A powerFULL amplifier named Dirty Harry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I often receive private messages from people asking schematics, pcb layout etc. I promised to redraw pcb layouts by braking the current one - which is enormous - in two parts joined with 5 wires. I don't forget it but i had no time to do it so far.
For the current version of Dirty Harry: schematics, pcb layout and an artwork ready for printing (all in pdf format) in page 3: posts #27, #28, #29.
Thank you for your attention
Fotios

How much power it will give at 8ohms load with +/-65dc

Well, we have: +/-65Vpp = 65Vpeak. Voltage drop across each output transistor + Voltage drop across each emitter resistor = 4V approximately. So the peak voltage applied to load will be: 65 - 4 = 61Vpeak or 61 / 1.414 = 43.14Vrms. Accordingly the power at 8Ω load will be:
Prms = (43.14 X 43.14) / 8 = 1861 / 8 = 232.6 Wrms.
7 pairs of output transistor are too many for +/-65V supply rails. From experience, 4 pairs for home use or 5 pairs for pro audio use are more than enough.

Well, we have: +/-65Vpp = 65Vpeak. Voltage drop across each output transistor + Voltage drop across each emitter resistor = 4V approximately. So the peak voltage applied to load will be: 65 - 4 = 61Vpeak or 61 / 1.414 = 43.14Vrms. Accordingly the power at 8Ω load will be:
Prms = (43.14 X 43.14) / 8 = 1861 / 8 = 232.6 Wrms.
7 pairs of output transistor are too many for +/-65V supply rails. From experience, 4 pairs for home use or 5 pairs for pro audio use are more than enough.

Hi!

actually i need to run on 4 ohms load then how many pairs are required for pa application?
can i use 2sc4793&2sa1837 instead of all mje15032/33 and mj15020/21
thank you

Last edited:
Hi!

actually i need to run on 4 ohms load then how many pairs are required for pa application?
can i use 2sc4793&2sa1837 instead of all mje15032/33 and mj15020/21
thank you

5 pairs are enough yet for 2Ω load. I talk for PA use, OK?
I know that MJ15020-21 are obsolete, i tried MJL1302A-3281A in their place with success. Please make a comparison of Ft, Vce and Ic between MJL and 2SC-2SA. If match, then you can use them.

Interesting amp, how did you come up with the "dirty Harry" name ?

From Don Siegel film "Dirty Harry". :D
This amplifier has a simillar character with this of Harry Callahan. No many questions and verbosity (i.e. curious and eccentric circuitries), just solid, simple and powerfull like Harry's Smith & Wesson 29. Just shoot and kill.

I know what you’re thinking: “Did he fire six shots, or only five?” Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I’ve kinda lost track myself. But being this is a 0.44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well do ya, punk?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.