A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Give a look to the SAMTEC website and search for the part number I post before. They are long enough to make a proper contact
Nice tip, thanks. I've ordered some free samples :)

In other news, I haven't said it in a while but wow, I love my DDDAC :D
I have been experimenting lately with a direct DSD solution so haven't had my DDDAC plugged in all that much, and in a way I thought the DSD kit was better in some ways, but last night I properly compared both solutions and it's safe to say I am still fully in love with the musical experience from the DDDAC :)
The DSD solution is very detailed indeed and gives the impression of being more high-res and technically more accurate, but actually the resulting musical experience is somehow more empty and clinical. In contrast the DDDAC sings with such a beautiful voice. So involving and musical with holographic detail and a wonderful sense of the recording environment. Comparing the sound and experience of the 2 it is like the DSD dac is a solid state T-amp and the DDDAC is a fine valve amp, full of music and life.

I now have it working with Roon too via a BBB with Botic driver and Squeezelite, via Hermes and Cronus boards.
So much music to explore now! :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
If mail is working decently i will get a replacement board today and will get the Silmics early next week and the sowter too which were kind of lost during sending even though the adress was correct. So now it will be send to my company.
So maybe cannot finish my dddac pretty soon.
Greetings, Eduard
P.s but still dont know why one board is not working.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Small update

Hello,
I got the replacement board from audio creative will desolder the old one and return it.
Now waiting for the silmics to arrive and then can do a new effort.
Did complete on side of my dddac chassis. As you can see 230 volts ac input with hirschmann connector, toggle switch and fuse holder. A 2 A slow blow fuse working perfect with my 500 va R core probably will not work with a toroidal one.
Does anyone know if there are neutrik available that will using this kind of connector to be connected directly to the wave io circuit board. It looks more sturdy and reliable than using the rather flimsy USB port soldered onto that little circuit board.
AND it will look nice because I use neutrik for the bnc input as well.
Greetings, eduard

Attachments

• NAUSB.JPG
    NAUSB.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 392
  • 20160522_100310.jpg
    20160522_100310.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 105
What is your approach to run the 32 decks? are you using some buffers/drivers for the I2S (like Doede used for his TDA1543 project)? Probably connecting the I2S wire all the way to the 32 decks will case problems (?!).
What do you plan to use for the main PSU?

Best wishes

I have tried and failed to get the 32 dac boards to work. It was too much for the I2S delivery method.

I tried with a 74HVC125 ( Thank you Doede) then a SN54ALS1034 buffer to no avail, so I disconnected the top 2 boards which now works fine.
So 2 banks of 15 dac boards work very well :).

The power supply is a separate beast using the DDDAC power supply boards, 1 per bank of 15 but with Choke smoothing, Mundorf 10000uf smoothing caps and a TIP142 transistor bolted to the side mounted heatsinks.
Wave IO has the DDDAC power supply but with the 10000uf mundorf`s and Vishay 136RVI 470uf caps.

Attachments

• 30 stack Dac.jpg
    30 stack Dac.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 32 Stack Power supply.jpg
    32 Stack Power supply.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 373
I have tried and failed to get the 32 dac boards to work. It was too much for the I2S delivery method.

I tried with a 74HVC125 ( Thank you Doede) then a SN54ALS1034 buffer to no avail, so I disconnected the top 2 boards which now works fine.

The power supply is a separate beast using the DDDAC power supply boards, 1 per bank of 15 but with Choke smoothing, Mundorf 10000uf smoothing caps and a TIP142 transistor bolted to the side mounted heatsinks.
Wave IO has the DDDAC power supply but with the 10000uf mundorf`s and Vishay 136RVI 470uf caps.

Wow, what a nice build! Can you comment on how much you gained with 30 DAC boards compared to a more down-to-earth approach with 4 boards or so?

Could a lvds solution be used to any benefit in those extreme builds?

