A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

indeed I am very happy I found the cooperation, so my designs will still be available . the whole kit sales was getting to much doing just like that ;) next to my day job, which includes frequent international travel .... not to mention tax and stuff ;)

And indeed, I will finally have more time for the HOBBY !! :cool:

Great news to hear that your design is in good hands!

don´t believe everything you read;
I tried the Jupiter Flat stack and they completely fell through compared to Mundorf silver in oil on my TAD 4001/2001 horn rig passive filter
besides I don´t see how they can be compared to MKP1837 that are only available in sub 1µF values and mainly used for shunting
besides they were far out of tolerance, which is pretty poor to start with....
hificollective even took them back in return
best
Leif

don´t believe everything you read;
I tried the Jupiter Flat stack and they completely fell through compared to Mundorf silver in oil on my TAD 4001/2001 horn rig passive filter
besides I don´t see how they can be compared to MKP1837 that are only available in sub 1µF values and mainly used for shunting
besides they were far out of tolerance, which is pretty poor to start with....
hificollective even took them back in return
best
Leif

I think they are both supreme capacitors but ,and that's important, with their own sound signature.

Supersurfer
Still studying your PSU design, as my chokes are travelling.
While increasing my rectifier knowledge, I was wondering how you rectify two secondaries with only 4 diodes, have you parallel the secondaries (still 12VAC but twice the current) ?
Is there any need for two secondaries then ?
Thanks for your patience !

Supersurfer
Still studying your PSU design, as my chokes are travelling.
While increasing my rectifier knowledge, I was wondering how you rectify two secondaries with only 4 diodes, have you parallel the secondaries (still 12VAC but twice the current) ?
Is there any need for two secondaries then ?
Thanks for your patience !

Hi,

Yes the two secondaries are parallel and I have te rectifiers in bridge mode.
It just happens that this tranny has two secondary 12v windings.

It would be nicer if you have a choice to use two 6v secondaries and two rectifiers. This minimises rectifier pulse.

I had some thoughts on why a big trannie sounds good. This is not only because of the lower impedance ( makes for very nice lush low ends though)
The trannie will also saturate less, or not, when the rectifier starts conducting and a big current is drawn.

Regards,

Ok, this explains everything.

Hum, 6V secondaries, then I have to wire the PSU in serie, to have 12V...
Time to study a little more and see what it brings.

I'm also thinking of Panasonic FC in the choke PSU, Silmics II aren't available in 25V above 1000uF...

Hi,

I was a bit too fast in my last post. You need two 12v secondaries instead of 6v for a two rectifier full wave setup.
I use it in tube amps as a no brainer and now I wrote it down wrong :eek:

Check this: File:Fullwave.rectifier.en.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bothe secondaries are basically in parallel like this.

The Panasonic FC are nice.

Interesting.
In that circuit I need a tranny with only one secondary but a center tap.
It makes the bridge simpler, but such a tranny must be custom-ordered... Decision decisions ! According to what I'm reading (no measurements, just physics), it looks equally performant to the four-diode bridge.
I wish I had more time to try all this, it looks funny.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Why not just use one of the secondaries, and seal off the other one? That transformer is such overkill anyway. I would have been too nervous to put both secondaries to the same bridge. Hmm, I guess Doede's PSU uses both secondaries off of the smaller transformer, through one set of diodes.

I like your big unregulated PSU, and probably will emulate it. I am going to stick to Doede's 5 volt for the Wave board, or if it ever appears, the BBB/Botic.

Also, if the choke feeds a CCS, the current through the trannie stays constant, makes the type if diode much less relevant.
With Supersurfers shunts, this will effectively be a CCS as they shunt what they don't supply to the load. Perhaps this is part of why the choke loading sounds good.

Chuz,

Drew.

Hello,

I can not decide myself. Need help :)

I have a single deck version stock
I am looking for improvements. :D

My current output capacitors are Jantzen Superior Cap (which I believe average).

What would be the best upgrade of the output stage:

1) CINEMAG 15/15B (POS / NEG)
2) Mundorf Silver Gold Oil (POS / COM)
3) Mundorf Silver Gold Oil (POS / NEG)
4) Change Dale I/V resistors for Vishay Naked or something fancy (in addition of another tweak)

Additional question: Where can I find the power supply tweak?

I recommend to use TX2575 from Texas Components as I/V Resistors, i assemble mine recently, they are game changer in stage and resolution of sound.

btw.. i use Panasonic FC or FR (better) in Supply Application's with always good results.