A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
yeah the ampohm copper and polypropylene is quite nice. best medium budget combo would be a large polypropylene bypassed with small teflon. thats what i'll be doing, havent fully decided on the large cap, but bypasses will be vcap CuTF copper teflon. already have 2, just need another couple. my amp has 1mo inputZ, so I can probably forgo the large cap altoghether, but I want to maintain compatibility with variety of amps

Where did you buy the amphom copper foil & polypropylene? I think doesn't exist....I only know copper foil & poplypropylene: Amtrans AMCH Series & Reliable Capacitors PCU Capacitors.

Where did you buy the amphom copper foil & polypropylene? I think doesn't exist....I only know copper foil & poplypropylene: Amtrans AMCH Series & Reliable Capacitors PCU Capacitors.

here and anywhere else you can buy them. Ithere are far more polypropylene caps than that around. I do like the amtrans for small value, but I like the evox rifa PFR more, I just wish they made them in larger sizes; i'm trying out the relcap polystyrene extended foil caps RTE in my portable buffalo IV/headamp for feedback LPF filter.

edit, just noticed the ampohm is copper foil paper and oil, not polypropelene. in that case relcap is the go. mistakenly thought it was polypropelene because most of their other caps are based on that dielectric.

but realy nothing is swaying me from vcap CuTF, just need to decide on what the larger polypropelene caps will be

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yeah that's the question, what larger polypropylene caps be? foil or metallized?

My favorites polypropylene caps are:

Metallized: Auricap (very good ratio perfomance/price)
Tin foil: Obbligatos (very good ratio perfomance/price)

About small caps to bypass I prefer teflon over polystyrenes but polystyrenes are my 2nd choice, also I like foil over metallized & copper over tin, about value I mind 10nF = 0.01uF are right 0.1uF can be oversized & will create problems. I like your choice V-Cap CuTF copper foil & teflon film but are a little expensives 54$81 each 2-4 pieces at parts-connexion V-Cap 0.01 uf / 600V CuTF Series here my 1st choice for very good ratio quality/price is Sonicap Platinum aluminium foil & teflon film better than tin foil an affordable at 24$80 each Sonicap Platinum

hmm, i've never experienced any problems (subjectively) with 100nf bypass before, perhaps it has to do with most of my amps I always make sure they have very large inputZ, so really at that size they do most of the work. sometimes I will also add a 3rd cap in parallel at something like 100-1000pf for good measure. I will not rest until I have a servo on the output though :D no cap is a good cap IMO. as a general rule I tend to step the sizes by 1/100 so if possible I will use something like 10uf/100nf/1nf or 4.7uf/.047uf/470pf. its all jiggery pokery though :D

so my choices are of course the CuTF, already have 2 x 0.1uf and will get another 2
for large cap
auricap
jantzen superior
relcap

I already have some jantzen superior too, but only 4.7u and only 2, so I think my mind is pretty much made up on auricap, I wish I could find a large enough value film and foil that wasnt insanely priced, most are metalized, which is OK, but not ideal. I have had good experience with auricap and am getting some smaller ones for power supply bypassing in my rectifier and regs (my sigma22, sigma11 and salas regs), as they really are quite compact in the smaller values.

the obligato are just too physically large for me to consider and which I would love to get mundorf supreme, they are considerably more expensive than equivalent other brands. so you really pay for the name.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
My I/V, preamp, poweramp are all balanced Erno Borbely without any cap on the signal way, he uses servo to avoid DC.

Yes I also apply the rule 1/100 but only when you bypass films, sorry only if bypassing lytics with films is where I can't apply the rule.

Once I did a comparison test between Auricap 0.47uF/1500VDC vs Jantzen Superior Z-Cap 800VDC could you imagine which one the best?

yeah I know he does, i'm thinking of getting a couple of boards made up for his IV/line amp from his articles, as I have tried to contact his new distributor about buying some kits for regs and an IV and have not recieved a reply, myself and a friend from oz were throwing in together, so apparently he doesnt want our 2000USD. contacted erno just before he stopped taking credit card orders and he forwarded it onto the new kit guy in asia and I have not received a response. so yeah I like servo, but its a little tricky for this IV

not sure on your cap battle, I havent really spent any time doing any critical listening to the jantzens, though I do suspect they were the winner, the build quality is superb.

am I warm?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
yeah I know he does, i'm thinking of getting a couple of boards made up for his IV/line amp from his articles, as I have tried to contact his new distributor about buying some kits for regs and an IV and have not recieved a reply, myself and a friend from oz were throwing in together, so apparently he doesnt want our 2000USD. contacted erno just before he stopped taking credit card orders and he forwarded it onto the new kit guy in asia and I have not received a response. so yeah I like servo, but its a little tricky for this IV

not sure on your cap battle, I havent really spent any time doing any critical listening to the jantzens, though I do suspect they were the winner, the build quality is superb.

am I warm?

If you want I tell Erno that you needs I/V, what due to the fact is closing November 30 only accept payment trought banking order, let me know?

About caps war the winner was Auricap 1500V over Jantzen 800V so I learn a lesson: more voltage = more dielectric & more conductive material, but always is the subjective opinion what are you looking for: Auricap more body & Jantzen more transparent so finally you can select as per your own taste. I like too the Jantzen build quality but I think the Obbligatos have more build quality, a photo just for fun

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I never sent anyone pricing info, because until I received the matching parameters I had only a vague idea of the time that might be involved for each match (I was pretty clear with everyone I wouldnt be giving a price till I knew what was involved). I have not received the fets yet, although I expect them to be here early this week, but until I have done a few I dont know how long each will take and I also dont know how many matched sets I will have, going by opc's results I should get about 20 pairs out of 120, so 10 sets, now at least 4 of those minimum are gone just for myself and flocchini, so they are all gone I think, but you were in my list still despite the late resistor cancellation. I may get more matches with this amount and there will be some that are not as well matched, but still as well as most other matched devices.