Insane build mate :thumbs:

A bit over the top for my wallet, but cool :)

So, I started making sketchup models of the boards. I am finishing the first board (PSU), and I am wondering if I have the correct measurements for the mounting holes.

From what I can see the holes are 5mm from the edge to center of the hole. And the "middle" holes are 55mm from the edge on the trafo side. Am I correct?

The models will be uploaded to the sketchup 3dwarehouse as soon as they are finished. The name will contain "WIP" untill I am happy with it, then the "WIP" will be removed from the name.

Attachments

• DDDacPSUwip.jpg
    DDDacPSUwip.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Did finish my deconstruction of my 4 board dac because the one nearest to ther mainboard did not function well.
While cutting some of the wires that interconnect the boards i feel there is quiet a lot of tension on them so to say, Maybe that could put some stress on the soldering '' spots ''. i did tighten the stand offs before soldering so in fact they should stay in place but i am thinking about user thinner more flexible wires.
Deconstruction was a time consuming business without a desoldering station..
If you see no more post from me in this thread the dddac is functioning perfect.
Still have some blu rays to watch.
Greetings, Eduard

Could a lvds solution be used to any benefit in those extreme builds?

Insane build mate :thumbs:

A bit over the top for my wallet, but cool :)

So, I started making sketchup models of the boards. I am finishing the first board (PSU), and I am wondering if I have the correct measurements for the mounting holes.

From what I can see the holes are 5mm from the edge to center of the hole. And the "middle" holes are 55mm from the edge on the trafo side. Am I correct?

The models will be uploaded to the sketchup 3dwarehouse as soon as they are finished. The name will contain "WIP" untill I am happy with it, then the "WIP" will be removed from the name.

Nvm, I found the "hidden" PCB dimentions file.

Attachments

• DDDacPSUwip.jpg
    DDDacPSUwip.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 369
For the new DAC Module, Dick (Audio-Creative) made a great construction manual. Very detailed, step for step and with many pictures :)

It is not only helpful for this board, also in general very good tips :p

you can download the DUTCH version here:

Link to construction manual in Dutch

I translated it in English and put it also on my website:
Link to construction manual in English

Hope this will be of help :cool:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :cool:

I am utterly impressed by your patience and motivation to find your personal MAX DAC :p

well done Alex and enjoy this "Monster" :)

YW. and thx for the link to the step by step guide. Not sure if I will go for this DAC yet (money and time...), but better understanding of it and lots of info (as well as playing around in 3d) usually makes my wallet nervous ;)

Sketchup Make is free and I think fairly easy to use. For layout purposes etc (there are many components available in the online database).

very nice job and well done!
best wishes

Wow, what a nice build! Can you comment on how much you gained with 30 DAC boards compared to a more down-to-earth approach with 4 boards or so?

When I started building the DDDAC I had recently completed an Audionote Dac 4-1 kit and was impressed with the sound quality.

I was going to seriously modify the power supply and was saving up for my pile of iron and glass when I spotted the DDDAC.

I ended up building a 4 dac board DDDAC with the Sowter transformers. The sound quality compared to the Audionote was much better. So I connected another 4 Dac boards to see if I could hear any difference adding the extra boards.

I have found that using extra boards brings added refinement to vocals, separation of instruments is so good that it seems like they have their individual space and can be easily followed. It is quite entertaining when you discover that some musicians like to walk around and moving back and forth ... the DDDAC resolves all of it and more.

Percussion instruments retain tonal colours and the transient attack that is often missed slightly which will give the impression of poor timing.

Cymbals when hit, tilt and the drum stick will slide along the surface to give a full bodied metallic sound which is often missed, even my single 16 stacker does not resolve this but my dual 15 stack picks it up nicely.

There will be a point when the law of diminishing returns set it so maybe I have found it but it will not stop me from wanting to try the new Dac Tent boards ... H mmm I wonder if I replace the top boards with the Tent version, would it contribute what I have already

Nurse Help !

Last edited: