Acoustat Answer Man is here

One of the interface transformers for my Spectra 22's has burnt itself out. Where can I get a replacement or have it (the interface) repaired.

What are the symptoms of the failure? What have you done to pin-point the trouble to the transformer? Or are you using the term 'transformer' to refer to the entire black-box interface unit? There's a lot more going on inside the interface than just the audio step-up transformers.

The audio transformers in the Spectra series are very rugged, and although failure is certainly possible, so far I have seen virtually no reports of their failure.

Repair is available from Roy Esposito in Florida at soundslikenew@prodigy.net.

I am not aware of any new-old-stock sources for the audio transformer, but it's possible Roy has had some new ones made. But like I said, your transformer(s) may be fine.

Without warning the speaker stopped producing sound.

I removed the interface and examined it. The transformer closest to the large circuit board is partially melted and reduced to being a dry crumbly mess. The wires from it have melted and fused. If you touch the fused portions of the transformer you get a handful of dust.

Here's the best of several shots I took. You can easily see the crusted portion of the transformer. The wires that attach to the other side of the PCB are melted and blackened.

http://s615.photobucket.com/user/JoeESP9/media/P6270532_zps7ahqgpiv.jpg.html

Okay, you've convinced me you have a bad transformer! I've never seen a Spectra transformer do that. Your best bet would be to contact Roy Esposito as mentioned in my previous post.

Just curious...was the speaker exposed to very high audio power levels?

Andy just performed a tone sweep with LMS and a pink noise test 3rd octave analyzer. Found the rt. channel had severe roll off at 6k. 35db down 20k.
Left panel was good. What do you suspect is happening?
My, Best,
Andrew Sterling

Unless it's something like a bad solder joint, or loss of contact of the HF slider resistor, I would suspect a bad HF transformer, or bad HV coupling capacitor(s), or bad capacitors in the HF transformer input network.

After eliminating mechanical issues, check the capacitors first. The HF transformer rarely fails, but of course it's possible.

Did this just occur, and was there a system "calamity" that started the issue?

Okay, you've convinced me you have a bad transformer! I've never seen a Spectra transformer do that. Your best bet would be to contact Roy Esposito as mentioned in my previous post.

Just curious...was the speaker exposed to very high audio power levels?

Thank you for the response. I was using a Crown XLS-402 (300WPC). I sit roughly 8' away and rarely go above 85dB. I'll be getting in touch with Mr. Esposito.

You probably had already seen it, but if you missed it, here is a thread showing off-axis measurements for the Spectra 11/1100.
It definitely pays to have them oriented Left/Right correctly.
Notice also that it is important to listen on the central axis(height-wise) of the panel for smoothest midrange response.
When I had a pair on loan, I had to tip the speakers slight down to aim the best listening axis to my lowish listening chair.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...eviews-includes-measurements.html#post4077074

Although the panel frame length is the same for the two models, the overall height of the Spectra 1100 is indeed shorter than the Spectra 11: 67.5" versus 72". This was done to lower the vertical sweet-spot, since some people observe that with the Spectra 11 it is a bit high for a typical seated position.

The width and depth is also different for the two speakers: Spectra 11 is 15" wide; Spectra 1100 is 16" wide. Spectra 11 is 14" deep, and the Spectra 1100 is 16.75" deep. If I remember correctly, despite the wider/deeper size of the 1100's woofer cabinet, it is slightly smaller in volume than the 11's cabinet. But it is really the much better woofer in the 1100 that makes all the difference.

Question about ESL cables

I am driving my ESL panels with the servo amps located some 20' away. Currently I am using three individual teflon-jacketed wires to carry the signals. This is of course untidy and not a pretty sight. But I was concerned about using a single cable with three conductors as what with the high voltages and the proximity, there may be capacitance issues or other problems.

So I have been looking for a cable where the conductors are well spaced from each other, like a computer ribbon cable but with insulators in between, not more conductors.

I looked under flat cables for elevators, medical cables (like the ones ECG suckers get attached to) etc., but had no luck -- in all these instances the wires were too close together (some of the elevator cables were better spaced but then they also had steel reinfocements in between, defeating the purpose -- well my purpose).

Does such a thing exist? Say a 1" wide cable with two conductors at the edges and one in the middle? There must be a need for something like that in some industry!

Much appreciated.

ESL wires

Wow, that's not really safe, you do know that? You don't have kids or pets?

No pets, only college age kids. Plus I only turn them on for listening then unplugged. Frankly I am not sure tube amps, at floor level, can be all that that much safe either. What if a drunken guest pours a drink there or a dog uses it for bathroom?

But there must be a type of wire I can use that is completely safe. The current needs of ESLs are tiny. So it needs to be less conductor, more insulation.