I have also bought about 75 dollars worth of parts and another DMM to facilitate doing this properly, including a few parts for the power supply to allow better adjustment, a few parts to build a small but transparent opamp circuit to allow adjustment of signal strength of a 1khz wav file or synth signal for signal generator and some keystone test points that will accept the bananas on my DMMs when soldered into the circuit at the right points instead of using clips. still need to find some sip sockets or something to allow trouble free swapping of the fets.

@ Merlin, receiving a reply from Erno himself has never been a problem, but this new guy I havent heard a peep out of him, Erno and I have been chatting about the purchase for a while, but it took me realizing that I may not get another chance to get me to forget about the price, hes always been very helpful but he copied the email he sent to the new guy to me, so I know he recieved it, but that was almost a month ago now. TBH now with all my other IVs i'm not sure i'll buy the IV from him, I will probably just use the files to get a double sided board made up, but I do want some supershunts.

yeah i'll be going with auricap too I think, as I said i've never compared them, but I guess my eyes allowed the build quality to fool me that they might be better given the brief listen I have had with them.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
qusp
Erno Borbely is a good value for the money, once a time I spoked with him about the people don't understand his expensives prices, my answer was: well you aren't a machined byg tayloring manufacturer sold in all world supermarkets, your product are like Valentino, Coco Chanel, Balenciaga, Versace, etc. all hand made & designed by Erno so it's necessary to appreciate his work to really enjoy his products....

I vote also for Auricap for big caps.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Looks like the first few kits are starting to arrive so it's time to post up a parts list so people can figure out what's what.

All the parts will arrive in a small baggie inside the envelope, and it's important to use the list to identify each part before removing any of the individual parts from the reel strips.

There are 15 small reel strips in each bag, and it's easy to identify each part based on the quantity of that part, whether it's a capacitor or resistor, and the size.

It's very easy to lose parts, so be very careful when emptying the bag. Work on a clean surface, and don't take parts out of the strips until you're ready to populate them all.

Stephen:

I don't have anything in my email that indicated you wanted fets, are you sure you asked me and not qusp? I was never offering matched fets, but I did sell a few from the rail I had. I only have enough left for myself, so it might be best to talk to qusp about matched fets if you're interested in them.

As for the tent parts, I'll post a little tutorial on how to do that later today. For now, just don't solder Z1-Z8.

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• SMD Parts List.pdf
    24.8 KB · Views: 143
qusp
Erno Borbely is a good value for the money, once a time I spoked with him about the people don't understand his expensives prices, my answer was: well you aren't a machined byg tayloring manufacturer sold in all world supermarkets, your product are like Valentino, Coco Chanel, Balenciaga, Versace, etc. all hand made & designed by Erno so it's necessary to appreciate his work to really enjoy his products....

I vote also for Auricap for big caps.

I agree or I wouldnt be contacting him to buy some, but there is no denying the prices are high and the components prices higher for what they are, he has the most expensive jfets on the planet. but the man is a legend and sure knows what hes doing. I just decided that if they werent going to contact me to take my money, that if it does happen i'll get what I feel are his best and notable products and that IMO is his shunts, plus i'm kinda stocked for IVs and his need modification for use with the buffalo due to the resistive IV and somewhat high inputZ. even the version supposed to be for sabre has high input R. I also want his 325 headamp.

they are also even higher for me, because I would chose many different parts, I would not choose nichicon FG and would use zfoil in place of caddock USF and favor different films. so i'm paying dearly for parts I wouldnt use that will sit in my ever increasing 'spare' parts bin, just like the 50 left opver unmatched fets after this haha, suppose there will still be some people that will buy unmatched

anyway enough OT in that direction, lets get on with the show chaps

Last edited:
yes.. very high quality. thanks Owen.

In line with the post above, heatsinking method is an issue that needs to be worked out early on. Obviously short paths are the most ideal, but realistically speaking, would flying leads to a side-by-side sink arrangement kill the spirit of this circuit?

yes it absolutely would unfortunately. I dont see the problem personally, everything is there the pictures a couple pages ago show how, flat sink or floor under the board, mark it through the holes that are there to screw it down through and drill, then follow the illustration underneath. I dont understand the hesitation, adding flying leads will kill a large amount of dynamic range and may even cause oscillations

but owen, you might look at posting a PDF to scale of the positions for the mounting holes, might help these guys visualize it.

Last edited:
oh BTW I will have about 170 fets to match fromdue to an unfortunate issue we were sent 50 instead of 100, there were 2 rails in a bag marked 100 and when I got them out yesterday I thought to myself, jeeze that doesnt look like 100. sure enough was 50 and because we didnt contact them straight away they wont do anything about it, so had to buy another 100. I told them they should be able to tell by the shipping weight, its obvious their system thinks it sent 100, because thats what the label said, but surely there are other checkpoints, can they just ship what they like and if you get a big order do you have to count every single thing on the spot to make sure its right? dodgy....

so I had 20 already, so 170 total, so will probably be able to get more matched than thought but wont make any more commitments yhet, buoldig up the test circuit i the next couple of days, but wont have all DMMs and parts here for another week or so

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.