Acoustic wave canon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep, every year it needs to be revived.:D

I was hoping someone would use a decent driver instead of these 4" "woofers" ( not quite what I'd call a woofer ).

With all the great long travel super woofers out there, I thought there would be some interest in making a 18 foot long tube, tuned to 14hz or so to add some really good bottom to a home theatre system. I've got the room in my attic above my great room to put about an 18 footer and I already have a return air grill in one end that I used for my IB setup with 4-15" woofers in it. I could go to the other end and put another grill and then install the tube up in the attic and put a 90 degree elbow on each end that would seal up to my openings.:eek:

14' WC? ok, here it is, with the 3015lf... in the same size box vs a TH at 10mm excursion. (I used 14, instead of 18', as it was an apples for apples comparison at 450l)

I'd say... time for it to rest for another year.

I've also played extensively with compound horn sims (WC with horns on each side, not just a pipe) and there's no magic there either.... nothing that beats either FLH or TH.

But thanks David for the CH option in hornresp -- it's been fun !!

Attachments

• wcvsth.jpg
    wcvsth.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 795
jbell said:
14' WC? ok, here it is, with the 3015lf... in the same size box vs a TH at 10mm excursion. (I used 14, instead of 18', as it was an apples for apples comparison at 450l)

Hey Jim, you didn't post the input screen for that graph. Did you follow the guidelines in post #201 for an ~ideal canon? I didn't know Hornresp could show a summed response for two sources physically 1/2WL apart(squared "U" or |____|).

thanks, I had a similar issue and i found the SVS line of subwoofers to suffice! I bought one with cheap price, i think most of them come with cheap price

We could explain the theory to you, but the big question here is:

>>> Why? <<<

If you want a tubular subwoofer with a lot of output, try the SVS line of subwoofers.

SVSound - Home

Well-known in the Home Theater market for providing the best bass for the best price.

I'll admit that I don't know the theory behind the Wave Cannon but I do know that it takes a lot of equalization for it to give decent output. This means operating the driver closer to its maximum tolerances than usual.

The SVS subs, on the other hand, require no EQ and use no artificial bass boost, but still produce large amounts of earthmoving bass. They also are good at integrating, and they are known to be very "musical" as far as subs in their class are concerned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.