like this won't & need not exist as they won't serve any purpose what so ever!(That's what book & schools are for as some might even argue!)

Most importantly.IMHO this forum provides an important platform for exchange of ideas,dissent & not in the least to the prolification of knowledge!

Lazy I am not,as you may have noticed, I've contributed to more than 100 posts & started 8 threads so far.I do not scrounge information from others & do not post without making my own effort first.I've also built many projects, with some excellent ideas & help from many in this forum.

I would therefore earnestly ask everyone to contribute & help if & when ever you can & feel you have something to contribute constructively but urge anyone from making unwarranted comments & remarks even if a post deemed stupid,silly or outright idiotic!

Thanks.

Ignorance is the perrennial enemy of mankind-
Indifference is the perpetual curse of humanity!

Attachments

• Floor pre -TOP1.jpg
    Floor pre -TOP1.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 221
  • Battery PSU-2.jpg
    Battery PSU-2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I will add one comment.
Notice the proliferation of 5k1

Now a question: would changing all the resistors to 10k make any difference?
Now change all the resistors to 100r. Does that change make any difference?

Finally, are all the 5k1 the same measured value?

AndrewT:

Yes,yes, here are some answers for you.....
1.Changing all the R values to 10k would not change much other than give you an increase in input impedance ie:3.3kohm roughly.

2.Changing to 100R then is not a good idea,for obvious reasons!

3.The choice of 5k1 res.are well within the chosen IC's current/biasing requirements,but not measured values! but should be closely matched!....how am I doing then?

Q1:I notice that the o/p caps are reversed...is this correct?

Q2:Would it be better to use bipolar caps instead on the outputs?

Q3: Will I then be able to drive (both) an unbalanced o/p with this at the same time?

Last edited:
doing OK.
the 5k1 need to be selected to suit what they do.
Some control the gain affecting signal level. These can vary either side of nominal value, maybe as far as +-5%.
Some are intrinsic to rejecting interference. These must be <0.1% to achieve worthwhile rejection

Walt J. does a nice diagram comparing the transmit and receive resistor/impedance values arranged in a bridge to show why balance across and round the bridge must be accurate to remove the common mode interference.

Q1:I notice that the o/p caps are reversed...is this correct?

Q2:Would it be better to use bipolar caps (47uFs) instead on the outputs?

Q3: Will I then be able to drive (both) an unbalanced o/p with this at the same time?[/QUOTE]

Thank you...very enlightning stuff indeed!
I will now first try this on a breadboard & will post you the results,but before I rush & buy the wrong parts...just wanted to know if you'd please give me some advice on the above questions too? Couldn't find the answers anywhere!

I'll be immersing myself into Jung's articles tonight....you're indeed a very hard taskmaster lol!...(you must be an excellent teacher,but I hope not one..hee..hee)

Last edited:
doing OK.
the 5k1 need to be selected to suit what they do.
Some control the gain affecting signal level. These can vary either side of nominal value, maybe as far as +-5%.
Some are intrinsic to rejecting interference. These must be <0.1% to achieve worthwhile rejection

Walt J. does a nice diagram comparing the transmit and receive resistor/impedance values arranged in a bridge to show why balance across and round the bridge must be accurate to remove the common mode interference.
there are no resistors or resistor ratios in that Neve circuit that require that level of accuracy or matching.
regards

there are no resistors or resistor ratios in that Neve circuit that require that level of accuracy or matching.
regards

After reading a few articles & test results by others,I now realize that there is an undeniable discrepency between circuit design & real life results due to so many variables involved.However,compromises aside it does help to adhere close to the theoritical calculations as possible which would surely help one to achieve more than the minimum 40dB CMRR!

Q:What do you think will be the result of this circuit if I chose the
10k resistors arbitrarily against choosing closely matched ones?

Is it not worth at all? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Walt J. does a nice diagram comparing the transmit and receive resistor/impedance values arranged in a bridge to show why balance across and round the bridge must be accurate to remove the common mode interference.[/QUOTE]

AndrewT,I can't find the article by W.Jung you've mentioned.Could you kindly give me link please?

Thanks

After reading a few articles & test results by others,I now realize that there is an undeniable discrepency between circuit design & real life results due to so many variables involved.However,compromises aside it does help to adhere close to the theoritical calculations as possible which would surely help one to achieve more than the minimum 40dB CMRR!
Andrew has lured you onto the wrong path. The way the two diff. amps are connected to single ended source converts one to a noninverting and one to an inverting buffer. Common mode suppression is no issue here.
The ouput impedances don't need to be matched too, because they are low in value compared to the expected high impedance inputs of the supposingly connected line receivers.
regards

Still reluctant to open a book, hey?

Had a second look at your circuit and it appears to have been drawn wrongly: positive and negative opamp inputs are interchanged.

Have a third look.

The circuit is entirely accurate. Each half is a differential in - single ended out amplifier. The reason that the inputs are swapped around is so that you get one differential amp with an inverted output and one differential amp with a non-inverted output from the original single ended (unbalanced) input.

There doesn't appear to be any advantage to close tolerance resistors as these would only improve the common mode rejection ratio (more reading..) of each individual differential amplifier. The input is a single ended (a.k.a. unbalanced) source and the noise would be predominantly differential mode, so high CMRR would be wasted.

http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Op_Amps_in_Line_Driver_and_Receiver_Circuits_P2.pdf
Juergen look at fig8. R* and the same advice in Kester's paper fig8.59.
yes thats the circuit in question. Although the output impedances should be equal, they don't need to be exactly equal i.e. matched.
For example it would require a source impedance mismatch of say 10R to imbalance a perfect line receiver with inbuilt 10k resistors to 0.1%.
The usual tolerance of 1% is just fine for the 120R resistors. Even the 5% carbon films should do in most cases.
regards

Jung is looking for CMRR of 80-100dB. In this case accurate matching is necessary, but difficult to achieve.

Is such a good CMRR really necessary in all circumstances? Only if the unwanted common-mode signal is likely to be equal in magnitude to the wanted differential signal. If the cable run is not too long, the cable is well constructed, and the electromagnetic environment is not too severe (e.g. no hum loops, and we are not recording in a power station or electric train!) then a lower CMRR should be OK. If we are simply trying to do a bit better than a normal unbalanced cable then CMRR of 20-30dB should be fine. The circuit achieves this, provided the right pairs of resistors are matched to within 1%.

Just because it is not perfect does not mean it is useless!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't interpret Jung as that. I read it as needing good matching to maintain the advantage of the balanced circuit's rejection.

Rane seems to say the same. I used that as corroboration (sifting the wheat from the chaff).

Andrew, you are correct that the overall matching must be maintained. The reason both Jung and Rane say that because it is a common engineering issue, EVERYBODY says that.
But if the 10k resistors are matched at 0.1% that's a 10 ohms tolerance. If you match the 120 ohms at 1% that's a tolerance of 1.2 ohms. Tolerances add vectorially. It's no use to try to match the 120 ohms to better than 1%, you're still no better than 0.1% overall.
It's not so much a matter of 'interpreting Jung' but common engineering sense.

jd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.