A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

dwjames: yes, I think this would work with every reclocker which has at least 2 separate data channels.
Probably it's also possible with a rasberry. But I don't know much about it. It all depends on the driver. Miero did a very good job with the botic!

supersurfer: I think this modification sounds mostly better because without the hardware shift registers, there is less jitter now. (There is maybe also less noise because of one less voltage regulator)
So the improvements are like what you usually get if jitter is reduced, more (micro) details, a bit more bass, darker background, everything just sounds more right.
Did a lot of mods already on my DDDAC (Thanks btw for the things you suggested, tent shunts, choke psu ...) so my system was playing on a good level already.
But now it became even better. Best of all, it's a mod which is easy to try out and costs almost nothing if you own a BBB with an reclocker already :)
Can I assume you had it's working out, or is still very much a concept?
I puzzle with the idea "direct to DAC without the Mainboard", does this mean the delay on mainboard also bypass and having the seperated L and R data line direct to each side? If that is the case, I wonder how beneficial really for a multi-stacking DAC of two or more?

FYI, few had tried previously, myself included, and failed! Nonetheless, your be the first should this is a success. I am pretty interested in your findings and look forward to your new innovation strategy! :)

Last edited:
Can I assume you had it's working out, or is still very much a concept?
I puzzle with the idea "direct to DAC without the Mainboard", does this mean the delay on mainboard also bypass and having the seperated L and R data line direct to each side? If that is the case, I wonder how beneficial really for a multi-stacking DAC of two or more?

It's working! I am just listening to it!
I am sure it's also beneficial for a multi board DDDAC.
But I am not sure if the Chronus can drive as many board as you have. So far I only tried with one board. You have to test it.

It's working! I am just listening to it!
I am sure it's also beneficial for a multi board DDDAC.
But I am not sure if the Chronus can drive as many board as you have. So far I only tried with one board. You have to test it.

That's great news!
I have both TP Cronus and Acko S03. Will put them to the test and reporting back. Please share on how to implement this! :)

Thanks jptz!
Chanh

How to connect the DAC-Board directly to the BBB-Hermes-Chronus:

This is how the DAC-Board can be directly connected to the BBB-Hermes-Chronus. No DDDAC mainbord needed.

The conversion to the Right Justified format is done by the botic driver. The split into right and left channel with the rerouting function of ALSA.

Note: There is a bug in the botic driver. The conversion to Right Justified doesn't work if the 32bit format is used. But we can use 24bit without any quality loss.

Here I only explain how mpd can be used with this modification. Almost every other player will also work. It only has to use the format 24bit or lower and botic-split as output device.

Hardware:

I used a perfboard to connect the dac board to the Chronus (see picture). But I think it's also possible to just connect the boards directly with wires.

Connections:
Chronus Ground -> to both Ground-Pins on the DAC-Board
Chronus DCK -> to both BCK-Pins on the DAC-board
Chronus D1 -> to both LR-Pins on the DAC-Board
Chronus D2 -> to the left Data-Pin on the DAC-Board
Chronus D3 -> to the right Data-Pin on the DAC-Board
+12V and GND for the supply

The I/V-Resistors have to be connected in the same way as on the DDDAC-Mainboard.
If R7 and R9 on the DAC-Board have different values than R5,R6,R7,R8 they should be replaced.
(May be it would be even better to replace all this resistors with wires. There are resistors on the chronus already. Didn't test it.)

Software:

We need a ssh connection to the BBB and we have to login in as root.
How to do that is explained in the botic thread.
A "ssh root@(network address of the BBB)" should work with a linux computer. For Windows the program "putty" is probably the best choice. Password is "botic".

1. Checking if we have the latest kernel:

If the command "uname -r" returns "4.0.0-botic5" we can skip the next step.

2. Updating the kernel:

The BBB has to be connected to the internet!

Updating the system time: "ntpdate pool.ntp.org"

Updating the package list: "apt-get update"

Installing the new kernel: "apt-get install linux-image-4.0.0-botic5"

3. Changing modul parameters:

To get Right Justified Output and the correct BCK-LR-Ratio we have to edit uEnv.txt in the directory /boot/uboot.

Starting the editor: "nano /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt"

We have to edit the last line. It should look like this:

"optargs=snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=3 snd_soc_botic.serconfig=MMMM snd_soc_botic.dai_format=16386 snd_soc_botic.blr_ratio=32"

Then we can exit and save the changes.

4. Rebooting and checking the changes
:

Now we have to reboot.

When the reboot is finished we can check our changes.

Command: "uname -r" should return "4.0.0-botic5"

Command: "cat /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dai_format" should return "16386"

Command: "cat /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/blr_ratio" should return "32"

5. Creating an ALSA Device for getting separated left and right channels:

First we check if we already have an asound.conf file.

If "ls /etc/asound.conf" returns "No such file or directory" we have to create a new one with: "touch /etc/asound.conf"

Now we can edit the file: "nano /etc/asound.conf"

It should look like this:

pcm.botic-split {
type route;
slave.pcm "hw:0,0";
slave.channels 4;
ttable.0.0 1;
ttable.0.1 1;
ttable.0.2 1;
ttable.1.3 1;
}

ctl.botic-split {
type hw;
card 0;
}

6. Checking for the new ALSA device:

Command: "aplay -L" should list the new device "botic-split"

7. Creating a new audio output for the mpd server:

Editing mpd.conf: "nano /etc/mpd.conf"

We have to add a new audio output option.

