a new multibit DAC chip Arda technologies AT1401

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well the ADC is a reality and seems to be a bit of a worldbeater, so we'll see I guess, but i'm about to give up waiting and dont intend to build another dac for a while after building the last 2-4 channels for my system. so i'll probably just build the AK4399 dac and be done with it for a while. maybe when its time to upgrade in a couple of years it'll bve available. I sent them an email just before.

not sure how relevant the head quarters is though TBH, they arent about to fabricate the devices in house

Last edited:
well the ADC is a reality and seems to be a bit of a worldbeater, so we'll see I guess, but i'm about to give up waiting and dont intend to build another dac for a while after building the last 2-4 channels for my system. so i'll probably just build the AK4399 dac and be done with it for a while. maybe when its time to upgrade in a couple of years it'll bve available. I sent them an email just before.

not sure how relevant the head quarters is though TBH, they arent about to fabricate the devices in house

Headquarters are revelant.

I would rather buy a TDA1541 from the far east than send this "place" money.

Sorry but this was just someone's wet dream.

JMHO buit its time to get this thread locked.

@ qusp - looks like they have a pizza joint at the first floor! Input the address in google maps and zoom at street level. You an look even on the street in the back (Cherry Ln).
First store on left is a "bushido" joint, then "Taqueria La Bamba", middle is "Zpizza", right side is "The Kitchen Table".
True, second floor looks like is one space, has access stairs on back (it might be vacated, partially leased, or just a mail box), but come on... it has no logo on the door!!! The pizza joint and bushido have one on back too!

Last edited:
@ qusp - looks like they have a pizza joint at the first floor! Input the address in google maps and zoom at street level. You an look even on the street in the back (Cherry Ln).
First store on left is a "bushido" joint, then "Taqueria La Bamba", middle is "Zpizza", right side is "The Kitchen Table".
True, second floor looks like is one space, has access stairs on back (it might be vacated, partially leased, or just a mail box), but come on... it has no logo on the door!!! The pizza joint and bushido have one on back too!

yeah but it looks like a classy pizza joint ;)

I didnt look or care about the restaurants though as i just looked straight at the top floor. not really sure what youre suggesting, that its a scam? I mean they only claim to have 3 products and 2 of them (the ADC and a lower power ADC) actually exist and are for sale at profusionplc.com, obviously its a start up, what would you expect for something that has so few devices? probably they just ran out of money for development and had no big backers; youde have a hard time getting finance on something aimed so squarely/specifically at niche high end audio applications in this economical climate. its a big undertaking; i dont really think its fair to judge and tbh do you think they owe us something? they havent taken any money and not delivered product so i dont care if someone is doing it out of their basement

@regal: sure it would be nice and having a press release before anything existed for sale was a dumb and annoying move, but you can keep your TDA, i'll have this anyday if it becomes a reality. i'd rather support a company making devices specifically for audio (rare as hens teeth) than some far east NOS dealer pulling parts out of junk and making 1000% on them

Last edited:
yeah but it looks like a classy pizza joint ;)

I didnt look or care about the restaurants though as i just looked straight at the top floor. not really sure what youre suggesting, that its a scam? I mean they only claim to have 3 products and 2 of them (the ADC and a lower power ADC) actually exist and are for sale at profusionplc.com, obviously its a start up, what would you expect for something that has so few devices? probably they just ran out of money for development and had no big backers; youde have a hard time getting finance on something aimed so squarely/specifically at niche high end audio applications in this economical climate. its a big undertaking; i dont really think its fair to judge and tbh do you think they owe us something? they havent taken any money and not delivered product so i dont care if someone is doing it out of their basement

@regal: sure it would be nice and having a press release before anything existed for sale was a dumb and annoying move, but you can keep your TDA, i'll have this anyday if it becomes a reality. i'd rather support a company making devices specifically for audio (rare as hens teeth) than some far east NOS dealer pulling parts out of junk and making 1000% on them

Time to post pictures, I call your bluff :D

qusp, I would buy their product if they deliver.
I just don't held my breath based on what I see and... my experience. Some start-ups just want to agitate the waters, come up with some crazy claims, a couple of lower-spec'd products and hope that they hit the jack-pot and some big whale will buy them for 10x their invested sum, just to get their "portofolio" before competition. Patent war...
I don't know how's in CA, but in AZ and VA the buildings in dedicated industrial-zoned areas don't have pizza's at first floor. And they have company logo at the entrance.

