Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

4-slot, 1.4" throat, compression ratio ~1:5, seems pretty ordinary :)
I think no expansion is the best expansion here. It means that the input area of each channel equals its output area, and that any horn with a smootly rising expansion (starting at zero) should be a good match. Of course that for a flat output wavefront the input/output volume velocities need to be the same for all the channels, but that's not difficult, I already have an implementation for that in the code.

1714058351708.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
looks good with the beziers, but please consider keeping all channels exactly the same length by putting the middle ones more forward, this will help greatly with matching the channels.
They are already exactly the same length as shown. This is indicated by the black bars below the phase plug drawing.
- This is still just a quick and random try, no optimization loop yet.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a problem. I'm not sure about the suggested wave direction either - are the air particles actually pushed in that (red) direction? I don't think so, I thought about this and concluded that the radial direction is the more natural one, but of course I may be wrong. Will be interesting to see the sims, this can be easily tried out.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've tried something very similar. It doesn't seem to work so well in practice and my explanation was that it magnifies all the deviations from wavefront coherency to a much larger area, making it simply worse. For this to work as intended, you would probably need a perfect driver.

There was some success (not mine) with BMS 4550, but that's still a small driver:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/attachments/bms4550_4vaneplug-png.1004919/
Make it bigger and the problems grow. @aragorus probably made the biggest effort testing these things.

There may be some room for improvement in phase plugs though. We'll see.

Last edited:
Once again, this is the area progression (the bottom curve) needed to have a straight-wall slot:

1714286657105.png

For the other (straight) slots it will be different. How is even possible to equalize the impedances of all of them? I'm really starting to think that the straight channels are flawed design from the start.

Reactions: 1 users