A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Well,

I did order a pair of the Cinemag's. When the postman arrived it didn't take long before they were in my DAC. I still have the dac-solo (as Dick named it) so with one board. Today I went to a good friend and we just listened for a few hours. He has the four boards-DAC, with the Mundorf S/G/Oil.
Well my opinion, I think the Solo with Cinemags is better then the 4 boards without the transformers.
It makes the sound more round, fuller, a....very nice high also, more detail, richer and so on and on. For me, a very good upgrade! More power, but never sharper. Just try before you....:eek:

Setup at home:
Macbook Air, Amarra (and Audirvana Plus), DDDAC Solo with Cinemag, Triode Dicks Classic Three Preamp, Classic II 300B amp, and Klipsch La Scala's.

It makes Doede's DAC even more and more wonderful, what a good performance!!!! I was already Flabbergasted...but now I am even more :)

Last edited:
Hi,

I've just finished building my DDDAC and am running it with the SPDIF module, but have a small problem. When i first turn it on it doesn't lock to the incoming signal. If i remove the digital input and reconnect it it works fine and continues to do so. Has anyone else experienced this? and if so what could be the cause?

Many Thanks, Si

Well,

I did order a pair of the Cinemag's. When the postman arrived it didn't take long before they were in my DAC. I still have the dac-solo (as Dick named it) so with one board. Today I went to a good friend and we just listened for a few hours. He has the four boards-DAC, with the Mundorf S/G/Oil.
Well my opinion, I think the Solo with Cinemags is better then the 4 boards without the transformers.
It makes the sound more round, fuller, a....very nice high also, more detail, richer and so on and on. For me, a very good upgrade! More power, but never sharper. Just try before you....:eek:

Setup at home:
Macbook Air, Amarra (and Audirvana Plus), DDDAC Solo with Cinemag, Triode Dicks Classic Three Preamp, Classic II 300B amp, and Klipsch La Scala's.

It makes Doede's DAC even more and more wonderful, what a good performance!!!! I was already Flabbergasted...but now I am even more :)

Thanks for your input Jan. I'm going to be ordering the Cinemags next week once I've returned from my late summer holiday.

I also have the 4 board DDDAC but have recently changed the capacitors from Mundorf SGO to Audyn Copper. I know it's considered best to completely remove the capacitors but the Audyn sound very good compared to the Mundorfs. The bass has much more weight and the mids/highs sound fuller too. I felt the Mundorfs were a little edgy at the top end and overall quite lean in comparison.

One thing is for sure, the Cinemags have really got some 'impressing' to do. ;)

Hi,

I've just finished building my DDDAC and am running it with the SPDIF module, but have a small problem. When i first turn it on it doesn't lock to the incoming signal. If i remove the digital input and reconnect it it works fine and continues to do so. Has anyone else experienced this? and if so what could be the cause?

Many Thanks, Si

Si, I'm using the SPDIF module and have had no issues with it at all.

How have you got the bridge connected for the clock speed? What about the other jumper for SYNC SPDIF or Re-Clock? I'm not sure if either of these can cause the issue you mentioned but worth checking perhaps.

Hi Ian

Thanks for the feedback, I've fitted the links for re lock and 2MHz I think. Not sure if that is right. Do you know what you have yours set to? I won't be able to check mine till tomorrow.

Ps I may be interested in a group but of transformers depending on price

Cheers, si

Hi Ian

Thanks for the feedback, I've fitted the links for re lock and 2MHz I think. Not sure if that is right. Do you know what you have yours set to? I won't be able to check mine till tomorrow.

Ps I may be interested in a group but of transformers depending on price

Cheers, si
just post a Picture of the board so we can tell if it is ok...

Hi doede

I haven't worked out how to post photos yet. I can see that I've linked where it says bridge B (for 2.8224 MHz click) and also Re-clocking. Is this correct? Also what are the benefits of re-clocking over sync mode? I think I've found the problem though, I noticed I hadn't connected the 75r resistor across the digital input phono connector.

I'll try to post pictures again later, and thanks for your help.

Cheers, Si

Re-clocking uses the on-board clock and will restrict you to 16bit/44.1k, which is what I have done. I use a Sonos box as my streamer so limiting to 16/44.1 is not an issue for me.

'Sync mode' will allow up to 96k which is the limit of CS8414 SPDIF receiver chip.

Ah yes, the 75ohm resistor could be the issue.

Thanks ian, that makes sense, I'm only using red book CD so I think I'll leave it as is for now. I'll fit the 75r resistor when I get home and hopefully that'll fix it. Need to decide whether to upgrade to four boards now!

I have a close up photo of the SPDIF board with the links in the reclock 2 meg position.
If you send your Email address I can send it to you :)

Here goes trying to upload a picture!

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums...F-8466-7C1835FC2FDC-3742-000003EB1ED095F5.jpg

Alex kindly sent me a photo to compare my spdif board against, and mine is identical. I've also connected the 75r resistor across the digital input phono connector, but I'm still having problems with the dac gaining lock at initial switch on. Does anyone have any more ideas?

Many thanks, Si

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here goes trying to upload a picture!

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums...F-8466-7C1835FC2FDC-3742-000003EB1ED095F5.jpg

Alex kindly sent me a photo to compare my spdif board against, and mine is identical. I've also connected the 75r resistor across the digital input phono connector, but I'm still having problems with the dac gaining lock at initial switch on. Does anyone have any more ideas?

Many thanks, Si

from The picture, all is fine. hard to say why it does not lock as you say. never had any issue with this. normally it is wrong wiring, but as said, all ok... will you be able to try another CD player may be, or another cable ? just to see if we can rule out something ? we can also take this off line if you want, I can support you on by normal email.

Hi guys,

I just finished building my 4deck DDDAC and I have a very strange problem. The output sounds like a badly tuned radio with a lot of static. When connected to an oscilloscope, it seems like there is a lot of digital noise (large signal steps) at the output (hard to see them clearly since I use an old analogue oscilloscope). I have the same problem with SPDIF input as well as with waveIO.
In thread 322, I have read about an issue with loading the I2S bus too much in case of 8decs which resulted in what looks like a similar issue. However that was with 8decs and I'm using only 4. Do you think that I might have the same problem? I checked the I2S signal by an oscilloscope after the resistors (directly on the top deck) and the amplitude appears 3.3V so it doesn’t look like the lines are being pulled down too much. I don't have a 5V regular available at the moment otherwise I would have tried swapping the 3.3V regulator as described in the mentioned thread. Can anybody think about something else that may cause this kind of problem?
Thanks