A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Anyone: has there been a comparison between Doede's dac and a Buffalo III?

If you want audiofool prose, I'm not the right person..... Having said that, I have experience with both. Facts.... Native DSD support from the Sabre chip. Can turn off the on-chip OS on the Sabre. (Not that there is any need. ESS actually have a decent implementation on-chip compared to most of the sigma-delta competition.) You also have the option with the Buffalo, (which is something I like about DDAC), to "play" with output stages, (passive, active, transformers), as with very low value I/V resistor, (or virtual ground), it is current output, or don't load it down and use "passive" voltage output, (for roughly the same output voltage as the DDAC with the standard 133R I/V resistor).

I use DDAC pretty much every day. I fire-up Buffalo from time to time. Infer from that, whatever you like. ;) Both are very high quality and you can build a superb DIY DAC using either.

Another Apple Macintosh (MacBook Pro, Model No. A1286) issue

On a previous post #576 I reported about hissing (quantization noise).

Here I report about humming when a specific power supply is connected to the Mac Book Pro.

On and Off I heard humming when no music was playing and had the Mac Book Pro connected to the DDDac, today I realized why this was intermittent, when I had a power supply connected to the Mac there was humming, no power supply no humming.

I found this hard to comprehend, since this a lot of people use this hardware professionally. Luckily I did have another power supply (an older model) so I tried that one, and HoHO no humming with this older model power supply.

The first image (DSCN0088.JPG) is the power supply that caused the humming.
The second Image (DSCN0091.JPG) is the power supply without humming noises in the chain.

Happy listening

Bert

Attachments

• DSCN0088.jpg
    DSCN0088.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 603
  • DSCN0091.jpg
    DSCN0091.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 575
With cinemags

Today I did reconnect my cinemags.

Before I had connected them wrongly (plus in that session I had a power supply connected (see my previous post)) and the sound was dull.

Today, I went back to the paper supplied by cinemag (and helped by the clear images that walter supplied in post #773), and now it sounds wonderful.

I have no proper words (in English) to describe the improvement, but I would like to use the words "more sparkling".

The unconnected wire is the end of the white wires twisted together to be connected to the housing later. (even though my wires are not closely twisted, the sound is good).

I have not detected any loss of bass (I have directly connected a Pass F5 Clone, without a pre-amp).

Next step is the four board deck.

Bert

Attachments

• DSCN0094.jpg
    DSCN0094.jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 600
watchmouse--
you are just in beginning to discover what the Doede dac can do...first. give it some more hour to play,so it can settle in
maybe try some other I-V resistor
Doedes 5volt supply for the usb board
i have not connected the unused wire on the Cinemag to anything
best Bjarne

I-V resistors

Hi Beardman,

I found your post that contains, "Just mounted the Shinko 2w resistor to the I-V".

I did do a quick search, but did not find a source here in Europe, do you have a link where these can be bought?

I do have the Doede's 5V supply for the WaveIO :cool: onboard

I am very pleased with the DDDac, don't want to go back sliding CD's into the player.

Grtz, Bert

These little boards are extremely convenient I must say :)

latest news, eight decks works perfectly. I am an happy man. next week we will do listening tests. will report back and start making things available....

for now merry :santa: :santa: :santa: :cool::D
Welldone for 8-stacks! A happy man here also! I am now one step closer getting this 8-Stacks put together at not too distance future! :p
Please let us know how did you go with the listening tests? HoHoHo...!!!

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Walter, that's a very nice build :).

Where did you get the enclosure?

Roel

Thanks! It's a Modushop Galaxy Magiorato GX388, the frontpanel is from Schaeffer AG.
They are now processing the same frontpanel with my customer provided 10 MM Alu front from Modushop.

So that will be even nicer, and necessary because when I was drilling and tapping a blind hole at the back to hold the LED-PCB, I almost drilled through ..... :headbash: and now it shows a big bulge :eek::cuss::headbash:

Works

Deep breath and plug it in. :no:
I forgot that the SBT needs the USB output to be enabled :ashamed:
Try again :bullseye:

This is just a lash up to test it. I'm powering it with a couple of cheap ebay sourced Chinese power supplies, a pair of caps from my parts box and mounted on a plank of wood. Hardly hifi is it. Yes it is. :D

I built this because I wanted to play hirez files and my Audio Synthesis Dax2 is 16/44.1 only. I've been listening to some serious kit from Linn, Naim and Audiolab and found nothing that made me want to part with the AS. Already this is easily the equal of the AS after 1hr of playing.
Now that I know it's OK I'll spend some time and effort to finish it to a standard it obviously deserves. Problem is that I'm listening instead of working :rolleyes:

Next question is cinemags or Sowter, anyone heard both?

Doede you're the man. :worship:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
thanks for the flowers :eek: good to have some positive feedback! keeps me going :)

on the question, why not use just pos and neg terminal to avoid capacitors...
it might work, IF the amplifier which follows is isolated from ground. otherwise you will add the complete ground of your house to one of the outputs of the DAC. it might work fine indeed, but it might hum as hell.....

why not try it if you think the rest of the chain can float

Joined 2008
Paid Member
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2w shinkoh tantalum resistors for IV + custom sowters from Doede (1:1 and 1:0.5 windings) = very nice!

The sowters have lowered the noise floor producing a blacker background. I can hear further into the music. Small naunces and delineation of notes/voice seem more fleshed out and essier to pick. The music seems to also have greater sense of purity and presence. Improvement in 3d soundstage clairty and resolution as well.

Coupling caps I have tried are wonder dynamicaps, jensen copper paper tube, ampohms, auricaps and duelund cast coppers. Duelunds being the most fluid, natural sounding while still having excellent resolution out of the various caps.

Sowters bring further improvement than the duelunds.

All IMO of course!

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL and thank you again Doede! <3