It should look like this:

audio_output {
type "alsa"
name "Botic-Split"
device "botic-split"
format "*:24:2"
dsd_usb "no"
dsd_native "yes"
dsd_native_type "3"
priority "FIFO:32"
period_time "1"
mixer_type "software"
# mixer_device "default" # optional
# mixer_control "PCM" # optional
# mixer_index "0" # optional
}

8. Restarting MPD:

Now we have to restart the mpd server.

Command: "service mpd restart"

9. Setting the output device:

In our MPD client program we have to choose "Botic-Split" as output device.

10. Playing Music:

And now it should be possible to play music!

Attachments

• BBB-DDDAC-02.jpg
    BBB-DDDAC-02.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 729
This is how the DAC-Board can be directly connected to the BBB-Hermes-Chronus. No DDDAC mainbord needed.

This is fantastic! Really appreciate your input/direction here. Many thanks jptz!
Last I tried was On Botic 3.2 and failed. Still haven't upgraded to Botic4. Now with Botic 5, there is no more excuse! :)

Btw, many thanks to All with your kind compliments! There will be an acrylic cover and real jarrah finish on sides and rear of the inner panels. :)

I am really curious to see the results.

Regards,
Enrico

Enrico, I am also very curious about the results other people will report. So far it only has been tested on my own system.

It's easy to do A-B testing if you use pinheaders for the connections (see picture) and make two sd-cards with the different software that is needed.

You can switch between hard- and software solution in less than 2 minutes. :)

Jürgen

Attachments

• BBB-DDAC-03.jpg
    BBB-DDAC-03.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 696
Last edited:
For the BBB-Hermes-Chronus users.

Found a way to connect the BBB directly to the DAC-Board.

No Mainboard needed any more.

Conversion to Right Justified Dual Mono is done by the botic driver and ALSA.

The sound even improved :)

If there is some interest I can post how to do this later.

It took some time to get it working, but actually the modifications are quite simple.

It has been some time from last so big buzz on the forum :) Thanks for a fresh winds jptz! Very interesting!

For the BBB-Hermes-Chronus users.

Found a way to connect the BBB directly to the DAC-Board.

No Mainboard needed any more.

Conversion to Right Justified Dual Mono is done by the botic driver and ALSA.

The sound even improved :)

If there is some interest I can post how to do this later.

It took some time to get it working, but actually the modifications are quite simple.
Hello,
Thanks for sharing, this is exciting news since I have the Hermes/Chronos on order. Btw, I recently installed the 1/2 clock delay circuit onto my red mainboard and I see that you had installed the circuit as well. Did you hear any improvement doing that and if so, did this new setup produce a similar improvement?

Thanks again!
Richard

Richard, yes maybe I would say the improvement of my new setup is going in the same direction as the 1/2 clock mod. But when you have done the 1/2 clock mod already and changed from waveio to hermes/chronus everything is on a higher level already, so it's difficult to compare. I would like to wait until this mod has been tested by more people before speaking to much about it. I also think the sound of the hermes/chronus depends more on the quality of the psu then it did with the waveio.

ck, I use the 45/49 Rhea modules.

I recently installed the 1/2 clock delay circuit onto my red mainboard and I see that you had installed the circuit as well. Did you hear any improvement doing that and if so, did this new setup produce a similar improvement?

Enrico, I am also very curious about the results other people will report. So far it only has been tested on my own system.

It's easy to do A-B testing if you use pinheaders for the connections (see picture) and make two sd-cards with the different software that is needed.

You can switch between hard- and software solution in less than 2 minutes. :)

Jürgen

Thanks Jurgen,

Excellent description!
About A-B testing: I would think it would be easy to just connect directly parallel to the dac boards and just leave the mother board connected. As long as you do not put in a signal on the mother board there will not be interference. And maybe, to be sure, disconnect the PS to the motherboard so the flip flops will be down. This can be done by taking out the 5v regulator.

Any reason why this should not work?

Regards,

Thanks Jurgen,

About A-B testing: I would think it would be easy to just connect directly parallel to the dac boards and just leave the mother board connected. As long as you do not put in a signal on the mother board there will not be interference. And maybe, to be sure, disconnect the PS to the motherboard so the flip flops will be down. This can be done by taking out the 5v regulator.

Any reason why this should not work?

Yes, I think this should work to get a first impression. Later I would make the connection wires between the chronus and the DAC-Board as short as possible to get the best result.

You also can change the parameters for the botic driver on the fly.

This two commands will change to Right Justified for the direct connection:

echo 16386 > /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dai_format
echo 32 > /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/blr_ratio

This will change back to i2c if you want to use the DDDAC mainbord:

echo 16385 > /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dai_format
echo 64 > /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/blr_ratio

It's not necessary to reboot the BBB in between!

You also have to change between the mpd outputs for botic and botic-split of course.

Don't turn up the volume to much while testing!
If you play accidentally a song with the wrong parameters it can give a horrible noise! :D

Regards
Jürgen