Last edited:
@SoNic - what price would you be prepared to pay? With PCM1704 at $50 this will at a minimum be double that if the posted performance figures are real. I'm no way in the market for a $100+ DAC, I'd rather cobble something together from cheap parts coz its more of a challenge. But that's just me :D

Joined 2002
Paid Member
any more word from the manufacturer?

While their website is still "live", I've heard from sources that I trust that ARDA has been bought by a large silicon valley company. I don't expect that their products will ever see the light of day. More likely, their engineering team will become a captive engineering team for that larger company and their work will be part of the new company's products. The new company does not sell discrete chips.

---Gary

Time to post pictures, I call your bluff :D

pics of the ADC? there was actually someone selling 3 or so in the FS section here last week along with 5 x es9018 i nearly bought them as i'm looking at ADCs for measurement and it appears to be as good as it gets.

heres what they look like,m not exactly diy friendly as its a BGA package so would have to be reflowed or with hotair. i missed getting one as i procrastinated about whether i was ready to add yet another project.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

heres the link at profusionplc.com

the ADC is impressive and does up to 24/384 PCM as well as DSD out, so would make a nice ADC for vinyl rips too.

thats really bad news Gary, typical and it would explain everything and why they havent spoke as they are probably gagged, very sad so the diyer loses again, well by the sounds of it not just the diyer

@SoNic - what price would you be prepared to pay? With PCM1704 at $50 this will at a minimum be double that if the posted performance figures are real.
For DAC - if they want to get the market, if they have a better product they should be at similar price with the well established product. I would pay if is sensible, not just anything. If they have an equal product, at same price, I still pay for the well-known and tested one.
For ADC is clear: I already sold my PCM1804 board (EMU1820 dock) and added $100 to get the AK5394 (on EMU1802m - it comes with a better DAC too - CS4398).
So yes, I did pay 100$ to improve the THD+N from -102 to -110 dB :)

While their website is still "live", I've heard from sources that I trust that ARDA has been bought by a large silicon valley company. I don't expect that their products will ever see the light of day. More likely, their engineering team will become a captive engineering team for that larger company and their work will be part of the new company's products. The new company does not sell discrete chips.
---Gary
That's exactly what I was expecting:
I just don't held my breath based on what I see and... my experience. Some start-ups just want to agitate the waters, come up with some crazy claims, a couple of lower-spec'd products and hope that they hit the jack-pot and some big whale will buy them for 10x their invested sum, just to get their "portofolio" before competition. Patent war...

"Intellectual Property" laws, created with seemingly good intentions, become just a hinder in technical progress and a source of income for lawyers and a stick for companies with big pockets.

Last edited:
If ARDA have been purchased by a large semi conductor company it wouldn't be a surprise. From what I understand there is a lack of good engineers in the USA too, I wonder who did the buying.

Hopefully all the R&D already done on the 1401 wont go to waste and we will still see a product like it released from somewhere at some point.

If you do some searching around you can find that the lease to the offices that ARDA occupy is still current and that their job is listed as work to do with semiconductors.

It'd be a shame if the DAC chip was shelved, the world could do with a recent and altogether different high performance alternative to the ESS products, I've been expecting TI to produce a new statement DAC for the last couple of years, but so far nothing has happened.

...they all seem to think that S-D is the bees knees.
If the multibit lovers would shell the 1-200$ for a pair of multibit cips, they would still develop them. The more they make of a product, the cheaper that product is. Altough, at some point you hit the diminishing returns level for a certain technology. Laser trimming has its comercial limits...

Since there is sooo little difference in actual audio performance between a MB and a S-D DAC that costs 1/10 of that, the regular market doesn't buy/request the expensive multibit.

I meant total costs of producing the device...

The largest factor by far is how many you produce.... as long as enough manufacturers want it any device can get reasonably priced. Unfortunately reasonably priced is not enough... only high-end manufacturers would be willing to spend a dollar more on a chip, and there are not enough of those to get high volumes...

Hence, it's either low-production cost and high volumes (meaning a cheap chip) or higher production costs and low volumes (meaning a very expensive chip). The price difference is 90% defined by the production volumes....

Its not my understanding of the economics of semiconductors that volume is 'the largest factor by far'. But then I've never worked in that business so please point me to a knowledgeable reference to this claim.

In my understanding things like die area, yields and testing time are major factors. Volume is an issue because the design costs nowadays are so high - nobody's going to go custom chip without the promise of significant volumes because those upfront costs are in the tens of millions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.