Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sure, I only want to finish and measure it first. Such a big waveguide is no small endeavour, and I want to be sure it's fine.

- And I mean it's really big. This is with an ATH280EX:

55-1.jpg
55-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BTW, I also assembled the new EXAR 400 and failed badly this time. I first glued together the petals to make the two halves of the horn, and even though everything seemed fine during the assembly, I found out at the end that they don't fit at all to each other - they were just twisted too much.

So, petal by petal, as shown here, is really the best procedure, as it doesn't allow the inaccuracies to add up. It's not a big problem to handle all the small imperfections separately with a suitable glue. I will update the kit so it includes the central jig for this. It simplifies the whole process a great deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can make a purely round version as well, that's the least problem. The real problem is that seldom the printed parts will be so accurate that they form a perfectly round horn without the seams apparent. That was the idea behind the segmented shape in the first place - make the seams intentionally sharp so the dimensional imperfections don't show up so obviously. I can make a round version, but I had to warn you. It depends on what you expect.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
First quick measurements of EXAR 550. The angles can be roughly 0/10/20/30 but not exactly.

HF1440 and ROSSO-65CDN-T

hf1440.png
rosso.png

Maybe for the HF1440 it could be shorter. Hmm, still to be surprised.
Both should do 500 Hz crossover with ease. I don't have a DSP at hand now but both will be very clean after EQ to flat between 500-10k.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I will measure the electrical impedances, free air and with the horn, if there's some kind of hint. This must be possible to design in advance, it's just that I'm still hesitant to dive deeper. For me, this means still to learn so much of the theory...

HF1440 has quite an atypical main resonance for a compression driver (not a lot damped), that's well known.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Last edited:
No, I still haven't found anything suspicious (see the raw ND3T below). But in my workroom I have only about 4 ms reflection-free time, so that's still quite limited. I was just impatient to see the overall frequency response. Going to measure also some of the smaller waveguides today.

1711961847930.png
nd3t.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users