A(nother) reason NOT to DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TurboFC3S said:
I got one of the speakers puttied up today. I also used a 1" square dowel rod to make a side to side brace for the upper chamber, and an up/down brace for the lower chamber.

My thoughts on the enclosure are that there's more causing the cabinet resonances than just the grooves in the side panels. The top/bottom panels are just hot glued on, and the front panel (under the baffle) is actually two pieces, again hot glued together. I think one really needs to make the entire structure stiffer, not just the sides. To try and do this I first put a bead of liquid nails on all points inside where two panels meet - this wasn't easy, since the bottom joints are hard to get to - and it used almost a full tube of liquid nails. But with that, the dowel rod bracing, and a thick layer of water putty the enclosure now feels night and day better.

I'm also going to paint on a layer of something silicone based to the front panel. I wouldn't be surprised if the baffle vibrates a bit, the silicone under it should help. The 4 screws holding the baffle on aren't screwed down very tight, and it's impossible to get them really tight since the box is 1/2" mdf ... too much tightening will strip the holes.

I'll probably keep the crossover mods simple since I don't have the proper testing equipment to measure changes. And I'm just planning on using them for the presence channels on my Yamaha receiver, so going nuts would be kinda pointless. I might airbrush the front baffle some flashy color though, like cobalt blue ... just for the heck of it :)

I thought this thread was about not DIY'ing?

TurboFC3S said:
I got one of the speakers puttied up today. I also used a 1" square dowel rod to make a side to side brace for the upper chamber, and an up/down brace for the lower chamber....

I'll probably keep the crossover mods simple since I don't have the proper testing equipment to measure changes. And I'm just planning on using them for the presence channels on my Yamaha receiver, so going nuts would be kinda pointless. I might airbrush the front baffle some flashy color though, like cobalt blue ... just for the heck of it :)

let us know how it all sounds...

gychang

What does this part on the Insignia crossover do (the part circuled in red)?

Attachments

• xover.jpg
    xover.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 896
Timn8ter said:
Probably not but it won't hurt to take it out either as long as you keep the volume level reasonable. Some may argue that it affects the sound. I can't see it having more of an impact than the cheap inductors and caps do.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. If there's any potential benefit I'll remove them ... since I'm replacing the caps and inductors with Jantzen stuff.

I know that they will remove the whole great price aspect of these speakers but if you could get a pair of seas 6.5" or 7" coaxil speakers to fit in these boxes you would have one hell of a great speaker. Considering the drivers are around $117 a peice and crossovers are $35 and you have to make some mods to the enclosure you may want to find a more economical coaxil driver.

My take on this is,

If building something gives you pleasure, then by all means DIY is the way to go. DIY is the ONLY way to go. You have fun planning it, you have fun buillding it, you have fun listening to it for long long time. Nothing beats that.

If Economic starts to come into play, then it's getting little harder to justify. DIY'd stuff does not have nowhere near the resale value of the commercial stuff. Especially mid-high end speakers... if you buy a good one used, you can sell it a year later for the same money you bought it for. NOTHING can beat that.

If Economics is the biggest factor, then you shouldn't come to this forum. DIY is NOT your option. Well. only if you buy just enough parts to build one and everything works on the initial power on, and you don't go hack it out again.

(Personally, I am all in for DIY'ing)

My two cents on the topic,
If you want to further the field of music reproduction, DIY is also the only way to go. If you want an implementation of a particular technology, you cannot rely on commercial designs to implement them in a way you want. Also DIY allows you to adjust parameters to a level of customization of your listening environment than any commercial systems can because they have to produce good listening results for a wider range of conditions. So for ultimate sound reproduction, you need to DIY.

If you want to involve economics, economics always involves what you value (willingness to pay, marginal cost of utility), the cost of production (tools, eduacation, time), and the benefit recieved (using it, selling it, or pleasure building it). The cost of production depends on what you already have. Having many of the tools beforehand makes DIY more justifiable. Despite so, DIY is economical if you decide to build a lot of speakers for friends/family/yourself because the marginal cost of building an additional speaker is not a lot compared to the initial cost of building the first speaker.

TurboFC3S said:
No kidding, we're talking $40/pair here. It's pretty hard to argue with that :) The fact that they can be made to sound pretty decent is icing on the cake. I'd consider paying $40/pair just for the cabinets to use for a 2 way monitor.

I'm surprised there's been almost no interest in doing that in this thread, but that's what a couple of us are doing here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1031833#post1031833

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.