ackoDAC based on ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is absolutely great project guys!
I am glad to see some xformer output lovers. Here is what I am using at the output of AK4396 from Behringer DCX2496. Xformers are Lundahl 1674. Just getting ready to manufacture boards. It works and sounds perfect. It could be used as output for any other voltage out DAC.

Attachments

• DAC, Lundahl, Buffer.pdf
    83.3 KB · Views: 361
acko, is your mailbox full or something mate? havent heard from you since last week

Guys,
I had a pretty busy weekend and was not able to respond to your mail or keep up with all the postings. Also had urgent matters to deal with at work today. When I get the chance tomorrow I will continue with this project and respond to your queries.
Thank you for your patience.

Regards, Acko

Hello guys.

I'm still very interested in building this DAC. I just wanted to know :

For my planned use (PC->USB->DAC->XLR) I need at least :

- One DAC board.
- One set of 6 regs.
- One Dual PSU.
- One Bipolar PSU.
- One IV XLR module.

Am I correct ?

I also wonder if you plan to sell all the boards as kits, to save money (and do more DIY =D).

Thank you, and sorry for my awful english...

ermm not quite, you have been to the site right? all of them except for the MCU which is essential (which you havent included) will be available as kits. some as only PCB and you must buy the parts yourself. you also do not absolutely need to get all 6 regs (though for best results it is recommended). you could get away with 1 x dual reg (AKR3312), 1 x 1v2 reg (AKR312) and one 3v3 reg ( also AKR312). so 3 regs, one of which being a dual, so 4 regulators on 3 devices. you will also need to organize a USB input, perhaps talk to Jkeny about this for hirez usb. perhaps you would like to cost out the BOM and see how much money you save ;) the PSU and I/V BOMs and kits will be available soon, but the MCU is not available as a kit as it is developed by the 3rd party.

hope that helps

I've rationalised the pricing of the USB-I2S front-end to €120 (I'm in the Eurozone :)) - $161 at today's exchange rate

This is the same as the modded Hiface (http://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/) but without the boxing or SPDIF output. It plugs into the digital input of the AckoDac feeding it I2S signals which is a lower jitter & more direct digital communication method than SPDIF.

It will have PS connectors that can be connected to the supplies of choice; on-board 3.3V regs, batteries or external PS. No power is drawn from the USB cable so no reliance on variable quality of computer PS & therefore no need for so called "audiophile" USB cable - a reasonable standard USB cable will be as good as an expensive one.

I should also say that it is a 24/192 asynchronous USB transport using low jitter clocks with clean power supply (my mods) so perfectly matched to the Sabre DAC & should result in the best computer audio available today.

This will be available shortly after the first shipment of the AckoDacs

Last edited:
all of them except for the MCU which is essential (which you havent included) will be available as kits. some as only PCB and you must buy the parts yourself. you also do not absolutely need to get all 6 regs (though for best results it is recommended). you could get away with 1 x dual reg (AKR3312), 1 x 1v2 reg (AKR312) and one 3v3 reg ( also AKR312). so 3 regs, one of which being a dual, so 4 regulators on 3 devices. you will also need to organize a USB input, perhaps talk to Jkeny about this for hirez usb

Yes it helps a lot, thanks. I only wonder, what will be the exact purprose of the MCU unit ?

This is the same as the modded Hiface (Home (Hiface USB Transport Modifications)) but without the boxing or SPDIF output. It plugs into the digital input of the AckoDac feeding it I2S signals which is a lower jitter & more direct digital communication method than SPDIF.

I should also say that it is a 24/192 asynchronous USB transport using low jitter clocks with clean power supply (my mods) so perfectly matched to the Sabre DAC & should result in the best computer audio available today.

That's exactly what I was looking for, a bit-perfect async USB input that supports 24/192 ! The Hiface has such a good reputation I think this unit will perfectly do its job.

Yes it helps a lot, thanks. I only wonder, what will be the exact purprose of the MCU unit ?
The MCU is needed to control the settings of the DAC - SPDIF. I2S, DSD, etc inputs & lots of control that you have over other settings

That's exactly what I was looking for, a bit-perfect async USB input that supports 24/192 ! The Hiface has such a good reputation I think this unit will perfectly do its job.
This is a modified Hiface & even better than the standard Hiface by a large margin - see here for a comparison: Review: Jkeny’s modified Hiface - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

DAC Boards

Hi All,

Boards for this DAC project have started trickling in. Got a stack of DAC and Reg boards now. As for manual assembly, this can be a bit tricky because of the smd parts. The DAC chip itself has fine pitch pin layout and getting it properly aligned on all sides and soldering correctly requires a fair amount of skill and smd soldering equipment. So it is best to leave this to the fab house.

Anyway, for those who would still like to iron out things themselves, kits and bare boards are also available for purchase. Also, if you require custom options or configurations contact me instead of using the e-store. Website has been updated.

Regards, Acko

Last edited:
I was wondering if used in dual mono the output can be paralleled. That is, for example, in Left Mono can you parallel L+/R- and L-/R+ and have it go to a single IV board as L+ L-? Same for Right Mono with R+/L- and R-L+

I use differential in - SE out.

Are there advantages? I am assuming that each board is powered by it's own set of regulators.

Thanks

Bob

Mono Operation

I was wondering if used in dual mono the output can be paralleled. That is, for example, in Left Mono can you parallel L+/R- and L-/R+ and have it go to a single IV board as L+ L-? Same for Right Mono with R+/L- and R-L+

I use differential in - SE out.

Are there advantages? I am assuming that each board is powered by it's own set of regulators.

Thanks

Bob

Yes, you need to set the DAC to Mono operation and bridge the left and right outputs. IV stage for Mono is in the works. The reg modules are meant to go for each board.

The other configuration that is playing in my head is the possibility of taking this to the nth degree by stacking the DAC modules to combine outputs for even greater performance!

Cheers, Acko

I have been using Welborne's Cato (based on Borbely 6GM8 -MosFET hybrid) line stage with my Buffalo II. Using 12.5 ohm pull down resistors and both 6GM8 Telefunkens and Amperex 7308s. Power supply as provided by Welborne.

To my ears and with my system and also through headphones it sounds very nice. Rock solid low end - good breadth and width to the soundstage -very dynamic - nice detail.

Looking into a better regulated supply (maybe 35V for use with 7308s and 6H6P) and regulated filaments (need more current for the Russian tubes).

Best

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.