A(nother) reason NOT to DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a bit disappointed

For those who may have followed my tweak, I had hoped to find a cheaper alternative to the PE "Wet Look". What I tried failed. I had hoped that generic craft shop acrylic would do the trick. It looked the same and was suggested by someone in an email to me.

It does absolutely nothing. It won't adhere to the rubber and beads (retracts) into the surround coner due to surface tension.

So to date there's nothing better than the PE stuff. At least I have a lot on hand. I plan to test one or two other drivers that appear to have a similar issue.

dlr

Re: I'm a bit disappointed

dlr said:
For those who may have followed my tweak, I had hoped to find a cheaper alternative to the PE "Wet Look". What I tried failed. I had hoped that generic craft shop acrylic would do the trick. It looked the same and was suggested by someone in an email to me.

It does absolutely nothing. It won't adhere to the rubber and beads (retracts) into the surround coner due to surface tension.

So to date there's nothing better than the PE stuff. At least I have a lot on hand. I plan to test one or two other drivers that appear to have a similar issue.

dlr

How about some of that paint on electrical tape? Or the stuff you dip handles of tools into to rubberize them?

ruerose said:
Cabinets look very similar to a small bookshelf The Source is selling here in canada, ($69 on special I think).

It's not on their website unfortunatly.

I went to The Source today hoping that they were the same speakers but just re-badged for the source. They are not (although the cabinet is a similar shape).

Best Buy in Canada does not sell this speaker and of course Best Buy America does not ship to Canada so it looks like I won't be able to try this speaker out. However, BB has raised their MSRP to a whopping $80 now so they are a lot less attractive to experiment with.

I was thinking of just buying them for the enclosure and putting in a Fostex FE-167e full range driver. I haven't checked out if the driver will fit yet...I have an extra set of these drivers hanging around and the Insignia enclosures look a lot better than anything I can come up with my limited workshop.

Bought a set when they were cheap flipped them upside down and made a nice 2-way. Disappointed at the price increase too but if you like curved sides still a nice place to start if lacking facilities.

Attachments

• dscf0100sm.jpg
    dscf0100sm.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 794
I guess they got tired of being out of stock with the $35 sale price, so they just doubled the price LOL. Either that or someone up in corporate was losing at the track.
For those who scooped them up when they were still the bargain, there is another nice mod, by XO guru Dennis Murphy
http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=insignia.html
Really smoothened out the midband (please keep in mind that is probably 1/24th octave res with 5db division scale, not the 1/3rd, 20db scale silliness you see with fullranges, etc.).
If you missed the boat at $40, you might want to look elsewhere. Like DIY;) .

cheers,

AJ

With the MSRP on the Insignias being much higher now, the Radiient branded speakers (upon which the Insignias appear to be based and include a super tweeter) are a better buy? $99 including shipping...which is only a few dollars more than the Insignias now after shipping is factored in (or less expensive, if you are subject to tax by best buy).

Radiient Technologies Europa

PS: Radiient appears to ALSO include free shipping to Canada - this is the first time I've EVER seen free shipping offered to Canadians as well from a retailer! This may be a decent way for Canadians to experiment with these speakers...albeit quite a bit more expensive than the old price of $35...

wlai said:
Hmm interesting crossover for the Insignia. Is "murphyblaster" a reliable source for mods? I am new to this DIY world and not sure if he's a regular contributor, whose reputation I can trust.

Thanks.

This manufacturer thought highly enough of his work
http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=morelmod.html
He is well known on other forums/DIY community. Good guy.

cheers,

AJ

With the MSRP on the Insignias being much higher now, the Radiient branded speakers (upon which the Insignias appear to be based and include a super tweeter) are a better buy? $99 including shipping...which is only a few dollars more than the Insignias now after shipping is factored in (or less expensive, if you are subject to tax by best buy).

Too bad they don't sell the non-tweeter version of it seperately on their Elara system. The tweeter version is only 86dB while the non-tweeter version is 90dB like the Insignia. Still a good buy for $99us. You can't find anything decent in Canada for $200+ at BestBuy or FutureShop or elsewhere. I seen their Calypso system at Walmart rebadged as Fetex for $37.95cdn/pair, too bad its only 84dB.

Jackboot said:
Hey EdT - you saw the rebadged Calypso at WalMart in Canada? For that price it may be worth it just for the enclosures...

Oh, and in case you didn't know - it appears that Radiient also ships free to Canada...so $99 USD shipped to Canada as well

Yes, Walmarts in Canada, they sell the floors $99/pair, center $34, Sub $99 and surrounds $37.95/pair all seperately. The enclosure is made of plastic, nice finish though and good bindings. Not bad for $37.95 a pair for more powerful amps as secondary systems.

I saw they sell 4" 88dB Precision Acoustics at Canadian BestBuys for $99/pair, they dont have any ports on the 4", but they do on the 5" for $149/pair

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10076968&catid=20319

I am still trying to find anacceptable pair of mini for my TA-10 PC set-up to replace my 93dB Walcoms. So far the only ones that I like are 3" Tektons that Eric has to build.

I'm on the same quest as you my friend...I want to give a T-amp and a pair of speakers to a friend for her birthday at the end of this month. The Insignia's would do the trick but of course are not available here in Canada. The Calypso rebadges you have seen at walmart might be nice but 84dB is probably not sensitive enough to use with a t-amp...or are they?

I would just order the Radiient branded speakers for $99 shipped to Canada but they need to be black (colour matters...they are for a chick lol)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.