Acetone in gas tank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
depends how much you put in.

if you put 15 gallons of acetone and one gallon of gas in your 16 gallon tank, you'll go 300 miles on a gallon of gas!
:D
(if the hoses don't melt first.... and the acetone actually ignites...)

Finally a topic I can actually constructively
At 10% more expensive, and possibility of getting 10% better gas mileage, and overall better for you engine, it seems a slam dunk for me. Kinda like taking one dollar out of one pocket and putting it into the other.

in my experience, it seems to stay at a 10-15c price difference regardless of the actual cost. with high gas prices now, it's a negligible difference for me. thankfully so, since my high compression engine requires 91 :/

I can assume that there may be some truth in reports of a mileage increase, but the same increase may be gained by spending 1-2 tanks of a premium gasoline, in order to clean injectors, if they got so dirty so need some cleaning. At least, gasoline is less aggressive on plastics than acetone.

1-2 tanks of premium will not clean injectors. "Premium" only means an increased octane number. Also, those "injector cleaners in a bottle" won't do much good either.

The only thing that actually cleans your injectors is taking them out, and putting them on an ultrasonic injector cleaner.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
if you put 15 gallons of acetone and one gallon of gas in your 16 gallon tank, you'll go 300 miles on a gallon of gas!
:D
(if the hoses don't melt first.... and the acetone actually ignites...)

in my experience, it seems to stay at a 10-15c price difference regardless of the actual cost. with high gas prices now, it's a negligible difference for me. thankfully so, since my high compression engine requires 91 :/

Yeah I have a 2002 Acura RSX Type S with the 2 liter 4 banger, it's static compression ratio is 11:1 .. makes 1HP per 10cc of displacement. ) Requires 91 octane minimum and runs noticeably better on 93 octane. Car is surprisingly durable, although I no longer beat on it much, (Honda S2000 manages 240HP with a modestly basically tweaked version of this engine. One of my neighbors had a very built RSX with a centrifugal blower and that engine made about 380HP, about 70% more torque than stock, despite driving it like a maniac he neither blew it up or crashed it. Sadly traded for a Nissan 350Z which IMO is way more refined, but less cool.)

Yeah I have a 2002 Acura RSX Type S

97 prelude, 2.2liter. :) after 12 years and dozens of trips to 7400 rpm, still runs like new. better mileage actually :) it's rated 22/27, but i've been getting over 30mpg on several recent trips. I wonder what went in the tank...

of course the honda ignition switch bug is hitting me. In classic diy style, I'm contemplating putting in a separate power switch and start button instead of replacing it :cool: (... and for all you ppl on the internet trying to find me thinking it will be easier to steal... it won't :cop: )

yes, it's ot, but this is 'Everything Else' isn't it? all's fair here :p and i just spent 3 hours chilling to music so i'm happy :)

Are you sure?
I thought it is really refined better, that's why is more expensive.

I promise. The two grades are made from the same refined base, and then different additive packages are added to create either high or low octane gas. You are paying for more expensive octane additives. There are only 2 separate grades of gas, 87 and 91/93 -- mid-grade gas is a mixture of a certain ratio of them to achieve 89.

Honestly, it depends more on the company than the octane number when it comes to detergent effects, as different companies use different additive packages. But even those differences are pretty small. It's less about cleaning and more about preventing carbon build-up by producing a pure and complete-burning product.

Basically, if your engine was designed to use 87, use 87. If it was designed for 91/93, use 91/93. Buy gas from a company with a good repuation; Shell (v-power) and Chevron (techron) come to mind. If you would like to clean your injectors, get them cleaned. It only costs about $30-50.

Toluene - it's a benzene with one methyl group attached -- also called methyl benzene. Add a 3 moles of nitric acid and you'll get an interesting reaction.

Isn't that stuff a bit toxic? (relative to gasoline :rolleyes:)

In a former life, I use to build tires in a factory that made tires for highly respected brand names. My job as 'tire builder' was to assemble all the components, beads, inner-liner(tubeless), sidewall, ect. The uncured rubberized polyester or nylon fabric used for the plies will stick together upon contact. Sometimes there would be bad spots in the fabric like a stretched place or a seam, or you accidentally place a piece slightly off the mark. Then you have to use this solvent solution to separate the material. I believe the solvent was a naphtha base w/hexane and methyl alcohol added. I figured the solution is similar to gasoline, but without all the additives and that hexane would vaporize easier than octane so it ought to make a great fuel. I couldn't resist...:D I not dare put it in my car, so the little ATV I had at the time became the guinea pig. I ran the fuel 100% only one time and climbed a steep hill. This hill usually bogged the engine down in 2nd gear. I flew up that hill in 3rd while accelerating.:bigeyes: It was a very short run as the engine head became super hot so I had to sit and let it cool. Then I diluted the rest with regular gasoline because I didn't want to blow it up. It sure cleaned the carb out nicely.:p

BTW, I had a large industrial fan blowing right on me as I was working so the vapors weren’t an issue, at least to me.:spin:

Hmmm...

I tried Shell twice and both times heard increased detonation.

Surprisingly, Valero usually has better gas.

2 days ago after reading comments in this thread I poured 91 in my Civic Hybrid on a 76 gas station, but see no improvement against 87 in a mileage, according to the meter, but the engine seems to run smoother.

Last edited:
i obviously haven't heard what you did.. but all things being equal i'd be more inclined to think it wasn't detonating, especially in a relatively new car. :confused:

But it was. :p

I have a good hearing, and I barely look at a speedometer but keep at speed limit exactly; I feel the speed, probably hearing the engine.

Some people hear differences between speaker wires; I don't, but I hear differences between petroleums. :rolleyes:

But it was. :p

I have a good hearing, and I barely look at a speedometer but keep at speed limit exactly; I feel the speed, probably hearing the engine.

Some people hear differences between speaker wires; I don't, but I hear differences between petroleums. :rolleyes:

in that case, I'm stumped. unless... could there be a different ethanol blend at shell?

everything always comes back to speaker wires, doesn't it? :spin:

Toluene - it's a benzene with one methyl group attached

Toluene is a common octane booster. It is the main component of "104+" sold in auto parts stores to boost octane. I have a old Dodge Challenger with a seriously hot rodded 440 cubic inch (7.2 liters) engine. The last time I rebuilt it, I installed aluminum heads and set the static compression ratio at 9.6 to 1. The engine will now run fine on 93 octane gas. The previous iron headed monster required a few gallons of race gas (100 octane) mixed in with every tank full to avoid detonation. All the toluene in the world wouldn't kill the knock.

I used to race a FWD Dodge Charger back in the late 80's (before that became cool) that used a 2.2 liter engine with a big turbo, an intercooler and lots of boost. Water injection, some toluene in the tank, and icing down the intercooler between runs allowed for 14 to 16 psi of boost on 93 octane without detonation. Smoking the Mustang GT guys with a crappy old FWD Dodge was just too cool. I did discover that too much toluene will kill an oxygen sensor. I am not sure what caused the death but they turn a yellowish brown color and don't work any more. I never tried acetone, but it may do the same.

It is not too hard to outperform Mustang GT guys; I did that always driving Sentra SE with a manual gearshift. However, later I discovered why, trying Mustang GT myself: it thinks too looong before reacting. I do not understand what for are all that horse powers if the car does not accelerate as fast as asked to.
However, the explanation may be simple: the same plant builds both Mustangs and Crown Victorias, so the owners of the formers thinks cars are fast, while the drivers of the later's actually have faster cars. ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.