A nice dac to complement the Aleph-X.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Trying to improve an SACD 1000

Penguin said:
I am looking at the D1 design and it looks to be a perfect design to replace the HDAM based analog stuff in that player. What would i need to do to make the design work off of +-12V supplies?

The D1 output stage wouldn't run from 12V supplies and cannot easily be changed to work from rails that low. The changes necessary would include changes in topology and/or swapping the FETs with BJTs.

I think installting an extra power supply in your CD player is the best way.

Thanks

Hi AMT,

The D1 output stage wouldn't run from 12V supplies and cannot easily be changed to work from rails that low. The changes necessary would include changes in topology and/or swapping the FETs with BJTs.

I need to see if there is enough room in the SACD 1000 to do this. The player has CS 4397 DACS which put out balanced audio. Would the design tolarete the 2.26V DC offset coming out of the DAC or do i need to decouple with a CAP. Also can one increase the input impedance to say 470K to reduce the size of the cap needed?

dee
;-D

Ps image of the DAC circuitry in the SACD 1000 is on my ftp site
ftp://ftp.charm.net/pub/usr/home2/dcsipo/SACD 1000 DAC.jpgDAC Circuitry in the SACD 1000

Re: Thanks

Penguin said:
The player has CS 4397 DACS which put out balanced audio. Would the design tolarete the 2.26V DC offset coming out of the DAC or do i need to decouple with a CAP.

As far as I know, the CS4397 is a voltage output DAC, whereas the Pass D1 circuit basically is a cascode stage with current input... The good news is you can forget about the supply voltage problem ;)

Penguin

At the moment I am building an X-based analog outputstage as attaced for my Onkyo DX706 with SM5861 chip which has a voltage output with a DC offset at 2.4V, almost like yours. I don´t know if I can use the filtered balanced output at C7 and C9 to feed both the + and - inputs at the diff. pair or I have to ground R22 and disconnetct C7. Time will tell.

Attachments

• xoutput.jpg
    xoutput.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,822
Hi all,

Unfortunately, this interesting thread is going to die...

"Hi sparhawk,

The circuit is shown on first or 2nd page of this thread.
I´m working on X-ing it now, I´ll post it asap.

Uli "

I would be interested in the new results of Uli (hating signal caps, too. May exist simplier ways as well - w/o MATs - to realise the D1 dream?). After all, reading Stefano's experiences with Sony, this would be the general - high end! - solution for mass of DIYers.

And thanks to you all for your "open source intelligence"!

Laci

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.